Scent Discrimination

How do you start teaching this?

Do you go straight to wood/leather and metal articles or can you start off with other things to get them the general idea?

Hey Shoemonster,

How is the garden hose going? :thumbsup:

A good retrieve helps first. One step at a time, to build a staircase.

Yep shoey LL is right you need the dog comfortably retrieving each of the various article types before you introduce scent. Let me know when your that far and I can walk you through it :thumbsup:.

Yep shoey LL is right you need the dog comfortably retrieving each of the various article types before you introduce scent. Let me know when your that far and I can walk you through it :thumbsup:.

I would also like to learn that.

Midge retrieves everything so I think we are ready for the next step. Could you please walk us through as well :)

I have not been involved in obedience trialling for many years. But.........lately have been thinking I might start again. Probably change my mind tomorrow!!! LOL.

Are the modern methods......regarding mat, still first introduced with smearing a suitable food on the (correct) article/s?. Are tie downs still the usual method? Or double tied downs for incorrect articles.

Yeah the hose is good! lol He's a funny dog, nothing is as exciting at home as it is when we're out though!

Dont worry, I'm not wanting to start it yet, just wanting to know how its done! lol and what order they get done in!

If you dont mind Ness, i would like to hear how to train it. We are at that level and we have done directed retrieves, just not sure where to start with scent discrimination.

When training scent articles I have always ensured my dogs were happy to retrieve any reasonable item I asked them too 1st!

Then I start by short exersize with either wood or leather - just 1 to begin with. Once dog has shown me he can do that easy as we move on and repeat with each article type.

oh, and i tell me dog to 'sniff' as the command.

Next I will put 2 articles down - same or different, wellspaced to start with

....then we basically work up, very slowly - I found the old saying of 2 steps forward and 1 step back applies to UD exersizes!

(oh and Lablover, Utility is all positive training as far as I am concerned, I would never dream of using negatives in UD especially, and basically use majority positive in everything nowdays anyway)

At least in training never forget if the dog has even just 2 items out it is scent discrimination, you don't have to ahve a whole set out all the time.

Annie

Andrew was saying on Sunday he doesn't tie down, he uses the full set of articles and the dogs just tend to "know" by then, but then I'm sure he would have a lot of background work in the dogs knowing his scent etc, which would make it different than someone who hadn't started all the foundations so early

My human brain finds it so hard to comprehend the way they can smell us!

Carlins Mum - Sorry, but how are you teaching the dog to pick up the one with scent?

I am a complete novice in this area, so need step by step instructions :thumbsup:

Edited by tollersowned

Carlins Mum - Sorry, but how are you teaching the dog to pick up the one with scent?

I am a complete novice in this area, so need step by step instructions :)

Same here. Step by step instructions PLEASE coz I am a :thumbsup:

Thank you

i have been shown start with some yummie food salarmi or bits of hot dogs

start simple by doing a straight line 4 or 5 steps so every time you take a step in the grass put the meat down under your feet push it into the ground and go from ther and slowly but steadaly you can use items

andrews dogs do tracking so wuld be used to his scent some dogs do just get it from the start others takea while

Ll tie downs are still used a lot i use the one at a time method usually start with one get them egtting it everywhere even under the chair then i place a second of a different material and toss the scented but well away from the unscented and slowly move closer until im placing it anywhere and they are egttign the scented everytime then dd another etc

however with my sheltie i used the tie down being a stresshead he just found it much easier that way hes not a great retriever anyway so i wanted it to be very clear which one i wanted so it depends on the dog

afriend of mine uses squeeze chees on the correct article until they get the idea it really depends on you your dog and what works best for them

At the Sue H camp she showed us lots of stuff on how she trains scent work.

Ness, you will have to ask her, it was excellent and I have started doing with my pup. :thumbsup:

In WA they don't use mats and she doesn't tie down. Some people think it teaches the dog to test for loose articles instead of using their nose.

For a complete obedience dummy, can somone run me through the whole task of scent discrimination i.e whats actually required.

Just might help me understand it all better thats all :cry:

Out of the rules for UD :cry:

3. SCENT DISCRIMINATION Maximum Points: 45

Principal Feature:

The dog, on command, to select the correct articles by scent and promptly retrieve.

Description of Exercise:

The dog must select by scent and retrieve an article, which has been handled by its Handler

in each of the three tests (i.e. leather, metal and wood). The Handler will select the order in

which the different articles are to be retrieved.

Preparation:

(i) On entering the Ring, the Handler must surrender the articles, which must be kept on

the Judge's table.

(ii) The Judge must designate one number/letter of each of the sets.

(iii) The remaining 12 articles must be placed by hand and at random at least 150 mm apart

by either the Judge or the Steward. The Affiliate conducting the fixture will provide a

canvas if requested.

The Exercise:

The Handler, with the dog sitting at heel, will take up position as directed by the Judge, at

least five (5) metres from and facing in the opposite direction to the articles.

The Judge or Steward will offer the designated articles to the Handler. Judging commences

at this point. Immediately after receiving the article, and before imparting his scent, the

Handler must show and say the number to the Judge. The Handler's scent must be imparted

only from his hands which must remain in plain sight at all times for the duration of the scent

discrimination exercise.

On order from the Judge, the Handler must immediately surrender the article to the Judge or

Steward who will place it among the other articles either on the ground or on the mat as

requested by the Handler.

The Judge or Steward must not touch the scented article.

On order from the Judge, the Handler and the dog will turn and face the articles. On further

order, the Handler may place his hand gently over the dog's nose and may give a command

to retrieve. The dog must go to the articles at a brisk pace, but may take a reasonable time

to select the right one provided that he works smartly and continuously and does not pick up

any article other than the one designated. After picking up the correct article, the dog must

promptly return and sit directly in front of the Handler, and hold the article until given a

command to surrender.

The dog must remain sitting in front of the Handler until after the Judge orders 'Finish'. On

the Handlers command, the dog must go briskly to the heel position, sit and remain in that

position. The Judge will take the article from the Handler and state 'Part Exercise Finished'

or 'Exercise Finished' and then 'Article Correct' or 'Article Incorrect' followed by 'Take up

Position' if further articles are to be retrieved.

If the wrong article is retrieved in any of the tests, it will be removed in addition to the correct

article and the remaining tests will be completed with fewer than 12 articles in the ring.

Praise may be given to the dog between parts of the test. The same procedure will be

followed in each section of the exercise.

Orders from Judge:

'Take up Position', 'Select your Article', 'Thank You', 'About Turn', 'Send (Send Your Dog)',

'Take it', 'Finish', 'Part Exercise Finished', 'Exercise Finished', 'Article Correct ' or 'Article

Incorrect'.

Deductions:

Zero Score: For a dog which fails on a single command to retrieve the designated article, or

refuses to give up the article, does not deliver to hand, or anticipates the Principal Feature

must be marked zero for the particular part of the exercise, and the Judge's Chart endorsed

'Non-Qualifying Score'.

Substantial: For the particular part of the exercise in which the dog is slow in going out or

returning, does not work constantly, plays with or excessively mouths the article, picks up the

wrong article even though he puts it down immediately, fails to sit or finish, or anticipates the

finish.

Minor: For that particular part of the exercise, for minor mouthing or poor sits or finishes and

where the article is dropped and immediately picked up without further command, if the

Handler drops the article after it has been taken from the dog, for failure to carry out any of

the lesser points of the exercise.

Note: A 'non-qualifying' score in a part of this exercise shall be deemed to be a

non-qualifying score for the whole of the exercise

The articles:

Scent Discrimination (UD):

Scent Discrimination articles must consist of three sets of articles comprising five

wooden, five metal and five leather. The size of the articles must be as near as

practicable to: wood 150mm long, 16mm square; leather – 150mm long 25mm wide

and a maximum to 6mm thick; metal – round 150mm long and min 10mm diameter to

max 16mm diameter and may be knurled but shall not be coated or covered with any

material.

Each set of articles must be legibly numbered 1-5 or alphabetically marked A-E and

the articles in each set must be identical.

The Scent Discrimination articles shall not be set out until the completion of the

previous exercise.

The Handler will supply a full set of Scent Discrimination Articles.

A mat of canvas or similar material (excluding vinyl plastic) for the Scent

Discrimination exercise for each U.D. ring and a spare mat will be provided by the

Affiliate and must measure 1.5 metres by 1.5 metres and be pegged at the corners.

The mat is to remain on the ground for the duration of judging and only removed or

replaced if fouled.

they put a heap of articls on the ground and then you hold one to add your sent the others dont have your scent then the dog has to find the one wit your scent

I udx they use clothes and the scent to find is the judges he scents a cloth and give it to you to show the dog and the dog has to find his scent

does that help

Thanks for posting that info SM - I've not had the chance to watch UD at a trial yet so wondered exactly how it was done. :laugh:

WMR - yes I got that bit, I just wanted to know more about how it was actually done :rofl: