What Is The Average Weight For An 8 Month Old Lab?

Kylie and the black Lab

Hi all,

Just wondering what the average weight of an 8 month old female lab is?

Jedda is very broad across the chest and rear legs and her head is getting broader too. Her back is past my knee in height but she isn't overly tall.

Some days she looks a bit porky but other days very slick.

We are quite strict with her diet and she is walked for 1.5 hrs daily and played with for at least another 1-2 hours.

She is 23kg's at present.

Cheers, Kylie & Jedda

Hi all,

Just wondering what the average weight of an 8 month old female lab is?

Jedda is very broad across the chest and rear legs and her head is getting broader too. Her back is past my knee in height but she isn't overly tall.

Some days she looks a bit porky but other days very slick.

We are quite strict with her diet and she is walked for 1.5 hrs daily and played with for at least another 1-2 hours.

She is 23kg's at present.

Cheers, Kylie & Jedda

Sorry I can't help :mad But I would also like to ask the DOLers how much excercice should a young dog (6-8 mo) of a large breed (like lab or goldie) get?

I was told not to walk them for too long because it's bad for their joints :rofl:

I was told that with large breed dogs, you shouldn't walk them until they are 12 months? Just let them play (i.e., go to offlead park or in back yard and let them play as they will, but no 'formal' exercise).

Is this right?

I was told that with large breed dogs, you shouldn't walk them until they are 12 months? Just let them play (i.e., go to offlead park or in back yard and let them play as they will, but no 'formal' exercise).

Is this right?

To me that makes no sense - as the offlead stuff Jedda does is much more vigourous than the fat ass walk she does with me every day.......

Having a VERY energetic lab - would drive her and us totally nuts if she wasn't walked....she waits for it every morning and night...

Puppy school and jnr school actually recommended us walking her because she is so energetic and full of life. She has learned to walk on lead well, no pulling and sits at every corner before crossing the road.

Going for walks is the highlight of her day!

I walk my large breeds very short spells for training/socializing /co ordination otherwise its free range exercise at there own pace.

Walking whether fast or slow is still pounding which is the issue on there growing joints.

"Puppy school and jnr school actually recommended us walking " did they also mention too much exercise is also bad for hips/growing joints??This is a crucial stage of her life where damage for life can be done with over doing the exercise & walking.

What did your breeder say about exercising??

I walk my large breeds very short spells for training/socializing /co ordination otherwise its free range exercise at there own pace.

Walking whether fast or slow is still pounding which is the issue on there growing joints.

"Puppy school and jnr school actually recommended us walking " did they also mention too much exercise is also bad for hips/growing joints??This is a crucial stage of her life where damage for life can be done with over doing the exercise & walking.

What did your breeder say about exercising??

Breeder didn't really say anything about walking.

I still don't really get it as when she runs around the yard - constantly and with vigour - isn't that "pounding" on her joints. Her controlled walks seem to take that "edge" off the psycho energy which I would think is where she could injure herself.

I am always very careful with her.

When they run the yard she will do so in spurts then lay down,they do it at there own pace & rest,walking is different.

Everyone has different beliefs but i dont walk my large breeds for that long as puppies not prepared for the risks.

Walking is constant & after a while you often see babies starting to pace in movement .

Breeder didn't really say anything about walking.

They didnt give you a puppy folder about exercise,feeding & diet for a lrage breed puppy??

Hi Kylie and the black lab

I havent had labs- but my goldens breeder told me 6 years ago "up to 12 months we grow bone, then we grow muscle". This is frustrating for a loony retriever owner, but worth listening to. I now have a super-fit and sound golden.

I also have a nearly 2 yo flatcoat who was even more energetic. Some tips- and I'm not an expert at all- swimming is good and your lab should be OK even in this weather. Just make sure the entry and exit points are safe. The 40 mins morning walk could be replaced with obedience or tricks training- it really wears my dogs out. It would be good to have a 5-10 mins walk to a park for socializing or sniffing, then back again.

I understand your confusion about 40 mins walk compared to crazy behaviour in the backyard. I thought about this a lot, and decided that the silly puppy running around uses lots of different joints and muscles, whereas walking uses the same ones over and over again.

It sounds like you are spending a lot of time with your lovely loony young lab and are a great dog owner. I think it would be worth backing off on the physical excersise (I know !! this is hard) and try to tire the dog in other ways.

Good luck, and ask your breeder or vet about the weight- I have no idea!

To me that makes no sense - as the offlead stuff Jedda does is much more vigourous than the fat ass walk she does with me every day.......

Jumping around is not the same as the continuous pounding that a dog does during a walk. It's much harder on joints.

Every dog is a different size and make up of muscle/fat/bone. Even within the same breed at the same age. I would tend to think that 23kg is just right for a labrador of that age but I can't say for sure without seeing her. I have 9 month old who is 26kg who is just right for his height.

You need to learn to assess your dog with your eyes and your hands to see if she is the right weight. Get your vet or someone else experienced to show you how to do this.

Don't worry so much about weight as profile and feel. If you can feel the ribs and see a waistline, you're pretty much ok. 23 kg sounds like a mid-range weight for an 8 mo lab bitch, presuming she has a fair amount of bone.

