After 2nd Vaccination

Just took my pup in today for her 2nd vaccination and she did really well.

She's been a little lethargic though and a little tender. Not in the middle of her back, but on her sides, just on her shoulder blades. Is this a side effect or should I be worried?

What side effects (if any) have other DOLers pups experienced???

That's no good!!!

I gave her a little honey to boost her sugar levels last night. It seemed to really help. She was still tender, but she went back to her (almost completely untouched) dinner and scoffed it all down.

She seemed ok this morning. She did her usual screaming lap around the living room with her little ball and was happily munching on half a roolami round when I left. She didn't squeek when I stroked around her shoulders, so maybe it's ok now. I'll have to check back on her at lunch just to make sure.

when mine had her 12week shot she was very whiny for the first 24hours afterwards... couldnt even pick her up without her squealing! she was completely off food aswell.

the next morning she was back to her usual self...

LENI- Thank you. That sounds just like my little poppet, Tahni.

I was a big sook last night and actually let her sleep with me from 2am onwards because her crying sounded pained....

Hope I haven't just set us back on our crate training too far! :D

My jrt swelled up and nearly stopped breathing.

After a trip to the vet and an antihistamione injection she was fine.

So if she is a little lethargic and tender i woul dnot be too worried.

My vets told me on both ocasions (12wk & 16wk vaccs) that some pups have a reaction to the injections. If that happens they had to give him something extra.... Cant remember what tho, something like antihistamine probably.

Kaiser was a bit quiet after the injections but i dont think he was uncomfortable in any way.

Glad to hear your pup is feeling better!

Keg got an itchy red tummy rash that we're pretty sure was from the vacc. Most likely due to a reduced immune system post-injection, so we beefed it back up with aloe vera juice, and aloe jel on his tummy.

Good excuse to put his picture up with his little singlet on :D I'm sure this helped too, sort of like a light pressure bandage, and it stopped him licking off the jel.

post-3752-1180408821_thumb.jpg

Keg got an itchy red tummy rash that we're pretty sure was from the vacc. Most likely due to a reduced immune system post-injection, so we beefed it back up with aloe vera juice, and aloe jel on his tummy.

Good excuse to put his picture up with his little singlet on :eek: I'm sure this helped too, sort of like a light pressure bandage, and it stopped him licking off the jel.

He was so cute!!! :laugh:

Guest Piximatosis

My GSDx had a tummy upset for a few days after her 2nd shot. Although, just for the record, it wasn't anywhere near the tummy upset she would have had if she'd contracted parvo, so it won't stop me vaccinating again in the future despite the side effects :laugh:

Edited by Piximatosis

Mine have never had reactions apart from a bit of lethargy and being off food a little, but the next day they have always been fine.

Mind you, I only ever have C3 or Parvax done - the C5 has the worst reaction rate. Agree with a few minor side effects being better than parvo!

Kyzer had his 12 week vaccination last week, and was quite tender on his back, he kept bumping it and crying :laugh:

he was also quite trembly, but he was back to his normal self within 3 days.