How To Train A Dog To Catch Food?

Of all my fur babies I have one that is 'difficult'! :rofl:

Very difficult to train - or to put it a different way - she is challenging to try to work out ways that will get through to her! :D

What I am currently working on is that I would like her to be able to catch food treats, like the rest of my dogs, but I just can't get to first base with her.

I have held food within a few inches of her nose and dropped it, she lets is fall on the floor and then gets it!

I have repeatedly let drop small amounts of bait - again she waits for them to hit the floor! :eek:

Can someone tell me some methods to get her to catch??? Pleeeeease???? :D

To get her to catch you need to make sure she cant get the ones she misses

You will need to be quick and grab the bits that reach the ground before she gets them so she learns the only way she gets it is if she catches it

Darcy had a "let it drop and check it out first" policy for food treats as well. Unusual for a lab x :rofl:

So I used some really high value treats and fed her a few pieces so she knew what it was. Then if she dropped them or let them fall after that, I put my foot on them so she couldn't get them. You drop 'em you miss out :D After that it just clicked.

Now she'll "catch" anything, tennis balls, treats etc. :D

LOL We bounced treats off Leila's head for a good 2 months before she got it.

We'd put our foot on the treat if she missed it and always tried it be close to her when doing it.

What if you have a dog like mine that seems to have no eye-mouth co-ordination? To memory he's never caught anything in his life. I never let him get food that drops, but that just means I end up with a dog bored because he's not getting anything.

Hey Saltwood, try (if you have something safe and not too high to sit the dog on) raising the dog off the ground. If the dog is small you can sit him/her on a box. Not high so they might hurt themselves when they get off but just high enough so that if they drop the treat, they have to get off to get it. It gives you time to get the treat before the little bu%$$rs can snaffle it LOL.

Whatever they are on, they have to feel secure though. Hence not too high. You never know, it might work for you!

do it with the other dogs there who can catch. Do it with the dog's dinner kibble instead of using a bowl. When the other dog's are catching dinner and this dog is missing out, he'll catch on soon enough. You might need to be strong enough to let them miss most of a meal though, thene they'll be better next time.

:rofl: My Roggie is an expert food catcher, no food is tossed up in the air without him going for a leap that would make even the most agile frisbee doggy weep :D

My Bella, on the other hand, still has yet to catch on. She just stares at you while the food bounces off her nose or head :D it's a source of great amusement in our household :eek:

Ok don't want to be the downer but have you considered your dogs eyesight.....

I had a flat coated retriever and she could never catch and I tried all these training methods.

It was only one day when she was about 2 that she was running free in a park and ran headfirst into a post did I work out she had poor vision.

At home she always seemed fine, but she knew the place. The vet confirmed it.

Maybe next time you are at your vet just ask for a eye check up just to rule it out.

And I am sure if people can be uncoordinated and not catch, so can dogs!!!

:rofl:

Totally enjoyed all your responses.

Tried the no treat unless you catch it method and it is beginning to work - the mouth is coming open and their is an attempt, however misjudged, to try to catch the treat which is a big step forward to totally ignoring the issue.

I haven't worked out if this dog is just 'blonde' or is incredibly smart as she is always the 'problem' dog! :D

Will attempt the box idea but don't know if she will 'get' that - will let you know! :rofl:

Edited by SALTWOOD

I have a dog with pretty bad eye to mouth coordination, and found he finds it easier to catch if I throw the food (gently) up in the air above his head. By the time it falls within reach, he's worked out when to open his mouth!

I recently taught Oscar to catch food by passing it to his mouth at first, in a throwing motion (underarm). Inch by inch I then started to drop it into his mouth, then a short gentle throw. I used soft moist food at first, so he wanted to almost inhale it down.

He now can catch food from almost anywhere. Prior to this he just let it bounce off his head.

Do it when they are real hungry!

Try using pieces of ham or something similar, as they are large and "floppy" so the dog has more chance of catching it, does that make sense? Even if he just grabs a little corner, he'll be able to slurp the rest up! Have also heard of people using crackers, like those Sakata crackers for example, as they sort of "float" through the air a bit and are easier for the dog to catch. :worship: Just a suggestion.

i was trying to teach Rogue 'catch' last night - i thought she would get it really quick she does with everything else - but no!! had food bouncing off her left right and centre! she got bored so we did some other training.

i didnt have much else (food wise) to try with her so will have another go at the w/e.

Mav can catch food from almost anywhere - its really useful when you are teaching stays etc and im gonna start 'box' clicker training her to be more confident on her own...hopefully she might use her brain instead of eating the house and digging holes!!

"I have held food within a few inches of her nose and dropped it, she lets is fall on the floor and then gets it!"

There's your answer Saltwood...........why should she catch it when she is going to get it anyway !!

Try tease throwing (moving extremely quickly in your actions) a few times, so that the fast movement heightens her enthusiasm .......following closly with a slower "upwards" throw towards her with the food.......and if she misses it whatever you do don't let her pick it up from the floor.

Play this game no more than half a dozen times ,leaving her on a high but missing out on the reward, don't wait until she starts losing interest in the game............and within a few days she SHOULD(?) start trying to catch it.

This is what I did for one of mine and I found it worked.

Edited by Tapferhund