Dew Claw Removal?

I had a foster that had his back dew claws removed and the recovery was surprisingly quick and problem free. The hardest thing is keeping the bandages on so that they don't become infected..

Hope Atlas has a speedy recovery too.

Hope he's fine :love: .

Sorry I don't know the nail story, but the only way to get the quick back is to trim a little off, often, as in every few days (yawn).

Using a dremel- Ozito, or any rotary tool- makes it easier. If you do hit the 'quick', by accident, I'm told it bleeds far less than with clippers. You can buy Styptic powder at the pet store (about $10) which will stop any bleeding. I've only ever hit it with clippers.

This link is the lady who dremels the nails of rescue dobes, so you CAN do it: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/dob...mel/dremel.html.

Hi PW - I have been using a dremel on Atlas for 2 years. I have yet to hurt him and make him bleed. He wont let me cut his nails (no do i have the confidence to do so!) so getting them done while he is under is the best thing to do

Thanks

Godzilla had it done when he was 5 as he was alway ripping one or the other out and they would be getting infected.

Vet said it was better to remove them.

I took him in the morning he came wearing these groovy red socks in the afternoon,

He loved the red socks as he thought they made him look taller :thumbsup: after 10 days I removed them and he was a good as gold.

He had not problems whatsoever and never wore a Elizabethan collar.

Biscuit the Yorkie has horrid back ones that start to catch on each other when he is walking so he may have to have them removed. soon as well.

post-1164-1185772643_thumb.jpg

Edited by LouiseBrooks

I am starting to shit myself, he goes in 8 am wednesday.

There is NO WAY Atlas will leave bandages alone, so a bucket is a must.

If i can, i will take it off when i am with him, just to give him a rest, but when i am not here, it will be on