How Much Do Your Dogs Eat?

I was just wondering, how much does everyone feed their dogs? If you answer, please say how mcuh your dogs weighs.

My dogs eat 2 cups (small cups that came with the food), one in the morning, one in the evening. They are 40 kg.

Edited by Pink Panther

I have two dogs. my 9 year old 30kg golden gets 1 cup in the morning, and 1.5 to 2 cups in the evening. My 18 week old golden puppy, he weighs somewhere between 15 and 18kg I'd say gets 2 and a 1/4 cups in the morning and same at night of puppy food.

ETA: the cups are those small ones that come with the food.

Edited by GoldieGirl

Hey Pink Panther,

Mitchi (13mo)jrt 6.8kg - gets 1/2 chicken frame in the morning and 2tbs raw mince, 1tbs yoghurt and 1/2 cup dry food

Barker gsdxkelpie (13mo)23kg - gets 1 chicken frame in the morning and 3tbs raw mince, 1tbs yoghurt and 1 - 1 1/2 cups dry food

Hunta hamilton stovare 18kg - gets 1 chicken frame in the morning and 3tbs raw mince, 1tbs yoghurt and 1 1/4 - 1 3/4cups dry food (5.5mo)

If they don;t have frames in the morning they have the same as they do at night.

They are all a perfect weight, no excess weight and Barker is starting to mature physically as he is male.

Their dry is either Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken or Nutro Lamb and Rice puppy.

Yougurt is one with ab cultures and low fat

Mince is high quality mince.

ETA they have sardines instead of meat a couple of times week too

Edited by Kristie

Roggie (BC x ACD) is about 24 kg, he gets 2 cups dry food. Bella (BC x Kelpie) is about 19kg gets about 1 3/4 cups. We supplement with chicken frames every other day, and they get food scraps (bad, I know!) if we have some leftover steamed veges (they looooooooooooooooooooove broccoli & mushrooms!) & meat if the skin pack hasn't gnawed every last piece of gristle!

Both my dogs are about 4kg, they both get 3/4-1cup of dry (eagle pack or natural balance) and a few teaspoons of fresh meat, sardines or healthy table scraps. Or some nights its 1/2 cup of dry and three chicken necks each.

Kaos - Staffy, 16kgs, 2 cups of dry food and some fatty meat

Atlas, Bull terrier, 24Kgs, 1 cup of dry food and some non fatty meat!!

At is lazy and does nothing all day, kaos bounces off the walls ALL day

Edited by Terrorbull

I have 4 VERY active Curly Coats that run a lot of the day on the farm.

Jess - 11 months - 20kgs - 1/2 large can Bushes dog food with 1 Chicken frame or a couple of lamb hearts or tounges plus 3 cups of dry Bonnie Puppy Kibble

Scottie - 11 months - 40kgs - 2/3rds can Bushes dog food double the frames or heart etc and 5 cups of kibble Bonnie Puppy Kibble

Tarli - 18 mths - 35kgs - 1/2 can Bushes dog food - 2 Chicken Frames or heart etc and 3 cups kibble (Bonnie Working Dog)

Georgie - 4 yrs - 35 kgs - 1/3 can Bushes dog food - 1 Chicken frame or heart etc - 1 cup of kibble (Bonnie Working Dog)(major diet happening)

The can food is regularly substituted for raw roo, deer, rabbit or beef depending on on what is happening in our paddocks and what vermin need culling :rofl: and they get 2 - 3 eggs each per week and they get left over if there are any and occsionally rice and dairy products. The yougsters are also still receiving a calcium supplement but this will stop soon.

I have real trouble keep the weight on Scottie and Jess. Tarli has plateued and Georgie is on a diet, like the rest of us she had her babies and the weight just stayed with her :D and she is a reluctant athlete, prefering to jump onto the farm ute :)

Well that is my lot.

Cheers

K

Let's see, mine are both about 4kg and they get fed twice a day.

In the morning they get a 100g pouch of commercial dog food with a small handful of steamed veges mixed in. I divide that between the two of them so 50g plus veges each. Sometimes they aren't all that interested in the morning feeds and other times they are so hungry I also give them a slice of toast with cheese spread between them.

At night they each get about 100g of fresh chicken and steak cooked in the microwave.

They get a raw chicken neck each in the middle of the day most days (two each if the necks are really small) and I also leave out a small amount of dry food which they graze on if they are still hungry. The amount of dry food they eat varies (probably depending on whether or not they have their cheese toast, and how desperate they are for an extra feed :) ) but half a cup usually lasts a couple of days. They get the odd snack or two especially if I'm going out (chew sticks) and always a carob drop when they go to bed at night. Gotta have that chockie drop or we won't go to bed Mum. :eek:

Actually feeding them snacks when I leave the house or want them to go to bed works a treat at getting them where I want them to be but one could get a complex about how happy they seem to be about the fact that I'm leaving them. :D :rofl:

So I suppose if you add all that up they are eating somewhere in the vicinity of 1 to 1.5 cups of food per dog per day.

Thanx everyone for responses, I was asking this because I used to feed them 1 cup in the morning, 2 at night, and while we wee at lure coursing, a lady suggested that they should be eating less. She feeds her 40kg shapherd 1 cup a day!

IMHO, I think that's too little. I have lessened the amount that mine eat, and I'm happy with the results (well, solly runs around 2.7km with my bike everyday, stella's never runs, cruciates.), does anyone else think that's too little for a shep?

Guest Clover

My guys love their food, they live for food and Flyball :D. This will just be a guess because i dont measure their food i go by their body condition.

Clover: 8.5 year old Rottie x. 2 x 4 biccie in the morning. And dinner is usually about 1 -2 cups of mince (beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, rabbit what ever is on sale realy), 1 cup of vegies and some sort of offal. It equates to about 3 - 4 cups of food.

Elvis: 3.5 year old Border Collie, very active. Pretty much the same as Clover.

Tinny: 3.5 year old Border Collie, very active but overweight. Half a biccie in the morning. For dinner 2 cups of vegies, 1 cup of low fat mince or chicken breast (fat and skin off).

Harri: 6 month old JRT er.... hyperactive. He is back to 2 meals a day now. Brekky/ lunch 1/2 cup of mince, 1/2 cup dry. Dinner what ever the big dogs have but about 1 cup worth. Plus he may have a chicken neck before bed if he is hungry still. And training treats every day.

Wow, I knew that my guys had fast metabolisms but looking at what other people feed I am somewhat surprised.

I feed my 2 and a half yr old 27.8kg greyhound

half a dozen chicken necks

or 3 wings

or 2 drumsticks

or a brisket bone and biscuit bone in the morning

500gms BARF mixed with 2 cups of dry (cups being baking cups 250gms) plus sardines every night, plus treats...

Orson and Oi are 13kg. They get fed twice a day. They get 1/2 cup of dry food with some salmon/sardines/tuna/half egg in teh morning....depends on what I have....and then they have 1/2 cup of dry food at night too. They get treats such as biscuits, chicken wings, carrots etc.....

Oh yeah mine also get 'treaties'.

A pig ear or tendon at night plus a few bite size dog bikkies. I haev eagle pack holistic ones at the moment an dthey love them.

Or a beef strap or similar.

Thanx everyone for responses, I was asking this because I used to feed them 1 cup in the morning, 2 at night, and while we wee at lure coursing, a lady suggested that they should be eating less. She feeds her 40kg shapherd 1 cup a day!

IMHO, I think that's too little. I have lessened the amount that mine eat, and I'm happy with the results (well, solly runs around 2.7km with my bike everyday, stella's never runs, cruciates.), does anyone else think that's too little for a shep?

Bear in mind that the amount of food being fed will depend on the quality of the food as well as the activity level of the dog. :D

Edited by Georgie-boy

Jarrah is about 17kgs & gets a 1 pint measuring jug (think that's about 2.5 cups) once a day.

Jonty is about 5 kgs & gets 1 cup.

Both are extremely active & on Optimum Medium Breed dry food.

ETA - neither get anything else added to their food normally, only some treats when obedience training & their dry food is cut back accordingly.

Edited by MrsD

The lad gets one and a half cups of Advance Large Breed Growth morning and night...plus a quarter to half a cup in his puppy Kong throughout the day when he goes to his crate for a puppy nap. Plus a huge chicken neck last thing at night. He's around six and a half months and weighs 22.5 kg. He gets the odd Farrell biscuit (usually to keep his tummy from growling on the trip home from training) and a few Natures Gift training treats. He's a very busy puppy but sleeps an awful lot too.

Nova: 1/2 cup dry food and a chicken frame in the morning. Weighs about 21kg needs to get down to about 20kgs. He is just below kneeheight but is heavily boned and is a little podgy :p

Darcy: 1 cup dry food and a chicken frame. He actually wont eat any more then one cup of dry. Once we get back from Q'land we will be BARFing :love:

Would weigh about 20kgs now and is at perfect weight for his build.