Help With Whelping...

Hi there,

Have a small situation here... We have an 8 year old gold Labrador male who was not desexed due to being registered or something (mum knows more than I do about it!) and a 12-14 month old bitch who is of uncertain breeding - she looks like a black Labrador with a slender build. She's actually a Rhodesian Ridgeback cross. Anyway, she's kept away from our male, and even with all hands on deck with the dogs we still found them 'stuck' some 2 months ago.

Anyway, the expert, Mum... has gone into hospital unexpectedly today (for the millionth time!) and we've got one very very pregnant bitch with milk coming from her nipples in our laundry. And I don't really know what to do... Mum had it all planned, and as far as I know she was just going to have her in the laundry to whelp. I've situated some hessian bags on the floor under an old sheet between the washing mashine and the wall - probably about a 1.5 meter square area.

Do I need to sit up with her? I've read that the pups need to be put on some form of heat pad thing whilst she finnishes whelping - should I get that ready for her? How long does it usually take after the milk appears?

Yes you need to sit up with her & you need to stay with her 24 hours every day as she may require assistance. The pups need to be kept very warm, a hession bag is no good on a cold floor. If she is straining & not delivering a pup it could be stuck, and you need to get her to a Vet straight away, ideally she should not go more than 2 hours between pups.

The bitch is very young to be having a litter, so fingers crossed she will rear them ok. If not you will need a Vet to show you how to feed them every 2 hours & make them eliminate etc........

An experienced breeder might be more help than a vet. I'd try posting something on the breeder's forum (you can post things there and read other people's posts, but cannot reply to threads) asking for urgent help and give your location. Note, some breeders are very down on breedings of non-pedigree dogs, so you may get some guff, but there are also some very helpful and knowledgable people.

If I were you I'd be aiming for a heated location, and trying to set up a whelping box of some sort. Puppies are very succeptible to cold in their first three or four days.

:rofl: The laundry is likely to be way way too cold, as others have said. Cold stress can kill an otherwise healthy pup.

Pups need to be kept warm and dry, together with their Mum and littermates. Keep pups with the Mum as much as possible to allow feeding.

You'll be needing a strong stomach, lots of old towels, newspaper and frequent clean ups. Lots of fluids will be involved. First litter? Not all Mums are "naturals", even experienced breeders who call the vet at the right time can lose pups and/or the mothers. Fingers crossed.

Why not have the dogs desexed after this? Makes life so much simpler, especially if your Mum's unwell.

Edited by Poodle wrangler