Soggy Poo For A Month Now

I changed the dry food diet of my two dogs a month ago, and they've gone through one bag now and one of my dogs have constantly (since the new diet) doing very soggy but not liquidy, almost like diarhea but not really, just real soggy at least 3-4 times a day, almost after every meal and bikky which is the only other thing I feed them. My other dog is fine, normal poo and have even stopped throwing up white froth since being on this new dry food, so she seems to be tolerating this new diet well. I'm wondering what could be the cause of soggy poo, he seems normal otherwise, not looking sick or anything. I'm ruling out that it has to do with the new diet coz he does soggy poo after anything he eats, and this has been going on for about a month. Any ideas?

Have you been to the vet for a check-up?

It could very well be the diet. Maybe he is allergic or intolerant to something in the new food? It can take up to 6 weeks to see the effects of a new food, at the same time, it can take a while to get over the effects of a new food...

What are you feeding him now?

I don't know why you would be ruling out that is not the new diet particularly as you are saying it happened after the new diet was introduced whether he is now eating the biscuits or something else, if his stomach is upset he may not be able to tolerate any foods at the moment.

As it has been a month i would recommend a vet visit ASAP

I have two golden retrievers, one has no problems with any sort of biscuits, the other gets diarroreah from various different sorts so all dogs are different. But i don't have any problems with her with the super premium brands so that is what I stick to for both of them.

what sort of biscuits are they?

I've just been giving them the Maintenance biscuits by Eukanuba, only one a day. Yes I shouldn't rule out that it has to do with the new diet, I've got them on Nutrience, previously on Nutro but my other dog kept throwing up white froth but is tolerating Nutrience well.

The dog in question have always needed to poo at least twice a day, while my other only once a day. They're only small dogs, Pomeranians, and the one with the stool problem is 7 years old and my other 11. They're both considered senior dogs and have been on Senior diets for over 3 years now. I'm suspecting that the fibre content in Nutrience may be higher so with his past record of frequent passing of stools, this may be to do with his tolerance over the fibre, causing him to pass more and loose.

I haven't taken him to see the Vet yet, but I'm thinking whether to put them back on a diet that they've been on before which from memory had no major problems. Just that, I'm trying to avoid the ones that uses meat by-products, and there's just not a great choice here in Brissie. Hey, thanks for the tips and advice though, really had me re-think about the food they're on.

Eagle Pack Holistic does not use by-products, and they have a fish version which is good for older dogs -

As for the Euk biscuits, I woudn't give those, better to give them higher quality treats - maybe they're causing the porblems... even one, with small dogs, could be the problem

Before you change diets again, I would go to the vet, though, especially as they are older, if only for your peace of mind...

gingerpuff, if I were you I'd stop the bikkies for the dog for a while (or permanently) and just keep on dry. If it doesn't clear up maybe you can seek a vet's opinion? It could well be this particular dog doesn't tolerate the food while the other one does. Sometimes it depends on the individual dog's stomach so you might need different foods for both dogs.

... even stopped throwing up white froth since being on this new dry food .......

The white froth can be a sign of heart problems, which can cause a fluid buildup in the lungs. They will cough up white, frothy secretions. You later also mentioned both dogs were 'seniors' :rofl:. "white froth" is a classic sign, but obviously no one can tell over the internet, that's one for your vet :o .

It could affect what diet's best for your dog, too. Some heart problems can be very well managed with medications, but depends on severity. While you're there, you could ask about the stools ;) .

If any food's left over/ unsuitable local rescues would be grateful for a donation (see rescue topic).

Best wishes :laugh: .

and I'm sorry i don't quite understand what diet you are feeding your dogs. Are the maintenance biscuits like the large shape bone ones? Anyway can you advise what you are exactly feeding the dogs.

sorry about the confusion.

Right now they're on Nutrience (been through a 3kg bag) so probably not really a month but 3 weeks or so. They use to be on Nutro but I had to swtich to Nutrience as there was shortage of stock for a couple of months back in April.

Snack wise, i'm giving them Eukanuba's Healthy Choice Maintenance for Seniors. They're fairly large, long and rectagular shaped.

My other dog who was vomiting white froth has no problem with the new or former diet as I mentioned, her stools are normal, and the vomitting has stopped since she's been on Nutrience, so I really have no idea if it's diet related in her case.

In any case, both dogs were fine when on Nutro, so I might just switch them back for good. I know it's not good to swtich diets and hopefully I won't have to after this episode.

Like I said, both dogs seem fine, normal appetite, no signs of distress or legarthic symptoms.

not good to switch back and forth like this, it's stressful to the dogs no matter what brands, especially seniors as there could be underlying reasons. Why don't you check with a vet before any further changes? I'm more worried about the 11yr old.

Thank you all for your valuable advice and suggestions. I will take them both to the vet asap.

Just want to clarify though, that my older dog hasn't coughed up white froth for a month now - that is ever since she's been on the new diet so I presume she's more tolerant to this than the former diet. With my younger dog, the one doing soggy poo since being on the new diet, is still at it. However, the bikkies I've only started giving to them for a week, and the soggy poo situation started way before that.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences that could shed some light to the prob, however, it seems that there's no escaping a vet visit this time round. Thanks all!

A vet visit is the only way you'll be able to find out if it's a bacterial problem. There can be parasites, coccidia and giardia which cause soggy poo. The poops can improve a bit and then revert back to soggy. You'll only go on a merry-go-round ride if you keep changing the food without eliminating other causes first.

now I understand what the diet is :)

but I'm glad you are taking the dogs to the vet for a checkup, that would be my first port of call just to make sure there is no underlying reason.

Yep, if this was happening to any of my dogs, and it has, I wouldn't leave it a month, I'd be at the vet after a couple of days of loose stools. To add that these are senior dogs, I probably wouldn't have waited that long either. :laugh:

Nutrience is a good food generally speaking. Nutro and Eagle Pack are, however, better quality IMO. :p Most dogs do well on Nutro or EP b/c both brands have formulations to suit many different dogs with many different needs. It could be that you have one dog on one food and the other dog on a different food. There's nothing wrong with that. My three are all on raw but are fed differing things from each other to take their needs into account. :D

I hope you discover that it's nothing serious. But as dogs age their needs change and some change more than others. :D

Where are you in Brisbane Gingerpuff. I have recently changed my dogs over to mostly raw food from Big Dog Pet Foods - Lawnton.

http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/index.htm

I have had them on Eukanuba for a long time, then tried Nutro and Nutrience - all combined with some home prepared and a little raw.

It has only been two weeks, but they really seem to be thriving on the more natural diet. I was sick of paying out huge dollars so thought I would try this. I still add a very small amount of dry food (maybe half a cup a day) just because I have some left and it is sometimes good to just be able to give dry in an emergancy or travelling. Nice firm poos because the dogs are digesting almost all their food. Certainly would not hurt your guys to have a break from the dry.

But as the others have said, a vet trip to rule out other problems would be a good idea. Also are they up to date with worming.

It could very well be the diet. Maybe he is allergic or intolerant to something in the new food? It can take up to 6 weeks to see the effects of a new food, at the same time, it can take a while to get over the effects of a new food...

Yes, my Gracie reacts violently to the artificial smoked pork flavouring that is used in a surprising number of products, from various Schmako treats, pigs ears, all sorts of things, also she's not too good on things with beef in them. So I agree, stop giving the biscuits that might have by-products or flavourings in them.

Dogs can also be allergic to natural ingredients too, or even the fibre/roughage balance might be wrong for the dog too, perhaps a bit harsh on her innards.