Topbuy.com.au

CareyJ

I am looking at getting a Canon EOS 450D Twin IS lens Kit with 18-55mm adn 55-250mm IS lenses. It will be my first digital SLR.

The best price have found this camera and lens kit for $1069 at JB Hifi but have just found it on topbuy.com.au for $858.65 (plus $45 shipping). This price fits my budget much better (although willing to go over budget) but it just sounds too good to be true but it all seems to look ok.

Has anyone bought any camera supplies from topbuy.com.au? or do you think buying it from JB is a better idea. Do people also recommend getting an extended warranty? And do you get a Canon warranty or retailers warranty?

That was an option. OH is going to drop in to JB this arvo and see how receptive they are to price matching to a website. He is much better at negotiating for things like that than me.

the JB price is pretty good considering with the online purchase you have to add postage and you should probably buy a warranty because I understand Canon wont cover it if anything goes wrong, whereas they will with the JB purchased one. When you add on those extras it makes the JB one look pretty competetive. I hope you can get a bit more knocked off it and I'd be going for the JB.

Edited by Kirislin

We went with JB in the end and they gave us a great deal. Very happy with my new purchase! I just really hate playing the games. We tried Harvey Norman because OH has got so much stuff from them and they were useless!

We went with JB in the end and they gave us a great deal. Very happy with my new purchase! I just really hate playing the games. We tried Harvey Norman because OH has got so much stuff from them and they were useless!

Did they give you a better price than you originally mentioned?

Congrats on joining the Canon club anyway, now start snapping. :happydance2:

Ted has an online price match, you fill in the form and put the link where you found it cheaper and they price match. In my case i found a lense i was looking for for $410. I sent the request through and half an hour later they had already got back to me. They couldnt do the lense for that price as it was a "grey import" they explained the difference to me and told me the would do it for $490. Considering the same lense was on special at that time for $595 and normally $630 i was VERY impressed.

Printed out the email and took it into a Teds store and they argued at first, when it was suggested that we would be in touch with head office they ordered it. Took two weeks to get there but considering the saving i was stoked!

Ted has an online price match, you fill in the form and put the link where you found it cheaper and they price match. In my case i found a lense i was looking for for $410. I sent the request through and half an hour later they had already got back to me. They couldnt do the lense for that price as it was a "grey import" they explained the difference to me and told me the would do it for $490. Considering the same lense was on special at that time for $595 and normally $630 i was VERY impressed.

Printed out the email and took it into a Teds store and they argued at first, when it was suggested that we would be in touch with head office they ordered it. Took two weeks to get there but considering the saving i was stoked!

Wow! I never knew about this! I would much prefer to buy from a retailer but sometimes the online prices are just too tempting.

Congrats on joining the Canon club anyway, now start snapping. :)

On line price was $900 including delivery, JB price was $950 and even then it was still $100 less than their advertised price so not bad. Plus we got a backpack and SD card all for less than the advertised price. I'll get filters and other things online when I figure out what I need I think. Harvey Norman wouldnt even entertain the online price, but I didnt think they would.

Congrats on joining the Canon club anyway, now start snapping. :)

On line price was $900 including delivery, JB price was $950 and even then it was still $100 less than their advertised price so not bad. Plus we got a backpack and SD card all for less than the advertised price. I'll get filters and other things online when I figure out what I need I think. Harvey Norman wouldnt even entertain the online price, but I didnt think they would.

that's a great price! Much better than the online because you will have Canon guarantee it if anything goes wrong. You dont get that with online purchases so you have to buy a separate warranty, and even then, if something goes wrong they have their own techs repair it, not Canon. You did really well! :)

that's a great price! Much better than the online because you will have Canon guarantee it if anything goes wrong. You dont get that with online purchases so you have to buy a separate warranty, and even then, if something goes wrong they have their own techs repair it, not Canon. You did really well! :laugh:

That's not true. You do get the Canon warranty when you order online from an authorised Canon dealer.

It is only when you order from a non-authorised Canon dealer that you need to check on the warranty included :D

that's a great price! Much better than the online because you will have Canon guarantee it if anything goes wrong. You dont get that with online purchases so you have to buy a separate warranty, and even then, if something goes wrong they have their own techs repair it, not Canon. You did really well! :laugh:

That's not true. You do get the Canon warranty when you order online from an authorised Canon dealer.

It is only when you order from a non-authorised Canon dealer that you need to check on the warranty included :D

Is this like Teds who sell online as well. I wasn't meaning them I was thinking more of places like DWI, Cameras Direct and DPP etc. If you dont mean Teds and other retailers who also sell online, then PLEASE share your sources.

Edited by Kirislin