Kennel Cough

My mum took her dog to the vet today to have him checked over - he had a 'cough' two or three times over the last few weeks that apparently sounded like he was clearing his throat. He only did it a couple of times but mum thought it should be checked. The vet has said it is kennel cough and has prescribed antibiotics for 3 weeks. Does this sound right?? I thought kennel cough was more of a constant, hacking sort of cough, not one 'cough' once or twice in a month? She is worried as she has another dog and a younger pup (last vacc today) and my sister has a pup that have all been in contact with him. If it was kennel cough wouldn't there have been a progression in the 'symptoms' after such a longish period of time? The vet made him cough by doing something to his throat and asked if that was what it sounded like. I am not a vet (obviously :) ) and have never had to worry about K/C but it doesn't seem right???

Kennel cough is viral, so antibiotics won't help. These are only indicated if the dog ends up with a nasty secondary infection.

Kennel cough doesn't last more than 3 weeks anyway, so why give antibiotics for 3 weeks? :) When the dog does cough it is usually worse with exercise, not just a cough every now and then.

The diplomatic thing to say is that the vet was erring on the side of safety, in reality the vet sounds like he/she doesn't have a clue :love:

My vet says he prescribes ice cream to soothe the throat! :p

Thanks Morgan :love: I said that antibiotics wouldn't help and that he would have been coughing more if it was K/C ! I agree, the vet was probably erring on the side of caution but to diagnose it from a history of two or three coughs over a few weeks seems a bit much. Thanks for the confirmation that what I told mum was correct :) (yay I do know something he he)

With any little fosters I get here that have kennel cough or are getting over it I give a little whipped cream to sooth the throat and I find they stop coughing and spluttering. (Just a little bit of cream or icecream though. Dont want any runny poos)

I have since spoken to mum again and she agrees that it isn't likely to be kennel cough (she didn't think it was K/C either) - her dog isn't coughing and hasn't done for about 2 or 3 weeks. I will pass on the tips for treating/soothing it but I don't think there is anything to worry about really. Will keep an eye on him. She is still going to give him the antibiotics but I told her to get a second opinion - I don't think you should over-medicate just in case :) Thanks guys

ETA she has been given Codeine to give him if he coughs too much (she told the vet that he isn't coughing but she said 'just in case')

Edited by kendall

I'd prefer to give a teaspoon of active manuka honey to sooth a throat (and help boost immune system) than I would cream or icecream.

It REALLY works AND its GOOD for them.

And us. :)

ETA: Purchase Active Manuka Honey from a Health Food Shop. It's more expensive but that's usually because you're not getting the watered down variety (and therefore less effective, if effective at all) that you might get from supermarkets.

Edited by Erny

the other thing that can accompany a cough is a heart problem..did the Vet check his heart out?regards BlackandTan

It sounds as though the vet is overtreating.

Prescribing antibiotics and codeine for a dog that coughed twice three weeks ago??

Anyone who has had a dog with KC will tell you how loud and frequent and unmistakable the coughing is.

I've just adopted a rescue dog who is getting over kennel cough. I came on here to ask what could soothe her throat, so it was great to find the answers already. Thanks everyone.

Kendall I hope your Mum's dog gets better soon. 3 weeks sounds like a long time for antibiotics, for what may be a mild dose of kennel cough. Maybe your mum could stop after one week if the dog appears to be totally over it??? Kenell cough is apparently really contagious, so it would be worth keeping a close eye on the other dogs. A dog has kenell cough for around a week before showing symptoms.

the other thing that can accompany a cough is a heart problem..did the Vet check his heart out?regards BlackandTan

Yep absolutely. Heart failure can cause a cough. There are lots of reasons a dog might have a cough. But 2 - 3 times per month? The dog probably had a bit of grass stuck in it's throat!!

Kendall just get your Mum to check with the vet that he hasn't prescribed the antibiotics for some other reason.

Sorry to butt in with a question of my own, but I thought it may be better than starting a new thread for a quick question. Do you use the same dose per kilo of cough suppressant for dogs, as you would for humans? I've searched, and can't find any info. on the safe dose. Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I am seeing mum today so will check that there hasn't been some misunderstanding with the antibiotics and everything else. I think I will go with her next time so I know what the vet is saying - it always helps to have another pair of ears I think :) It is always hard when you are repeating info that you may not have really understood or agreed with. She wasn't convinced of the diagnosis and kept saying that he wasn't coughing anymore but is worried that it may be something 'sinister' and what if...

He has been vaccinated with C5 - maybe that is why it is mild if it is KC?? Will let you know if things change.

kendall

ETA the dog is 11 months old

Edited by kendall

Thanks everyone. I am seeing mum today so will check that there hasn't been some misunderstanding with the antibiotics and everything else. I think I will go with her next time so I know what the vet is saying - it always helps to have another pair of ears I think :eek: It is always hard when you are repeating info that you may not have really understood or agreed with. She wasn't convinced of the diagnosis and kept saying that he wasn't coughing anymore but is worried that it may be something 'sinister' and what if...

He has been vaccinated with C5 - maybe that is why it is mild if it is KC?? Will let you know if things change.

kendall

ETA the dog is 11 months old

Sounds like a good idea. I work in health and it's amazing the difference between what's been said and what people take away from that: I overhear a lot of phone calls to relatives :) .

As been said already- it's a virus, so antibiotics only needed if there's a bacterial infection, too. It's like giving a person antibiotics for a bad cold- bad medicine.

My smaller dog had kennel cough. Seemed almost like he was trying to vomit at the same time. It's a definite, frequent cough. I was away when he had it and OH took him to vet- antibiotics prescribed and given. He'd been kennelled (with a current C5) and the cough was nasty, so I was happy to give them in case he also had a bacterial infection.

Codeine is a painkiller and causes constipation in humans.

I agree, no antibiotics for kennel cough unless it turns into an infection. And you will know if that happens, the dog will have green slime oozing from its nose and the mucous can sometimes even be bloody. There will probably be listlessness as well.

The Manuka honey is something I am going to try next time around.

You can use a cough mixture but NOT a cough suppressant as you need to get all that gunk up rather than have it sit on the chest and turn into pneumonia.

Sorry to butt in with a question of my own, but I thought it may be better than starting a new thread for a quick question. Do you use the same dose per kilo of cough suppressant for dogs, as you would for humans? I've searched, and can't find any info. on the safe dose. Thanks!

Kennel cough dose rates for Benadryl three times daily:

< 5kg = 1ml

6-10kg = 2ml

11-15kg = 3ml

16-20kg = 4ml

21-30kg = 5ml

31-40kg = 6ml

When my boy had kennel cough I found that "Strepsils - Dry cough Extra Strength" cough syrup seemed

to work well at easing his cough. In regards to dosage you would give the same as you would a child.

Working at a boarding kennel I have had lots of information on this as you would imagine.

And it's true that antibiotics are like a "placebo" that vet's usually give the dogs so that the owners

feel better. When, in reality, it is a viral infection, which providing there are no other complications,

usually clears up in about a week. That said, I have found the cough syrup to be effective in treating the cough.

Hope this info helps.

XXToughgirlXX