Two Questions

♥Bruno♥

First one - Bruno keeps on picking things up on our walks, and sometimes eating them! I try to steer him away from stuff I see, but sometimes it's in his mouth before I even knew there was anything on the ground! I am so sick of pulling yukky stuff out of his mouth on walks. No amount of reprimanding seems to work. Is there a trick to make him not want to eat everything he sees on the ground, or is it just a fact of puppy life?

Second one - What sort of brush should I be using? He is a Ridgeback, so has quite short hair, but just can't seem to find a brush that actually gets all the loose hair out. Anyone help?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Two questions, how dare you :mad

I think it is just puppy exploring different things out on his walks. What tastes good, what doesn't, thats a good smell over there, wonder if I can chew on that etc. Just continue to keep an eye on what he is actually putting in his mouth :rolleyes: Dont want a trip to the vets. It is something they grow out of.

Also, for Ridgebacks, I would go for a zoom groom. This has rubber stems (if thats the word) that remove the dead hair, while stimulating the skin and I know my cats and staffy x think it feels pretty good.

There is also a Furminator that some other may suggest, but personally I think a Ridgebacks hair is too short for this to be really effective.

I think it is just puppy exploring different things out on his walks. What tastes good, what doesn't, thats a good smell over there, wonder if I can chew on that etc. Just continue to keep an eye on what he is actually putting in his mouth :mad Dont want a trip to the vets. It is something they grow out of.

Ain't that the truth :mad Everything, everything goes in the gob....10 minutes in the garden looking rather innocent - turns out the lad vacuumed half of it up and threw up a great black mess about 30 minutes later. Luckily OH slipped a pile of newspaper between Zig and the cream carpet. At the beach a few weeks ago, Ziggy literally inhaled a plastic bag - OH was on the ball again and whipped him to the vet quick smart - a nice emetic and up came the bag. Wagged his silly tail the whole time too :rolleyes: I just hope he grows out of it!

I'd use a zoom groom too. I have one for my Burmese cats, they have a very short, close lying satiny coat and the zoom groom removes the dead hairs by the handful. It would be fabulous on a short haired dog....make grooming very easy!

I'd use a zoom groom too. I have one for my Burmese cats, they have a very short, close lying satiny coat and the zoom groom removes the dead hairs by the handful. It would be fabulous on a short haired dog....make grooming very easy!

Off topic I know...but I am owned by 2 lilac Burmese girls (mother and daughter) - brilliant, brilliant breed!!!! :rolleyes: :mad:mad

:) All my dogs eat stuff too, even the 13 year old. If it's not toxic I just let them get on with it but I am able to take anything out of all their mouths with no probs. I also use one of those rubber spikey things on my viz who has very short hair and it gets all the loose hairs out very well. Sorry, can't really help with the eating stuff. I have taught all mine leave!! but this only works BEFORE they are able to get things in their mouths. I'm usually far too slow!!!!!! :confused:

Hey Bruno!!

I can sympathise with the sea-food diet (see it = eat it). Jonty can have some brilliant walks, but the next time he's hoovering the ground eating everything in sight like I starve him or something. Prior items have included cans, plastic bottles, leaves, cigarette butts, bottle tops, duck poo ( :) ) - if it's a solid item, I usually ask him to "give" and try and swap the item for a treat. He just thinks it's a great game :love:

He has a penchant for attacking flowers and one by one has knocked out all of these tall flowering plants growing in our park (I'm no gardener so I don't know what they are)... eventually there was only one left which is now used as a "Leave it" training tool!!!!

Pretty much I spend my walks with him looking ahead to see if I can spot what he's going to go for next so I can instruct him to leave it... he is getting better (or maybe I'm just delusional).

As for grooming, we have one of those grey rubber spikey things... I do it on an as needed basis. He has to be in a calm frame of mind, else he tries to eat that too :confused:

Hermes loves cat crap we're constantly fishing it out of his mouth :) worst thing is it's always in our yard but not even from our cats because our cats are purely indoor cats. Pisses me off that people don't keep their cats on their own property :D

We've taught him "leave it" which works nearly perfectly when we're out on walks (he loves to put everything in his mouth and just carry it around) but he can't resist cat crap in our yard :(

-Elise

I use a slicker brush on my sisters Ridgeback cross. I find it does a good job getting rid of excess hair.

If you go for one, just make sure it's labelled "SOFT". I'd assume everything else to be "FIRM" i.e. too harsh for your dog. Don't bother with the supermarket ones- they'll scratch too much (been there :thumbsup: ).

post-6819-1181860528_thumb.jpg

Well in regards to question 1, our Bob is forever hoovering things up in his gob when we go outside or for walks, we've also taught him 'Leave it' which we usually need to say pretty fiercly for him to drop whatever is in his mouth (doh). I really don't think he will grow out of it though. He 8 months old now.

i taught buster the "leave it command" he's pretty reliable with it but... when he smells soemthing dead he ignores my yells and screams and running madly at him waving my arms and proceeds to roll in it, over and over and over again...

Try having Labradors, they eat everything : :)

Including all sorts of crap - bird crap, duck crap, rabbit crap and kangaroo droppings ;)

that's right they're a "You drop it I'll eat it" dog

But like busterlove we use the 'leave it' command. Works a treat with the older dogs but the pups just look at you :thumbsup: and think " are you for real"

Arg this is so frustrating when I'm walking Jelly!!! How she hasn't gotten an intestinal foreign body yet I don't know!!!!

It makes walk time so painful because I have to constantly watch her to see if she's picking something up off the ground-mostly big gumnuts-so much so that I fear I'm going to trip over something because I'm not looking where I'm going!

Arg this is so frustrating when I'm walking Jelly!!! How she hasn't gotten an intestinal foreign body yet I don't know!!!!

It makes walk time so painful because I have to constantly watch her to see if she's picking something up off the ground-mostly big gumnuts-so much so that I fear I'm going to trip over something because I'm not looking where I'm going!

She sounds just like her sister. Avril is forever sniffing around, snaffling everything in her mouth and trying to eat it too!!! I havent actually taken her out on a walk as yet, as she just got her 16 week old vaccinations last weekend, and we were told to wait a week....but I can just imagine it when we do!!! argghh...lol.