Are You A Dog Sports Whore?

I will probably be a future DSW :mad

With my new pup I plan to get titles in Backpacking, Weightpull, Sledding, Endurance, Conformation showing and would love to dabble in Agility... but alas having a strong willed malamute I doubt I will get far in Agility :p

Ah... what about the extremes you go to get to training? I.e distance travelled? Or is that really starting to reveal addictions? :rolleyes:

I will have to travel over 12hrs to get to weightpull and backpacking competitions. Vic and Qld are the closest states that competitions are held and I plan to attend at least one a month of each during the colder seasons. We have our first show on the 29th and thus the addictions begins! :mad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They dumped you? A trainer? Why? Sorry I know nothing - just that you mentioned that you were with one trainer and the next you were going to another also - maybe I should come in Obedience training dog sports more often?

Aahhh So you're gonna do Endurance with Jarrah next year?

But don't knock us people who choose to do one sport, then change to give our dogs a bit of variety - not all dogs have as good focus at learning as a border collie etc... Some of us own Boxers :p They lose interest if something is boring - hence being no OT Boxers around... not even many CD or CCD ones :D

-WithEverythingIAm

The reason that they gave us was that they were too busy. Anyway as I said I have ended up with another trainer that I am happy training with, so I guess it was good in a way that I was forced to look around for someone else.

As for endurance, I doubt I will ever do it :mad , Eddie was the one who was going to do it, but he hasnt got prepared for this year, so Im guessing he will be thinking about doing it with Ebony again next year :mad .

As for knocking DSW's, you obviously missed the bit I put in one of my posts earlier in the thread, it said

there's nothing wrong with doing lots of different things with your dog, if it makes you (& more importantly the dog) happy then it's only up to you what you do :rolleyes:

:)

As for endurance, I doubt I will ever do it :worship: , Eddie was the one who was going to do it, but he hasnt got prepared for this year, so Im guessing he will be thinking about doing it with Ebony again next year :D

:):worship::worship:

BLOODY SLACKO!

MrsD - Kick him outta bed at 5am, lock him outside with Ebony, and the dog lead. :worship:

-WithEverythingIAm

As for endurance, I doubt I will ever do it :eek: , Eddie was the one who was going to do it, but he hasnt got prepared for this year, so Im guessing he will be thinking about doing it with Ebony again next year :o

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BLOODY SLACKO!

MrsD - Kick him outta bed at 5am, lock him outside with Ebony, and the dog lead. ;)

-WithEverythingIAm

Ha - he'd probably just go & curl up in the kennel with her :laugh: ;) .

Mrs D a few of us are going to Coolangatta for the Mary Ray week in October. Will I see you there?

Loretta is on the Dogs NSW committee for Canine Freestyle (DWD) and is really getting into it. She used to have her own dance school so that gives her a big advantage. She is our Chief Instructor for Canine Freestyle and is very patient and very cluey. Reckons if she can teach five-year-olds with two left feet how to dance then it will be a piece of cake teaching our dogs (didn't say anything about my two left feet :o ).

BTW here's a bit of a giggle - if you want to find us at Agility etc. then just look for the bright pink tent. Just couldn't resist it! :laugh:

Noels.

Mrs D a few of us are going to Coolangatta for the Mary Ray week in October. Will I see you there?

Loretta is on the Dogs NSW committee for Canine Freestyle (DWD) and is really getting into it. She used to have her own dance school so that gives her a big advantage. She is our Chief Instructor for Canine Freestyle and is very patient and very cluey. Reckons if she can teach five-year-olds with two left feet how to dance then it will be a piece of cake teaching our dogs (didn't say anything about my two left feet ;) ).

BTW here's a bit of a giggle - if you want to find us at Agility etc. then just look for the bright pink tent. Just couldn't resist it! :eek:

Noels.

Yep, I'll be there for Mary Ray, only Wed & Friday though, for the day each time. Hopefully I will be able to stay for the competition on Friday night, sounds like it should be heaps of fun. Last year she only did 1 day of freestyle, so 2 days this year is going to be great :laugh: . Are you going to be camping in your bright pink tent at Tailwaggers? :D

Which one is Loretta? Can't pick her, you'll have to tell me what dog she had at Richards seminar :rofl: . I remember Penny & Joan & the lady who organised it (names slipped my mind now), Im envious that you already have a subcommittee to run it, so far we only have a few small groups dotted about the place & nothing very concrete in the way of organisation, but they did have their first competition/demonstration at the recent National & State Obedience titles & there is even a mention of it in the President's message in this months DogWorld, so that's encouraging :o .

Im not sure whether my feet are both left or not, but when I dance for some reason I turn into Goofy - have you seen the size of his feet? No wonder I trip over them all the time ;) :rofl: .

Look forward to catching up again at Mary Ray :rofl: .

If I had the time I would be a DSW!!! Unfortunately I have all these grandiose plans, but no time to implement them! My dog was going to have his CCD title by the time he was 12 months old. He's 14 months old and has never seen the inside of a ring yet :laugh: I want to do schutzhund with him, but to do that I have to do tracking, obedience, agility, plus drive work, so I suppose schutzhund by itself is going to be hard enough! I have taken a dog to sydney for a weekend seminar (From Vic) and have travelled a couple of hours to get to trainers, so I am dedicated, just short on time. Probably a good thing for the dog! :o

I have been thinking this thread through - I guess putting both dog and human on a plane and flying to Perth from Adelaide for a 3 weeks to get a bit of training is bordering on insane :laugh: and contemplating the idea a second time even more so.