Are You A Dog Sports Whore?

Can't say that I am - I love agility/jumping and thats always my first priority, but I also did obedience with Darcy til she was old enough to compete in agility. I'll probably enter her in novice obedience a bit later on in the year as she's doing ok with it.

Toying with the idea of doing what MrsD is doing, at the moment I only have Darcy, so would let her continue with agility/jumping and get a pup to start with on obedience. But we'll see :)

Don't have a lot of interest in doing anything else at this stage. :scared: Wouldn't have minded doing herding earlier on but I find it rather ironic that I have to travel to Melbourne to do that.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The big question on my mind is.

Does the number of sports make you a tart

Or the number of days you do it

Or the different trainers you use?

If it's number of days, Im a gonner :rofl::scared: ;) .

I dont change trainers willy nilly in general, ummm actually for obedience I dont have a trainer :) Im my own trainer ;) .

Freestyle, I like 2 different trainers (Mary Ray & Richard Curtis) & have been to seminars with each & loved them both, but given that it's such a new sport & both are from the UK, I went to them because I may not have had another chance! It's only that a few of interested people have now got together in Brisbane that Im even still doing freestyle, it's very hard to keep momentum when there is no-one to train with ;) .

Shoey - I would too if I could afford the house prices where I train ;)

How bout getting up at 6.20 am on a Sunday morning to drive 45 mins to training.... does that count??? :)

Used to drive an 1 hour 20 mins but found a closer club.... have considered travelling the two hours to Melbourne to go to a highly recommended club but I dunno if I have the stamina for that every week :scared:

interesting topic

i think its great to have a look at various sports but it can be hard to be good at all of them and the poor dog trying to learn a thousand different thigns at once

Personally i love obedience and retrieving and will have a go at field trials one day but that compliments what we already do we do some agility for donfidence building but nothing serious and thats it

shoey you forgot to add your thinking of tryign trackng you tart

Well I am an Obedience person having trained and trialed for about 25 years now but I have done Herding , Agility and flyball with some of my dogs. The herding I would have liked to continue with but distance and finances didn't permit. Agility I gave away as IMO it is a bit risky for injuries in the dogs, Flyball I enjoyed for a while but I got bored with the sport.

The only other sport I really enjoyed was Dogsport once known as Schutzhund and if I could would get back in to that sport in a flash as it is so much more interesting and a hellava lot fairer than ANKC obedience.

interesting topic

i think its great to have a look at various sports but it can be hard to be good at all of them and the poor dog trying to learn a thousand different thigns at once

I agree

shoey you forgot to add your thinking of tryign trackng you tart

And ET

I still live closer thou :scared:

Guest Clover

I used to be involved in Obedience, Herding and Flyball, now it is just Flyball and i am even over that at the moment.

Ah... what about the extremes you go to get to training? I.e distance travelled? Or is that really starting to reveal addictions? :)

We drove to Sydney from Brisbane to attend the 2 day Richard Curtis seminar, is that far enough? Also used to get up at 5.30am to drive an hour to herding on Sundays, how's that for dedication? :scared: ;)

I think Tassie probably gets the award for most dedicated - last year she drove from Tassie to the Gold Coast to attend the Mary Ray clinic for a week :rofl: . And CTD came from Melb. But that was for a whole week, so not as bad as just a weekend ;) .

Edited by MrsD

Not sure if I'm a dogsport whore :scared: but I like to try a lot of things with my dogs ;) Currently we do competitively agility, obedience, retrieving and occasionally conformation. I have done some tracking in the past and when Rogan is retired from retrieving will probably try again. Dabbled in flyball. Played at lure coursing. Hope to try Utility field trials ;)

I'll try a sport if it interests me, we're eligible for and is available. If the dog/s and myself like it we kep going!

Have to say that many of the newer sports don't interest me at all. You'll never see my 'doggy dancing' or doing freestyle! Too much performance from the human needed there :)

Mmm looks like i am a dog sport whore.

