Stem Cell Research

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick update - my boy is considered a good candidate and will have the procedure done at the beginning of February. He will be having both knees and elbows done (hips are okay and back is good). Very excited by it all and can't wait to get it done!

I know that stem-cell therapy for lymphomas of the bone marrow has been used in research going back a long way and that it is a procedure which is used today. Is it becoming a more viable therapy for a wider range of dogs, and with better outcomes?

Hi Aidan2, yes bone marrow transplants have utilized hematopoietic stem cells for many years. These stem cells are what generate new blood cells.

For osteoarthritis treatments we use mesenchymal stem cells, as these are what assist in the development of bone, cartilage, muscle, fat and myocardium tissue, along with other tissues an adult organism might need to regenerate.

Amoung the equine world bone marrow stem cell harvesting is offered but I'm not sure of the surgery required, or the outcomes. For blood disorders it makes sense to use the hematopoietic stem cells, however in recent years the potency of stem cells found in fat, the mesenchymal ones, has proven to have a wider application, plus ease of harvest.

I'm unsure if any other organizations are culturing hematopoietic stem cells, would be very beneficial. Prof Richard Boyd has done vast amounts of work to successfully culture mesenchymal stem cells, so hopefully bone marrow transplants won't be anywhere near as painful for humans in the future. Blood derived cells are harder, due to the varying blood types.

Edited by Inevitablue

Don't stress skyesblue, two elbows will take all of 5 minutes.

I know the vet who is doing it, and they seem very professional.

Thanks for your supporting words.

All went well today and i am really suprised that she is not limping (well no worse than she normally is). Looking forward to the next few weeks and hopefully some positive results.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates? How are your doglets progressing?

Here is mine...

My girl is no longer in pain! She plays, she smiles, she is the mistress of the ball :thumbsup:

However, she is still limping a little on walks and I am hoping to repeat the treatment with intravenous injection of stem cells (rather than the intra-articular injections).

Our fantastic vet, Angus from Hornsby Vet Hospital, with kind help from Inevitablue will hopefully make it happen for her.

• 5 weeks later...

When is the treatment Fozzie?

On another note....

Kluska's stem cell treatment revealed a couple of other challenges - back pain and knots in her muscles. We took for chiro, trigger point massage and acupuncture. Fantastic improvement!

My girl is a teenager again! I am so happy :)

Edited by HonBun

• 2 weeks later...

My boy had his operation on Tuesday. 5 separate injections, both elbows, knees and one hip. Everything is going well so far. He seems quite comfortable and is bouncing around. My partner works from home and so sees him all day and thinks he is moving more freely.

We'll see over the next few weeks how it goes. Interestingly, my boy was also having muscular issues and spasms arising from his joint problems. He has had two cortisone injections in his back (prior to his stem cell therapy) and the benefit was immediate.

Glad to read it's going well for you HonBun :)

Fingers crossed for wonderful recovery :) Please keep us posted

We had intravenous injection ("booster") yesterday. We are also continuing chiro + trigger point treatments. (The back and muscle problems were caused by her underlying joint issues)

The outcome is WOW WOW WOW WOW.

I have a little puppy here not a somewhat mature lady.

When is the treatment Fozzie?

On another note....

Kluska's stem cell treatment revealed a couple of other challenges - back pain and knots in her muscles. We took for chiro, trigger point massage and acupuncture. Fantastic improvement!

My girl is a teenager again! I am so happy :)

Would you possibly pm me where you have had it done? As I know a newfie girl that could possibly benifit from this, thank you if you can :)

I am on a Newfoundland Forum and a few have had it done successfully on their dogs

These were some websites I have looked at

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/912929--stem-cells-therapy-has-lexi-wagging-again

http://www.adiposestemcell.com.au/index.html

Edited by newfsie

Newfsie, I will send you a pm sharing experiences and send you some links.

I will take your request as an opportunity to thank the following people for my brand new, active puppy aka 7+yo bully girl:

1. Dr Angus Martin from Hornsby Vet Hospital (http://www.hornsbyvet.com.au/OurPractice/OurStaff/tabid/18630/Default.aspx). He did the stem cell treatment. He is wonderful - professional, knowledgeable, very caring and a lovely person. (He is our vet)

2. Dr Emily Yan from All Natural Vet Care (http://www.naturalvet.com.au/content/content.aspx?l1=NAT0002600). Really good chiro and trigger point therapist and vet (thank you CavsRcute for recommendation)

3. Our own DOL Inevitablue who has patiently guided us through the stem cell journey

Edited by HonBun

My Staffy had Stem Cell Therapy on the 21st of December on her elbow.

From my side I have to say I havent seen any great improvement, the big test will be winter when effect of her problem becomes more pronounced but even now her limp is similar to what it was previous to the procedure.