Ceapest Way To Raw Feed

Hey everyone...i hve decided to finally pull my finger out and start raw feeding. I know there are heaps of topics on how to raw feed etc but i want the most current info on prices etc, so that is why i thought i would start a new topic for this!!

What i want to know is the CHEAPEST way to go about this lol. What are the most economic ways to buy meat (and what type of meat), where do i get it from (butchers, BiLo etc??). Blah blah blah

Any tips you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.

Rachelle!! :wave:

Some people recommend going to the whole sale places and buying chicken/turkey wings, necks, guts, frames by the box and freezing portions of it.

I dont feed raw just on its own, but i give my two chicken wings and frames from the IGA near my work. Wings are $3.99 per kilo and the frames are $2.49 per kilo. Its really good quality too. Some of the stuff at Coles are small, boney and just yuck but charge an extra dollar or two.

ETA: I also feed them human-grade hamburger mince from the same IGA. I think it was $3.99 or so per kilo and is HEAPS better quality than the stuff they sell at the Coles near my house. I work 8.30 - 5 and dont get home till 6ish so i cant get to a butcher in time. They're open on saturday but all the good dog stuff is gone by the time i get there :wave:

Edited by RiverStar

I find making chicken the usual RMB the cheapest.

I have found Lenards to be the freshest AND cheapest source of wings and drumsticks. I know they have frames and mince from time to time.

I tend to use veggies that are on special in the veggie mix and try to find mince (always human grade) on special too.

My housemate's boyfriend sometimes shoots bunnies for the dogs.. there's no way I'd feed farmed bunny - too expensive.

I have a good butcher. I get a shopping bag full of chicken frames & wing tips/scraps, for $1 a bag..........He does me chicken mince for $1 /kg.........He tells me when he has done me 5kg & I get it fresh off him & freeze it in smaller bags. I can also get bags of beef bones off him & he cuts then to the sizes I like, again usually about $1 a shopping bag.

I buy human grade beef mince whenever it is on special, BiLo often have it for $3.99 /kg here. Necks at BiLo are $2.40/kg.I can get them cheaper in the nearer town but add my petrol & why bother driving to get them really!

I get my free range eggs usually from the local markets on once a month for $2.50 a carton

I grow my own herbs, and many neighbours /family give me veg from their gardens, especially if they are not as fresh, as they are good for the dogs........I also buy greens from the local fruit & veg shop that are on special, large bag of broccoli for $1 etc.... as they need to be used today/tomorrow....blended up & freeze in ice cube trays etc.........

Supplements like Salmon oil, Vit E, Ester C etc I get online from discount stores like this one........ http://www.vitaminking.com.au/

I make my own yoghurt, but often buy it when it is 40cents a tub at bilo about to expire in a day, same as cottage cheese too.

I find the large cans of Mackeral (425gr) "Seawall" brand at the supermarket is the most economical, as the home brand Sardines are half empty when you open them......Mackeral cans are jam packed in there, and are only about $2 a can......

I find Offal is the most expensive part of feeding raw, which is crazy, as they used to give it away, mind you they used to give away frames & necks in the old days too!

I guess there might be an influx of people switching to raw this week, as I just watched Oprah show just now & it was entirely about all things dog, and touched on the dog food recall, and interviewed a Vet advocating raw as the best form of feeding, followed by cooked home prepared, with processed dry food ranking (7th)which was last on the list..........

Edited by Cavandra

I'm feeding my dog cooked mince with veggies, rice and pasta, plus chicken necks for a day time snack. Is there something wrong with cooking her mince?

you are taking all the nutrients out by cooking :wave:

Cooking the meat will usually make it more palatable and kill bacteria but it also destroys enzymes in it.

Dogs don't digest cereals well. The pasta and rice are just fillers. If you were to use any, I'd go for the rice. Gluten is a common dog allergen.

