Beagle Puppy And Poo

SeeGee

Hi everyone,

I have a beautiful 3.5month old beagle pup we have names Charlie. We love him to pieces!

I have been told that this can be a normal thing for beagle pups to do - he like to eat his poo!

To help combat this, what we are doing is simpley removing his poo as soon as he eliminates.

Sometimes we miss it when we are at work, but when we come home we go outside and get

rid of it.

Has anyone else successfully dealt with this, and if so, what methods did you try? Im finding it

quite frustrating as there always seems to be a piece we have missed, and sure enough, Charlie

is chewing on it.

He is a lovely dog, with a gentle nature, gets a little excited when guests come but calms down once

put outside for 1/2 an hour then allowed back in.

We are first dog owners :-)

Thanks!

Jacqui

Hi Jacqui

Poo eating (Coprophagia) is a very common behaviour in dogs. Unfortunately, many beagles seem to do it. I have one that does it occasionally but not with "fresh" faeces. As long as I pick up poo morning and evening he doesn't get much of a chance.

Others may have better advice.

How about some photos of your baby.

We are first dog owners :-)

Thanks!

Jacqui

Sorry, if I'm mistaken, but didn't you have a Boston in 2007?

decrease the undigestable portion of his diet to make the poo unpalatable.

either add a little pinapple juice to his food or decrease the bulky dry and add raw meaty bones/offal+carcass+scraps mince

there wont be much left to eat if it is digested properly

We dog sat megan for our very close friends for 12 months whilst they were o/s. Completly different experiance lol. Megan was fully trained, quite independant, and though we loved her, not ours. We went to visit recently (they have settled in Innisfail, we are in Brisbane) when we became God Parents to their little baby boy (and to Megan and Moby - 2 bostons now!) and Megan remembered us without question. It was lovely to have such a loving greeting. For some reason, looking after Megan was easy, if there was a problem we would just ask her parents via email (there was never an emergency).

So, I guess my husband and I consider ourselves to be first time dog owners.

We dog sat megan for our very close friends for 12 months whilst they were o/s. Completly different experiance lol. Megan was fully trained, quite independant, and though we loved her, not ours. We went to visit recently (they have settled in Innisfail, we are in Brisbane) when we became God Parents to their little baby boy (and to Megan and Moby - 2 bostons now!) and Megan remembered us without question. It was lovely to have such a loving greeting. For some reason, looking after Megan was easy, if there was a problem we would just ask her parents via email (there was never an emergency).

So, I guess my husband and I consider ourselves to be first time dog owners.

I love Bostons! They look like such clowns.

Beagles are pretty good too :thumbsup:

I've never owned a beagle, but I've heard about their penchant to eat anything. Would it help to deter him if you sprayed the poo with something foul tasting, such as woundgard, so he learns it tastes bad? (Although I would have already thought it would taste bad)

AHHHAAAHAHAHAHAH! :thumbsup::laugh::rofl: My Beagle does this too! Disgusting but.....he prefers poo of the feline variety. Thanks very much to the all wandering cats in our neighbourhood? Our cats are inside cats only and he likes to try and sneak in to the kitty litter. Oh and the other favourite pass time is trying to get the lid of the nappy bucket.......EWWW!

decrease the undigestable portion of his diet to make the poo unpalatable.

either add a little pinapple juice to his food or decrease the bulky dry and add raw meaty bones/offal+carcass+scraps mince

there wont be much left to eat if it is digested properly

Any idea how much pineapple juice per feed? I have this problem occasionally too. Dogs, how can a bundle of such love be so digusting all at the same time.

Totally agree. My rescue girl poos then turns straight around and eats it. It may be a behavioural thing from the conditions she was kept in before being rescued, not sure but it's hard to break. I yell at her if I catch her but I work so she merrily eats it all day. I pick it up before work and after work but she sneaks one in at night or while I'm at work.

You don't want to put your face near her as she is always burping and it smells well............ :thumbsup:

She can burp in a room before you walk in and you know she's been in there. :p

Mine get raw meat, bones, sardines and Bonnie dry food. So should I cut the dry food?? Add pineapple juice to their dinner?

I have busted my other beagle poo eating but not as much and may just be doing it to copy her. His breath is always nice.