How Do You Clean The Dried Muck Under Their Eyes?

Sorry for the icky question, but I'd like to know how to clean that dried muck that accumulates under my dog's eyes. I have a Maltese, and have read somewhere that you can use a toothbrush to clean under their eyes. It has been working well when I bath my dog (I just use the toothbrush with water, not shampoo or anything), but at the moment it's too cold and rainy to bath her, and I'm not sure how to clean up her eyes without a bath. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Edited by Sally

A cotton pad (like you use to take eye makeup off) and warm water do the job. Let the gunk soak for a few seconds and wipe it off.

Or just pick it off with your finger nails. My dogs are very relaxed about eye booga's being removed that way.

yup what poodle fan said.

just be careful if the gunk is really dried to the skin picking at it may hurt and it could be red and a bit swollen underneath.

warm water and a cotton ball is the safest way to go. :rofl:

i was interested in reading this coz I thought that there may be a professional way other than picking it off but appears there isn't :rofl: that's what I do

Also, Sally when I had Daisy RIP my little maltese I used to keep the hair under her eyes really short, she got used to standing very very still whilst I cut it with blunt scissors

there is, use flea comb or those finer space comb that women use it on the eyebrows. When it get stuck around those areas, u will want to comb it off before applying eye solution which contain some aloe juices. It moisturises the eye area and keep it dry for further staining.

Done daily it won't build up to a dried on lump unless your dog has eye problems causing them to water a lot??

The alternative to the above is to get another dog who will clean the eyes :confused:

or like some of my dogs, just wipe the eyes on the sofa :rollseyes:

The alternative to the above is to get another dog who will clean the eyes ;)

:) My Rotti and swf do that to my Saint, they gobble up her drool strings too....... When she comes back from a walk they are both clamouring to get to the drool first :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help everyone. Sorry I haven't been able to get on here to reply until now. It sounds like a daily wipe with some wet cotton wool may be the go, to prevent a build up. Such common sense, but I didn't think of it myself.

Dru, you have just put me off my breakfast big time :).

Pick it off and feed it to them. Mine won't let me get away with throwing it in the bin. They MUG me for it.

Dogs are gross sometimes! :)

It's not just dogs who are gross, so are some people. TMI. :cooldance::cheer::clap:

Wow, you're easily grossed out!! Thats a benign part of my life!! :happydance:

I'm one of those annoying mums who spits on a tissue and wipes their ked' faces as soon as they see any gunk.

Or if I don't have tissues handy, I just spit on my finger and use that :)

The show malt I had, I would pluck the hair away.

With my grooming business I scissor the hair off, especially in the corner and under the eye. If you don't infection can set in.

Most of the stain removers in shops are destilled (sp?) water, which will do nothing.

That's cute Kaz. I do that with my (human) kids when I put them in the car and realise their faces are dirty but don't have time to clean the properly.

I just found this info re. avoiding tear stains

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dog-Grooming-35...ar-staining.htm

Not sure if it actually prevents the gunk though.

had a thought...

The minerals they would recieve in our tap water is essential for their diet. Anybody who gives their dog just distilled water is going to make more problems than just tear staining.

Edited by shmoo