Edited by poodlefan

I get 10kg bags of chicken frames for $7 and 2kgs bags of chicken mince for $2 a bag from "Lenard's" the chicken frames have heaps of meat still on them to. I get whatever raw veggies are on special at "Safeways" and lamb off cuts from there to, the offal is a bit pricey at "Safeways" if I can get it in the butchers its cheaper but they don't always have it available.

oh dear, I know it sounds superficial, but if I feed my snowy white Maltese raw red meat, she'll look like one of those polar bears that's just been munching on a seal, all bloody faced. I guess I'll see if I can find some chicken mince at Leonards.

oh dear, I know it sounds superficial, but if I feed my snowy white Maltese raw red meat, she'll look like one of those polar bears that's just been munching on a seal, all bloody faced. I guess I'll see if I can find some chicken mince at Leonards.

Nothing a warm soapy face washer won't fix Sally. Lily my white toy poodle enjoys her big red smile. :wave: That's only from chewing bones though - any mince never touches the outside of her mouth.

Edited by poodlefan

o.k I'll give the raw meat a go. It will save me time anyway. Do I cook the veggies?

No, juice and feed the pulp or blend them. If you haven't fed raw before, I suggest you do a bit more reading before making the switch. It takes a bit of effort to get a balanced raw diet.

o.k I'll give the raw meat a go. It will save me time anyway. Do I cook the veggies?

No, juice and feed the pulp or blend them. If you haven't fed raw before, I suggest you do a bit more reading before making the switch. It takes a bit of effort to get a balanced raw diet.

agreed.

potatoes need to be cooked, raw is not good for them.

I second chicken frames. I pay $7 for a 10 kg box. (I buy around 200 kg/week . . . some for my dogs, some for others, some for the boarders). For smaller dogs I just hit frames with a heavy duty well sharpened Chinese meat clever (using end grain wood for a cutting board). Takes about 10 minutes to chop up a 10 kg box and is better therapy than a punching bag. For alternate meats, check around for pet meat suppliers. I have one who sells a general ferral animal mince (mostly roo) for about $1.50/kg and HUGE sheep necks for $0.70.

I also buy horse carrots. A 20 kg bag costs $5.50 and lasts me a couple weeks. I add whatever else is cheap for veggies/fruit. Often you can get blemished apples, cracked cabbage, etc. cheap at the markets.

Edited by sandgrubber

we get all our vegies free from the local fruit and vegie shop :laugh:

go ask your local ones, they have to throw stuff out if its bruised or dropped on the floor. IMO thats still OK for the dogs!!

Oh wow everyone, thanks so much for all the posts, it is helping me a heap. i had no idea that lenards would be so economical to buy chicken!!

will be getting started within the month, as soon as this bag of food is gone.

Yes, to Lenards frames...not only inexpensive by the box but better quality than the supermarket ones imo. But I don't use their pet mince because of the bone content, I want the dogs to have suitable bones in their natural form.

Love heart as a excellent muscle meat and am quite happy to pay $4/kilo for grass fed beef heart. My butcher orders in a case knowing I'll take it 2-3 hearts at a time. I cut slices to freeze with the frames, might pop a lamb kidney in too as the organ contribution. The chook kidneys are still in place but tiny!

Always looking for variety and was excited about 1/2 pig's heads @ 50c. Old girl with worn teeth was able to get at the brain, and there's a lot of easy pickings around the back, also cartilage.

My dogss eat about 1kg of food a day each, maybe a bit more than that.

I get

10kg of chicken frames from a chinese butcher for $3 or $4 if I go to another butcher

I pay $2.00/kg for chicken necks

$2.00/kg lamb flaps

$1.00/kg lamb/beef spine bones

$2.00/kg pork bones

$3.50/kg turkey necks

$3.50/kg human grade individualy frozen sardines - they come in a 15kg box

I buy beef off cuts for a $1.00/kg - no bone and mince it myslef

$1.20/kg for a chicken frame mince

liver - pork or lamb about $2.00/kg

vegies - the same what I eat, eggs free range - the same what I eat. yoghurt greek style from Aldi - the same what I eat.

Vitamines, additives etc, all from online shops.

Frankfurts from Aldi - for training.

Id say it costs me about $40 a week for two dobes, that includes vitamines and treats.

Occasionally I buy a scottys roll - pro peak for $6.50 each it goes in one go between two dogs.

Edited by myszka