Puppy Hernia

luckymum

Is it an umbilical hernia or an inguinal hernia? :o - By umbilical i mean where the belly button would be. And by inguinal I mean inbetween the back legs.

Edited Because I can't spell -

Edited by Joshua Grant

Hi,

Its an ingroinal hernia. Our vet found it at her first check up but didnt really explain what would need to be done. He just said to keep an eye on it and if it gets any bigger to bring her back asap.

Ok, if its an inguinal hernia it can be detrimental to your dog! What may of happened in this case is that a part of the bowel has slipped through the inguinal ring and caused a lump to appear - this lump is most visible when the dog is in a standing position.

If left too long the inguinal ring can widen and the intestine etc. can fall in this would be extremely bad news for your puppy.

I advise you to get your vet to fix it when she is desexed - that way you only have to pay for the operation not the anaesthetic aswell. :o

If you turn your puppy over the hernia will disappear back into the body if it gets to the stage where it doesnt go back in aka. it becomes incarcerated, an emergency opperation will need to happen.

Thanks for that info. Ill keep an eye on it.

I had thought about getting it fixed at the same time as having her de-sexed to save money and to save her having two op's but not sure we should wait that long.

Congratulations, what a gorgeous puppy!!

It's difficult to say without seeing it, but as your vet said, keep an eye on it. If it is not causing and problems, when she is desexed is probably a suitable time to have it repaired.

Also be aware that pups can sometimes have fatty deposits in this area, which are easy to misdiagnose as inguinal hernias. They disappear as the pup grows.

Edited by Jed

We noticed over the weekend that her hernia got much bigger so we booked her in to have the op yesterday, poor little thing.

The vet said that it really needed to be repaired so Im glad its done now. He also stitched her eyelids, clipped her nails and microchippedher. I almost passed out when they showed me the $877 bill :happydance2:

She is a champ though and is doing great.

We noticed over the weekend that her hernia got much bigger so we booked her in to have the op yesterday, poor little thing.

The vet said that it really needed to be repaired so Im glad its done now. He also stitched her eyelids, clipped her nails and microchippedher. I almost passed out when they showed me the $877 bill :D

She is a champ though and is doing great.

And you bought her from a breeder ? :laugh:

I'm sorry, but that's disgraceful!!! Sending a pup home with a hernia requiring surgery and eyes that require tacking. Which state are you in as some have mandatory microchipping laws!

eta: oops, almost forgot to tell you how GORGEOUS she is! :) Love the pic's in your sig!

Edited by Luv my White Shepherd

I totally agree, we are not happy at all.

The breeder gave us no notice that she had a hernia. She had already had her upper eyelids tacked but our vet wanted to do her lower eyelids too so thats why she had to have them done. The breeder did warn us that she could have problems with her eyes so we already knew about that.

He did also tell us that she was chipped and our vet searched twice and couldnt find a chip so thats another thing we are not happy about. My husband will ring the breeder and have words with him Im sure.

We love her to bits but we payed $1200 for her then to fork out more for surgery is just not on, I feel ripped off.

What a lovely-looking dog. I'm glad she's fine.

I've seen a baby boy require emergency surgery for an inguinal hernia after becoming ill quite suddenly.

Aren't inguinal hernias quite rare in females?

That seems like hefty vet bill, did they itemise it? Costs can vary widely. You've done the right thing in taking her to the vet when in doubt :) .

Can you please PM me the breeders name, I think I know who he is

Bottom and top eyelids should both be tacked

That is very expensive operation though

The chip could of come out due to rough play with her siblings

Call the breeder and talk, if it is whom I think it is you will get no where, sorry

I'm sorry, I really don't have anything helpful to add, I just wanted to say what a beautiful puppy she is! And I am sorry she has been unwell, it is very stressful when there is something up with a puppy.

100_1175.jpg

Update:

We contacted the breeder who was really concerned that she had to have surgery. He didnt know anything about her hernia which I dont believe for a second.

Re the microchipping, well she was never chipped to begin with hence the vet not being able to find it. He reminded my husband that he had told him she wasnt chipped even though the ad said she was. Apparently most people go and choose a puppy then he has them chipped before they come and collect the puppy. As we chose her and took her home on the same day she wasnt chipped.

We still havent received any papers for her as he said he has been slack with getting them organised, hopefully we receive them next week. I just find the whole thing dodgy, he is meant to be a registered breeder yet I can not find his name anywhere. I guess its our fault for not looking into it properly.

Regardless of all this we adore Lola and are so happy to have her in our family.

I am sorry to hear that you have been so messed around.

If the papers are not with you in the next week or two - send me a pm and I will Personally talk to the breeder! I might have a little more "pull" than the average Jo.

Wishing you all the best,

Josh Grant

P.S the breeder should have contributed money for the micro chipping and Hernia operation - again if you need help don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,

Josh