Growth Plate Damage

Im after some info on Growth Plate damage.

All i come up with on my search is human cases.

Does anyone have stories or pictures on such issue?

No nothing is wrong with Sway, im just curious.

Thanks K

Many years ago I had a 10 mth old sighthound pup whose growth plate was damaged in a tumble - it lifted on one side and the vet thought the leg would end up a different length to the other. Poor thing had his leg in a heavy bandage that acted like a splint and he had to be kept very quiet for ages - over a month from memory.

He ended up with no discernible difference, won his title easily and even won the club pointscore one year, so he did ok :laugh:

SwaY - do you want general info about the growth plate itself or only damage to it? I've just searched the online journal papers through Uni and everything that came up was very, very specific and not particularly helpful :laugh: I can help you with the growth plate itself....maybe could have a look at the vet books at my work for you re damage :eek:

Dr Billinghurst's book "Grow your pups with Bones" has some chapters on it, if you don't have the book I can bring it for you on Saturday :laugh:

Your such a good girl, yes please :eek:

SwaY - do you want general info about the growth plate itself or only damage to it? I've just searched the online journal papers through Uni and everything that came up was very, very specific and not particularly helpful :laugh: I can help you with the growth plate itself....maybe could have a look at the vet books at my work for you re damage :eek:

Im not really sure what i want to know, i just want to know. :rofl:

I understand about the growth plate, it's job and how it all works.

I just wanted to know the effects of damage, pictures of it, and understanding how it happens.

Hope that makes sence :rofl:

Sway you might need to get more "medical" in your terminology... try googling "slipped epiphysis dog"... you might find more info that way.

Thank you

slipped epiphysis dog, gets me nothing

slipped epiphysis gets me a fair bit, off to do some reading.

Thankyou again

What a beautiful dog :thumbsup: .

I went to a dog show about a year ago to see standard poodles, and ended up sitting near and chatting with a dane breeder/ showie. Had never seen much of the breed, but one of her dogs liked me and a got some lovely dane cuddles :thumbsup:. Very gentle.

My tri colour girl who passed on last year damaged a growth plate as a pup. Her right fore leg was broken at the knee when she was around 3 or 4 months of age (it's 16 years ago now so I can't remember exactly without going and pulling out the paper work). Her leg did heal after a prolonged recovery in a cast and confinement but the damaged leg was always thinner, twisted and shorter than the other. The paws on the other three legs spread and flattened due to the uneven weight. She was always mechanically lame and ended up with arthritis in the elbow of the affected leg in later life. She was going to be my obedience dog but she was too unsound to compete, she was a really lovely dog though. Her temperament was outstanding and she happily trained all the way up to open level even though she couldn't compete.

Does that help at all?

A friend's Cavalier pup fell from a table and damaged the growth plate in his front leg. He had surgery to repair damage and was strictly crated for some time. He healed beautifully and is now very active - you wouldn't know anything had happened to him. He is 7 months old now.

Sable developed a limp the day we brought him home from the shelter. Due to poor diet his growth plates in his hind knees weren't fusing correctly. Because we found it early enough alot of correction could be done... ie better diet, Cartrophen injections, low impact exercises.

He is a lot happier now and uses his knee more freely but he still has a chance that too much damage had already occured and he will develop Arthristis.

He still only sometimes sits like a normal dog, about 50% of the time he sits on the outside of his thigh, I don't know if this is out of habit or pain.