Indoor Toilet Training

willow2606

hi all, could anyone please help. i have a close to 6 month old cavalier who is no longer using her pee pads... I've tried the pee here drops and the grass toilet training and she does not even have a bar of it. i even have a cat litter tray (as i have cats too) but she doesn't even have an interest in that. the problem i have is that when were at work all day she is in her own little room and only uses her pee pads in there sporadically. she sees them more as toys than a toilet and i do not have all day to sit and watch her to train her and i do not want to do cage training as it is not fair to have her in a cage for 7 hours while we're at work. it also doesn't help that she doesn't display the normal "i need to go" signals... there is no walking in circles, no sniffing... nothing... just goes randomly when she finally realises she needs to go... she'll even walk and pee at the same time... she will wait for us to leave the room before she'll pee all over the house... I thought maybe this was attention seeking behaviour, but we don't react negatively or really at all. we've tried all the positive training techniques i can find. I cant train her for outside until i get her trained for inside properly... any advise would really help...

feeling lost and beaten down...

Have you had her vet checked? No signs (assuming no symptoms of needing to go at all, not just very subtle ones) is very odd! Could she be incontinent?

thanks she was vet checked not so long ago and was give the big tick of approval... but will ask vets again when she is desexed on friday...

Hi .

A couple of things -

"cage" /crate training does NOT mean pup stays inside a crate for 7 hrs at a time ..

In a smallish room , a six month old would possibly be bored - so pee pads are certainly a good toy :)

How did you first toilet train her ? Did you use rewards ? have you taught her a particular place and/or word that she has now 'forgotten'?

Has she been to the vet in case she has an infection?

if she is not speyed, there IS a possibility she may be coming in season for the first time .... bitches , under the influence of hormones, pee everywhere to 'advertise'

if she is spending all day in a small room ..and then all night .. she possibly is not learning to toilet well away from her bed & food .... she has learned to toilet indoors now ...

I suggest getting her vet checked if you haven't - then we can help you with her training :)

" i do not have all day to sit and watch her to train her "

:( You may have to make the time - at least on a couple of days . She cannot learn what YOU want , without a lot of help from you ;)

She isn't giving you signals because she doesn't have to nor been train to ,she doesn't now what is expected .

Most dogs are very proud & clean so convincing a dog that toileting in the house is right is hard .

At her age she should be trained & in a good toilet routine but the issue you have is she has no routine of "where" should toilet .

So what is your long term plan,

Dog will always be required to toilet inside?

Dog will have access outside & expected to go outside .

At present when you are home what is her toilet routine ,do you make her go inside or do you take her outside .

Where does she sleep at night & is she clean over night ?

You have to realize at present you have taught her the house is for toileting in that is her yard & you need to decide what routine you want & yep you will have to be patient & watch & re enforce .

Chances are in her room she wants to be clean & not toilet in her "space" so the rest of the house is for the loo because she has no idea about going outside .

If you want to use the grass loos then teaching her to toilet on grass becomes more normal & friends buy proper turf & place it in a tray because its normal like the dogs yard .