Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (hge) *please Read*

Hi there,

I’m writing this in order to bring to the attention of all dog lovers that there is a disease called Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE).

I’ve read so many posts where people’s puppies have died or have been sick and the symptoms were bloody faeces and coughing or vomiting blood.

You may ask why I should care well my little Chi died on the weekend within 8 hours of showing the first symptoms due to the aggressive nature of the disease. 3 hours prior she was happy, playful and showing no signs at all.

I have posted some links below. Please read them and understand and spread the information to your friends. I saw the effects of this disease and lost my best friend and companion. It is a cruel and horrid way for a small dog to go. I have spoken to several small dog breeders all of who knew nothing about this devastating condition.

Don’t make the mistake of misdiagnosing the symptoms.

I hope this is of help top people and only wish I knew about this beforehand.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/hge.html

https://www.vetconnect.com.au/5min/data/06260627.htm

http://www.logcabinvet.com/mb/cmb-81.post

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/HGEindogs.htm

Regards

Dean

its a very nasty disease, and can strike adult dogs, some will have the already mentioned symptoms and there have been deaths where the poor dog simply bled out internally in their sleep, with very little or no obvious symptoms.

in adult, its often associated with elevated clostridium spores, where a compromised immune system may be involved.

if the parvo test is negative, its difficult to tell if a pup has HGE or Corona virus - but iether way as the OP said - vet immediatley, as pups have such a short time before dehydration and shock set in.

fifi

Edited by fifi

My youngest boy survived a bad bout of HGE.

My research at the time said that is was primarly a disease of young adult dogs (2 - 4 years), some breeds (including miniature poodles like Darce) were prone to it and that a dog that had had it once was at a higher risk of getting it again.

The trigger for the disease can be bacterial, viral or toxin.

Darcy became sick in the early hours of the morning. He was lethagic and had the runs.. he was roach backed from the stomach pain. He was at the vet when it opened and was very badly dehydrated (this alone is a killer). He was in fact far more dehydrated than even the vet suspected, with a PCV that was dangerously high. This was 4 hours after first symptoms. He spent 3 days on a drip before he started making a recovery. Thankfully he is now 4 and hasn't had a recurrence.

Scarey stuff. I'm sorry for your loss Dean B - I'd imagine the disease hits the tiny dogs the hardest. :laugh:

ETA: Darcy is an inside dog. If he hadn't been sleeping on my bed, I doubt I'd have noticed his constant trips outside to the loo. He looked in great pain in the morning but I was looking closely at him. I honestly doubt that some outside dogs would have their symptoms noticed in time for veterinary treatment. If I hadnt' taken him to the vet at the first opportunity in the morning, I doubt he'd have survived the day. When in doubt folks don't delay.. get to a vet.

Edited by poodlefan

Caronavirus can also be tested for. In fact, this is the only way of diagnosing it conclusively as far as I am aware. Caronavirus does not usually involve vomitting and it is rarely fatal.

Dean, I am so sorry that you lost your little mate. It's a terrible thing to happen.

Thanks for thinking of other dogs, and posting this.

A friend's 5 year old BC bitch had an episode of this a few months ago. She was taken to the vet pretty soon after onset, but the vet on duty at the time did not pay enough attention to what my friend was describing and did not think it was very serious. Result was a dreadful night for dog and owner, and a very sick dog hospitalised on a drip and IV antibiotics for a couple of days.

So the take-home message from that is - if you don't think your vet is taking something like this seriously enough, push harder or go to another vet.

Caronavirus can also be tested for. In fact, this is the only way of diagnosing it conclusively as far as I am aware. Caronavirus does not usually involve vomitting and it is rarely fatal.

Hi Puggles, yes, coronavirus can be tested for, but most small or country vet clinics usually only carry a parvo test kit, and not all HGE cases involve vomiting. so it can be a case of symptomatic treatment until diagnosis.

So sad for your loss Dean :thumbsup:

fifi