As for the exercise thing . . . I sold a lovely Lab pup to a family with instructions to constrain activity until about a year . . . gentle walks only . . . blah, blah, blah. What did they do? Of course, took him out horse back riding, on a regular basis, starting at around six months. I was horrified and shocked. Sent him in to be rayed at 1 year. Guess what. 2:1 hips and 0:0 elbows. As good as any of my dogs. I asked our vet, who has a history working with Guide Dogs. He said, straight ahead exercise generally doesn't do harm and may do good. Twisting and bumping and jumping are what you need to avoid

I'm very careful when exercising my lad - he's 7 months and a mad Dally but he only gets two 20 minute free runs at the beach per week. On the other days we might go for a 10 minute walk to the shopping strip with LOTS of training - standing quietly :rofl: walking on a loose lead :rofl: and greeting everyone with 4 paws on the ground :) Seriously though, even spending time sitting outdoors at a cafe is good mental stimulation for him. Plus at home we do lots of 'hide and seek' games with his toys and more incidental training. It really is important that exercise is controlled because the growth plates in the front legs don't 'seal' until 18 months of age. I've seen the most awful malformed legs in overexercised large dogs and it just sets them up for problems with arthritis down the track.

Having a one year old lab girl myself, I know of the worry of them being overweight. Recently an obedience trainer told my OH that she was looking pudgy. I took her to the vet, they weighed her, checked her ribs etc and told me she was just perfect for her height. They also gave me a sheet which explained what underweight, healthy, obese looks like from the airial view, side on etc. Very helpful. Maybe see the vet to put your mind at ease.

hi folks - i would rather keep adolescent dogs a little on the lean side rather than anything else.

I also wouldnt really consider a lab a large breed (??) as in the you 'should exercise til 12 months' size - from what i understand retrievers are generally a bit bigger?

yep i would recommend speaking to someone that can show/indicate to you what you are looking for in your dogs weight - i have 2 very different dogs 1 i cant keep weight on and always looks a little underweight and the other piles it on at the drop of a hat!

Having a one year old lab girl myself, I know of the worry of them being overweight. Recently an obedience trainer told my OH that she was looking pudgy. I took her to the vet, they weighed her, checked her ribs etc and told me she was just perfect for her height. They also gave me a sheet which explained what underweight, healthy, obese looks like from the airial view, side on etc. Very helpful. Maybe see the vet to put your mind at ease.

Hi Paw Paw,

What are your thoughts on exercise. Did you walk your lab prior to 12 months old??

Thanks for the weight advice. i will give her a feel over tonight too.

Don't worry so much about weight as profile and feel. If you can feel the ribs and see a waistline, you're pretty much ok. 23 kg sounds like a mid-range weight for an 8 mo lab bitch, presuming she has a fair amount of bone.

As for the exercise thing . . . I sold a lovely Lab pup to a family with instructions to constrain activity until about a year . . . gentle walks only . . . blah, blah, blah. What did they do? Of course, took him out horse back riding, on a regular basis, starting at around six months. I was horrified and shocked. Sent him in to be rayed at 1 year. Guess what. 2:1 hips and 0:0 elbows. As good as any of my dogs. I asked our vet, who has a history working with Guide Dogs. He said, straight ahead exercise generally doesn't do harm and may do good. Twisting and bumping and jumping are what you need to avoid

Hi Sandgrubber,

We can definitely see a waistline - she has quite a beautiful profile from the side. I think she is just a big stocky box head lab like her daddy.

As for the exercise, thanks for putting my mind at rest a bit. Like I said previously - the walks are nowhere near strenuous, she actually comes home from them and runs like a loonie - from my point the walk is more a mental stimulus for her and some training.

We have been very careful to avoid stairs, wrestling and jumping, so I'd still like to think we are doing the right thing by our beautiful girl.

Cheers, kylie

we have a fairly large dog of unknown heritage :wave: we dont walk her as much as our 3 yr old staffy x, and we try to limit her play time too as she tries to jump like a small pup and we are concerned about her joints later on. SHe does run free at the beach 1x or 2x weekly and half n hour walk every day. This is in addition to her free play with the staff x in the yard. fetching her toys, obedience training each day (5 - 10 mins only) Is this ok? SHe is about 25 kg and 6 months now

I was also told not to walk too much by many breeders for a standard poodle- they're larger than a lab. Breeders thought was that dog should be able rest whenever it wants and this doesn't happen on lead. No running and down stairs, no jumping on-off lounges and in-out of 4WDs, no overfeeding etc.

Hip and knee problems have many factors involved- exercise, injury, diet, hereditary. I'm not sure if they're any studies to support the "not too much walking" theory, but it's common advice.

Hi Paw Paw,

What are your thoughts on exercise. Did you walk your lab prior to 12 months old??

Thanks for the weight advice. i will give her a feel over tonight too.

Hi Kylie and the black lab,

Here is what exercise we do with our lab. (This is not necessarily correct but what suits our family best). We started this at approximately 9 months old. 4-5 times per week she goes to the dog park for 1-1/2 hours. It is not constant play as she is more than happy to go off by herself to chew grass and make it look like she never gets fed :confused: Once a week my OH takes her for a half hour walk through the local streets and on the weekend we go for a walk through the Botanical Gardens. Stop to get a coffee by the river and then walk back to the car. This breaks the longer weekend walk up by resting for approx. 15 minutes.

Hope this helps. Each dog is so different, but if we didn't do this amount of exercise with her we would have one very destructive dog.