Up To 80%claim Vs 100%claim

ka89

Hi there,

Since I saw the pet insurance problem thread and realised it might easy cost few grands for a single operation/illness, so pet insurance is definitely needed. I have quoted by few companies such as RSPCA, pia, woolworth and pet plan. Only pet plan offers 100%claim and others offer up to 80%.

Here is the maths, up to 80% claim is way cheaper than petplan's 100%. Around 400-500per year vs 860(checked). Same excess 150.

In my case, my goldie cookie is 3months old, I don't know if he can be very ill until he become an adult, so my partner wanted to give cookie the very best plan to cover his potential bills at least for 2years.

Roughly calculate If a operation/illness needs more than $2000, the pet plan works well, otherwise(<2000) the others have advantage(add up cheaper than petplan). It seems petplan is more suitable for potential high cost operation dog.

To be honest I have no idea how likely is a 3months old puppy needs operation/illness($2000+).

From your experience, do you have any puppy needs a big bill until he/she's 2y/o?

Ka

Edited by ka89

I'm in Melbourne and it costs about $1000 per night for you dog to stay in energency overnight . This incldes a blood test and fluids but nothing else (ie this is before you dog has had any medications or OP) so $2000 for a condition isn't much at all.

Their terms are different too. PP will cover a condition for life and will pay for that condition to your limit every year. The others might cover the condition for life, but will only got up to the annual limit for the life of the dog for that condition.

If you're thinking about insurance , get it ASAP. Everything that happens between now and when you get it will be an exclusion. For example, if your dog gets a UTI before you're insured then UTI's will be excluded for life.

Petplan offer genuine ‘Covered for Life’ cover, designed for pet owners concerned about their pet developing a long-term, chronic or reoccurring illness. Our ‘Covered for Life’* has a 100% rebate on vet fees, less fixed excess and unclaimable items. We are the only pet insurance provider in Australia that offers a 100% rebate on vet fees.

They have a bit of trouble figuring out 100% means. A bit like the phone companies and the word "unlimited".

They're backed by Allianz - which I'm completely allergic to since I had a custom car policy with a lot of extras added on to my 4WD and they wouldn't pay for those (the custom luggage cage, the roo bar, the roof rack, radio fittings... etc).

There's only two companies backing pet insurance in Australia - Allianz which has an excess and Hollards which has introduced the 80% 20% rule. pet insurance seemed like good value when I first got my dog over 5 years ago but I'm really not sure about it now. And the premium seems to go up by between 30% and 60% each year (for hollards).

And Hollards can be niggly about paying for subsequent but similar items tho sometimes their retailers stuff up and they have to pay eg if your dog has six lumps - Hollards will try to pay for only the first lump off and then you have to pay for the next five even tho it's the same operation. Why the vet itemises it separately I don't know. But if you get a quote from the vet and then ask your insurance how much they'd pay - they say 80%... and you're covered. Sort of.

It becomes less and less worthwhile if you have to claim for any injury on a body part your dog has two of eg does one ACL - no cover for the other one. Needs cataract surgery? only one eye is covered... WTF.

Petplan told me if my dog required surgery for her other cruciate it was covered, I asked specifically.

That is very interesting. Did the first surgery occur before or after commencing insurance for that dog?

If the dog you plan to cover does have a pre-existing condition (eg. some kind of stifle issue)and you join the insurer and the six month time period elapses before the vet decides that it is something that will require surgery, would that then be covered by the insurance? Or does the policy require you/your vet to list a pre existing condition that may potentially require surgery in the future?

Her surgery occured years after taking out insurnace. If she had had a knee problem prior to insurance being taken out - it would be in her vets notes - then she wouldn't be covered.

You have to supply a copy of vet notes when you apply for cover. She had had conjunctavitis and kennel cough before taking out insurance so wasn't cover for those for 12 months. After that I asked for a review and those conditions were removed. The conjunctavitis was from beach sand getting in her eyes, the kennel cough from a moron bringing a puppy to PPS that was coughing.

I shall ask again and then get it in writing shortly.

Okey dokey. Thanks :)

I find insurance terminology extremely confusing :o Excess, etc. I guess I haven't had much to do with organising insurance policies in the past except "make sure we're covered" LOL. :laugh:

Now as I have a question regarding another insurance company, I guess I should start a new thread on it. :confused: