Please Buckle Up Your Best Friend

Baby Dragon

I've posted bits and pieces in other threads, but I thought it might be helpful to have all the info on dog seatbelts in one place.

This is a subject I feel very strongly about. When I first got my dog, I didn't really think about safety in the car because as a newbie dog owner nobody really gave me the information I needed, and I didn't see it as a priority. I used to travel around with my dog loose in the back seat, or sometimes I'd tether him in the back seat via collar and leash. Then I moved on to a car harness 'seatbelt' that wasn't safety tested.

Finally, after talking to other dog owners, I wised up and learned that many harness 'seatbelts' are really just tether harnesses - they wouldn't protect your dog like a seatbelt would. They're useful for keeping the dog on the back seat but they aren't really proper seatbelts.

There are two brands of dog seatbelts that I know of that are safety tested. They are the PetBuckle and the Ruff Rider Roadie.

The Ruff Rider Roadie website says that their seatbelts are independently tested to human seatbelt standards http://www.ruffrider.com/about.html

and the PetBuckle website says that their seatbelts are also tested http://www.immioutdoors.com/petbuckle/why_petbuckle.htm

Video of a PetBuckle safety test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts4sMQA4zqA

Both of these brands come in different designs, and I've tried two of each of their different designs.

This is my experience (with a Lab and a Lab X):

Roadie Elite

Pros: It sits nice and snug on the dog, and it seems like a dog would have a hard time getting out of one on it's own (though I've heard of dogs that have!) It's straight forward and doesn't need adjusting to put it on the dog (it's non adjustable.)

Cons: It's a bit hard to put on the dog, and you have to lift the dog's legs up pretty high to put them through the loops. I personally wouldn't use it on a dog with any joint problems. I also found that my dogs needed one size bigger than it indicated on the sizing guidelines, but that probably depends on the build of dog. The loop where the seatbelt threads through is small and it can be a little bit difficult to get the seatbelt through it. The harness is non adjustable.

Roadie Basic

Pros: I found it easier to put on the dog than the Roadie Elite in that the loops opened up bigger so I didn't have to lift the dog's legs up quite as high. I still wouldn't want to use it on a dog with joint problems. The loop where the seatbelt goes in is bigger than the one on the Roadie Elite so it's easier to put the seatbelt through it.

Cons: There are 3 clips to do up when putting it on the dog and it can be a bit tricky to get the hang of putting it on the dog at first, but easier as you get used to it. It doesn't sit as snugly on the dog as the Roadie Elite and it's a little more bulky.

Here's a video that shows the Roadie Elite and Basic

PetBuckle with silver sliders

Pros: This harness is very easy to put on and take off the dog. The harness is very adjustable, and you can open the loops right up so you don't have to lift the dog's legs up as high as the Roadies to put them through the loops.

Cons: It doesn't seem to sit quite as nicely on my dogs compared to the Roadies. The loop that sits on the dog's chest and goes around the front legs sits a little further forward than what I would like (more on the dog's armpit/leg than the chest.) The harness doesn't go as far down the back of the dog as the Roadies. The harness tends to slide sideways (but that might be because I didn't do it up tight enough?) and unless you have a dog that willingly does a 'down' in the car, it would be difficult to thread the seat belt through the top loop unless you have the PetBuckle teather or unless you have a small dog. You have to re-adjust this harness every time you put it on the dog (although it's very easy to do.)

PetBuckle with red clips

Pros: I found this to be the easiest to put on and take off the dog. You don't have to put the dog's legs through any loops, so I would recommend this harness as the best if your dog has joint issues. You don't have to keep re-adjusting the harness each time you put it on and take it off the dog.

Cons: About the same as above 'PetBuckle with silver sliders.' One difference is that so far I haven't found this harness to slide sideways as much as the PetBuckle with silver sliders, (but that may just be an adjustment thing.)

I like all of the seatbelts for different reasons.

Note that the size and build of your dog will have a great impact on how well a seatbelt fits.

Where to buy?

Waggle has the PetBuckle

ebay has PetBuckles and Roadies from time to time

Edited by Baby Dragon

I'd love to read any information others have about car safety for dogs or if they know of different brands of safety tested dog seatbelts :confused:

If you own a safety tested dog seatbelt maybe you could post a description or review of it, or some photos :laugh:

Edited by Baby Dragon

I have the PetBuckle harness (with the seatbelt style clips)

For me:

Pros- Easy to get on and off, easy to adjust (and would fit almost any dog)

Very VERY strong!

The fact that this harness has been crash tested is also a very big plus :laugh:

The seatbelt tether (can be bought as a set with the harness or on it's own) is fantastic too.

Cons- The belt seems to slip around on my dog as it slides through the chest piece ending up bigger on one side (kind of hard to explain). Tightening the harness helps but I found that if it is too tight then it pulls up behind Kei's legs and is uncomfortable for him. I think I can solve the slipping around by adding some velcro though so this should fix both probs :laugh:

The seatbelt loop is very small so you really need the tether connection.

Not a harness that I would use for walking.

Hope that helps :laugh:

Why wouldn't you use it for walking?

Because of the way it pulls up behind his front legs. It is definitely strong enough but it doesn't seem to be the most comfortable harness around for walking. I dont tend to walk my dog in a harness anyway so not a huge issue for me.

I've not been able to find one that will accomodate a very large, deep sighthound chest and long legs. Have you? :laugh:

Ruffwear Webmaster is pretty good ;) BUT- it's not safety tested and has plastic buckles.

http://www.twobigdogs.com.au/ruff-wear-web...er-harness.html

I use mine occasionally in the car and it does the job but wouldn't trust it to hold up in an accident like the PetBuckle.

Why wouldn't you use it for walking?

Because of the way it pulls up behind his front legs. It is definitely strong enough but it doesn't seem to be the most comfortable harness around for walking. I dont tend to walk my dog in a harness anyway so not a huge issue for me.

I've not been able to find one that will accomodate a very large, deep sighthound chest and long legs. Have you? :)

Ruffwear Webmaster is pretty good :D BUT- it's not safety tested and has plastic buckles.

http://www.twobigdogs.com.au/ruff-wear-web...er-harness.html

I use mine occasionally in the car and it does the job but wouldn't trust it to hold up in an accident like the PetBuckle.

Ah ok, ta :laugh:

• 10 months later...

Thanks for this - I just followed the link from the recent car safety discussion. I watched the video and the Roadie elite looked simple and easy to use - is there anywhere in Melbourne to see one in person?

Thanks for this - I just followed the link from the recent car safety discussion. I watched the video and the Roadie elite looked simple and easy to use - is there anywhere in Melbourne to see one in person?

Not that I know of mushka. I had to get a friend to send me one from America.

In the car I use a ruffwear harness (that is actually the palisades backpack but without the packs on it) - I have not found anything as well made as it and Zero has been through 4 harnesses so far. He has had this one for nearly 2 years and it still looks fantastic. The straps are padded and for the first time, Zero is happy to sleep in the car with it on so it's comfortable for him.

IMG_5238-1.jpg

His has backpacks that attach to it but I don't use them anymore:

IMG_5213.jpg?t=1291863157

I will be buying this harness for any future dogs I have too.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree buckling up the dog is safe for the dog as well as yourself. I have a labrador who settles really well on the back seat (I think she's terrified of my driving, singing or taste in music :laugh:) and she always wears a harness but she gets uncomfortable on long trips and it seems too firm around her shoulders when she stretches out. I've ordered a 3 - 1 harness from Canine Spirit.com.au post-27927-1293968712.jpg which has a softer, wider front which should be more comfortable for her and has more room for shoulder movement when she's stretching out, plus it looks strong and safe. We're off down the beach on the 10th for a week so Ill be able to test the harness out thoroughly.

Crate user here. No more harnesses ... ever.

200km into a 300km highway journey and the pooch had chewed completely through the harness webbing! Not a sound, such a good traveller! :laugh:

I had no idea that I had a loose dog in the car and I shudder at the thought of the damage that could have happened to him if I had to brake sharply at high speed.

I had no alternate arrangements for him, no crate, no second harness. So I had to complete the journey with a loose dog in the car :)

Since then the crate has been employed, strapped in securely with human seat belts and the dog is safely inside, usually curled up asleep on comfy bedding.

Souff

I understand your angst with a loose dog, I've had one land on top of me after a rear end crunch from a truck, covered in scratches and one terrified dog later, I\we made sure that didn't happen again by erecting a cargo barrier. Luckily for me my current dog isn't a chewer and she's very settled in the car and really doesn't move around much. We travel interstate competing etc., she has a soft sided crate for comps and hasn't chewed at it either. If she showed the slightest hint she'd be destructive in the car I'd have problems as I have a small car, and her crate wouldn't fit, hence the harness option.