I give everything a go at least once except doggy dancing, not for me. Though i concentrate on one dog in one sport at a time to not confuse myself. I wouldnt be doing anything if none of them liked doing it but they really enjoy all these different things.

Nova has trialled in flyball, agility and obedience. Would like to give tracking and ET a go. He used to be a full on show dog as well on top of everything. Now that the flyball Nationals are out of the way i will be concentrating on obedience and agility more.

Darcy has been trialled in flyball and agility. He will be trialled in obedience by the end of the year as well. Like Nova tracking and ET is on my mind too as well as retrieving. He is also a show dog but hasnt been shown much really.

My extremes are driving to Queensland (from Victoria) for flyball Nationals recently and that was only for the weekend :scared: Usually am getting up at 5-5.30am for flyball competitions, most of the time having to drive at least 2 hours each way.

I'm trying a few different sports, but not all of them! :scared:

With Diesel I am pretty much just doing obedience, though he does get a go at weaving when I practice at home for fun. Wouldn't mind getting into tracking with him, we have done a very small amount of tracking and he seems to like it, just don't have the space to do it properly.

Kaos is doing agility and herding. At the moment agility is just at home, not at a club, until I can get him more reliable around large groups of crazy dogs. I have only just started herding, and am finding it fascinating! There is so much to learn! And Kaos certainly enjoys it ;) .

Zoe only really does tricks and some agility at home as she is dog aggressive. But we have fun with different tricks. I thought about trying a freestyle routine with her for fun to show off to friends, but really had no idea how to go about it :)

You havent lived until you've done doggy dancing/freestyle, I think it's the ant's pants :laugh::) :D :D .

Kavik, chose a piece of music first, try to pick something that she can work to ie if she's quick (like Jarrah) chose something with a fast BPM (beats per minute), if she's slow pick something more sedate & then sit down & analyse the music (where is it slow, where is it fast, how many beats per bar/line, where does it change pace etc) & start to write down all her moves & start fitting them into the music. It's not too hard once you get the idea, just remember that you don't have to do a full song unless your dog (& you!) is very good & you feel comfortable with it, start with 30 seconds or a minute & work from there. :)

LOL - hmmm... I guess i'm a dog sport whore :)

I do obedience and agility mainly with a bit of showing and herding. I don't feel that I am affecting the dogs in any way by doing these sports nor do they get confused - they don't make 'showing' mistakes in obedience and likewise....

My main interests lies in Obedience and Agility - like Jules - the herding is just for fun - I only go to it when I can. I get bored with 1 sport, so like to have lots of different things to teach and personally I think Obedience/ Agility compliment each other nicely.

I'd like to do freestyle one day - but I don't have the time atm.....

so yep - self confessed dog sport whore/ tart (personally i'm a lover of the 'tart' word too!).

As for how far i'll travel no more than 1hr or slightly more away from home :laugh:

Well, i certainly was a dog sport whore. With my last Rotty we did obedience, agility, tracking, schutzhund, flyball, freestyle, lure coursing, tricks......i think thats all. I lived at home and had heaps of spare time.

With my current dog, i only do sheepdog work. I started obedience with him but it started to mess up his sheep work so i stopped. I am not sure if you can have a really good sheepdog and do other sports.

Anyway, with my new pup i only plan to do one sport as well.

Well I am an Obedience person having trained and trialed for about 25 years now but I have done Herding , Agility and flyball with some of my dogs. The herding I would have liked to continue with but distance and finances didn't permit. Agility I gave away as IMO it is a bit risky for injuries in the dogs, Flyball I enjoyed for a while but I got bored with the sport.

The only other sport I really enjoyed was Dogsport once known as Schutzhund and if I could would get back in to that sport in a flash as it is so much more interesting and a hellava lot fairer than ANKC obedience.

I'd love to dabble in Schutzhund, but I don't think my chosen breed is an accepted one. I can see the unfairness in ANKC obedience and would love to learn more about alternatives.

BTW, even though I've dabbled in tracking, agility, lure coursing, and obedience....I'd probably do more if I had the finances to. So wouldn't really qualify as a tart....just a wannabe :laugh: