Increasing My Dog's Appetite

Hello Everyone,

Im new to the forum!

I just have a quick question about my two yr old male Border Collie.

We adopted him from the Lost Dog's Home about 14 months ago, and he seems to have settled in fine. However, he never eats his dinner (consisting of fresh chicken or red meat, Pedigree nibbles, chub and whatever house scraps). Ive tried buying him lamb shanks, marrow bones and even rump steak!! He just isnt interested, and just eats what seems to be the basic minimum.

When we got him from the Dog's Home, he needed antibiotics for a bug he had, he had kennel cough and fleas. We have treated the fleas and everything is OK with his health at the moment.

He is an only dog at the moment, we are wanting to get a lab in about 6 months or so.

Any suggestions?

Liz.

iF HE IS VERY UNDERWEIGHT THERE IS A MEDICATION which is available for dogs who refuse to eat - it also doubles as a preventative for car sickness! You simply give them a tablet 30 mins before a meal and voila; they eat alot better!

I will dig out the name of it for you this evening. - I think it starts with p?

p.s it may be a good idea to get a vet to run over him as there may be a newly aquired health problem underlying :)

Cheers, And all the best for you and your boy,

Josh Grant

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.

I have already taken him to the vet, and he said you should be able to feel his last rib.

You can feel the last rib on the dog, however, I think I want a second opinion, as he looks very skinny.

Is that just the normal build of a Border Collie?

I have a border who won't eat if he thinks there is something more interesting to do.

Border collies should be lean dogs, you can't work all day if you are fat. A lot of them look at lot bigger because of their thick coats and a lot are too fat.

It would be easier to tell his condition if you posted a picture.

It's a bit harder to judge weight on a Border Collie with that lovely fur :) .

What makes you say he looks very skinny?

Can you see his all his ribs when he's wet? See backbones sticking out? (both suggest he's too lean).

Does he have a "waist"- narrowing before hips? (good, normal).

Healthy dogs will not starve themselves and if the vet says he's a good weight, I'd be inclined to believe him/ her. It's better for your dog's health to be lean. He's active? Regularly wormed (e.g. every 6 weeks or so)?

A healthy dog who doesn't want to eat steak? Suggests a possible underlying illness or he's already full :eek: !

But, if you're not happy with what the vet's said, get a 2nd opinion. Someone may be able to suggest a good vet in your area?

Can you post a pic?

Edited by Poodle wrangler

When my BC was younger, he used to just pick at his food instead of eat it all, and also if there was something better to do, he did not go near his food. I put it down to him not being that hungry.

I reduced his meals, and now only feed him once a day, and he eats the entire meal regardless of what is going on.

All dogs should be nice and lean, and if the vet has said he is a good weight I would go with that. Just reduce meal sizes and feed once a day and see if it is all eaten. If he is eating it all you can then increase it a little bit eat day and see what size meal is satisfying him.

If you do this and he still wont eat much, then there could be some problem and I would get a second opinion if you are not happy with what your original vet has advised.

Did the vet check him for Tonsillitis? Could be your problem & not something Vets routinely check for either!

Periactin tablets from the Chemist, over the counter medication an antihistimine whose side effect is to cause hunger, come in very handy, and very safe to use............But you would want to know teh dog isnt sick first............sounds like he might need his immune system boosted after his illnesses, apple cider vinegar & Kelp will help with that.

It doesn't seem to take much food to get a border collie porky, which would suggest to me that they don't need a hell of a lot of food to stay in good condition. Sooo how much are you actually feeding your dog? Does he have a glossy coat and lots of energy? Perhaps he is eating what he needs to and isn't a guts! I would maybe look at improving the quality of the food, i.e. a better quality dry food like Eagle Pack. Nature's Gift tinned food is also good for putting weight on.

Thanks for the replies!!

Would Kelp really help? Ive never heard of that! Is it just the vitamins you buy at a chemist?

I feed my dog Nature's Gift already, and some fresh meat.

Where would I buy Eagle Pack nibbles?

He has lots of energy, so maybe I'm just getting worried over nothing.

Im going to book him in for a couple of needles he needs, just routine ones, Ill get the vet to check him over and see what he suggests.

Thanks.