Vaccinations

Ella had her second lot of vaccinations last night and I was told by the vet that is all she needs until her booster next year.

Is this right? have they changed it now? will this affect showing her etc? What happened to the 16 week booster?

I always thought that they HAD to have their third before venturing outside. All my other dogs I have or puppies I have sold were recommened to have a third booster shot. (that was in 2005 or before) ;)

Thanks.

I think it depends on the product used, but yes mine have only ever had 2 puppy shots. I have not had any problems with any dogs I have owned contracting the diseases. I do however know of one pup I sold that did get a mild case of parvo at about 6mths of age.

I spoke to the vet yesterday about whether my pup needs a 16 week vaccination. He has had a C4 at 8 weeks, the bordatella nasal spray at 10 (given before importing) and a C5 (vet had no C4) at 12 weeks.

Her answer to my questions was

The nasal spray is a once only vaccination and gives 12 months protection against the bacterial component of kennel cough. Not usually given to pups because of maternal antibvody interference but should have been fine given at 10 weeks.

The two vaccinations would be enough for coverage for distemper, hepatitis and parvo. The reason for giving 2 vaccinations for these is that maternal antibodies may interfere with the first. Older dogs only need one shot.

The only problem for him was the parainfluenza (viral kennel cough) component of the C4 & C5. They need 2 vaccinations for this and the maternal antiodies may have interfered with the 8 week vaccination.

The earlier the first vaccination was given the more chance of maternal antobody interference, which is why my pups first vaccination was given late.

So he only really needs a parainfluenza vaccination if the 8 week vaccination didn't take. My vet did not have the kennel cough vacination on its own and said the price would be similar to a C4 anyway. I have decided that another C4 would be overvaccination so am not giving a 16 week booster.

EDA I didn't ask about whether 2 vaccinations are neccessary for the bordatella if given by injection

Edited by Janba

Mine had the two puppy shots, which I was quite surprised at, as I have always thought it was three, but the vet did explain it to me. Of course annual booster shots too.

She also had the Kennel Cough nasal spray. I am pretty sure the first one was a C3, second a C5 but I will have to check the paperwork. I can't quite remember.

Janba - your post was very informative!

How come some vets are only doing two shots?

My pup had a vacc at 8wks, 12wks and 16 wks. Three vaccinations, is my vet trying to rip me off?

Then to have annual shots.

I payed $75 per vacc also.

Emm,

8 wks was FORT DODGE Protech C4 & FORT DODGE Protech Duramune C2i (C6) This shot done by breeder's vet.

12wks was VIRBAC Canigen KC & VIRBAC Canigen DHa2P (C5)

16 wks same as 12 wks shot. (C5)

Im already getting iffy with my vet $22 for one tablet of drontal allwormer. Last time i buy worming from him!

Ok here we go - First vaccination was a Protech C4 - for Canine Distemper, Adenovirus, Parvovirus and Parainfluenza Virus.

2nd Vaccination has got me a bit stumped. All Protech, but three different kinds ;)

Well one is the nasal spray - Bordetella bronchiseptica, Canine Adenovirus type 2 and Parainfluenza.

And there are two others obviously administered together.

Protech Duramune C2i for Canine Coronavirus, Leptospira Icterohaemorrhaglae

Protech Duramune C3 for Canine Distemper, Adenovirus and Parvovirus.

This was as per recommended by the vet, but now I'm a bit confused.

I thought Corona Virus was not in most places? Quite possibly we've gone a bit overkill with the vaccines :( I'll have to look it up.

Emm,

8 wks was FORT DODGE Protech C4 & FORT DODGE Protech Duramune C2i (C6) This shot done by breeder's vet.

12wks was VIRBAC Canigen KC & VIRBAC Canigen DHa2P (C5)

16 wks same as 12 wks shot. (C5)

Im already getting iffy with my vet $22 for one tablet of drontal allwormer. Last time i buy worming from him!

Ok it looks like you had the same first vaccine as me except you had the Protech Duramune C2i as well. And I had that one for the second shot.

You had VIRBAC brand for the second and third, maybe it's how that brand works? Sorry I don't know much about this.

What size is your pup? I was getting drontal for a Chihuahua for $1.40. I know she is very small but $22 does sound a bit ridiculous. Maybe someone else will know for sure though.

Emm, my boy weighed in at 8.2kg.

I had never heard of Virbac only Protech.

Surely 8.2kg is not enough to justify $22! Wow...I think you may be getting ripped of Monie, at least for the wormer.

Coronavirus - yes, that's what I thought too. I live in the Wide Bay area of Qld, not far north enough to be at risk, I expect.

I can live with being ripped off, but I hope that it isn't detrimental to vaccinate dogs against a disease that will not effect them. You know how you can go overboard with worming products. For example using a broad spectrum product such as Advocate if you don't need to. I'll have to look into it more I'm afraid before I can say :mad

It does depend on the vet and the type of vaccine... My pup had a protech duramune c3 vaccine at 6 weeks, then at 12 weeks old had a fort dodge C4 vaccine plus a protech nasal spray thingy for the bordatella. I chose not to get the 16 week booster but the vet wanted to give it. She just had her 12 month booster and hasn't had any problems despite skipping the 16 week shot.

ETA: if the vet said that it'll be fine till her 12 month I'd take his advice. Just wait the usual 2 weeks after the shot before taking her out and you'll be fine to start showing her then

Edited by Seita

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...88813&st=15

Here is a link discussing the C7 vaccinations (which include the Coronavirus and Leptospira like what I had).

When I take into account where I live, I do believe I got ripped off. My vet's have always been so good :mad I should ask them about it next time I'm there.

Sorry Risyntira for hijacking your thread!

RRP for Vet Drontal is around 7.50/8.00 so I would certainly be checking on that one- may have just been a computer mistake. Be aware that Vet Drontal is different to supermarket Drontal as it does Giardia.

VIRBAC are definitely a 3 x Vacc schedule, regardless of the first Vacc brand if moving to Virbac you would still need to do 2 more Vacc's for full protection.

Cheers,

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I didnt take any notice of the vet bill just signed it duh! so when i got home and checked it thats when i did ring back and ask why i had been charge $22 for drontal they said thats the normal price, then i checked with local pet stores and new id been ripped off.

Wish i new that bout VIRBAC but why would a vet tell you, i guess thats how they make there money.

If i had of got PROTECH is that when you only have the two shots?