The Puppy Uglies.

Gayle.

My previously gorgeous Aussie Shepherd pup has suddenly gone from being a cute bundle of bouncy fluff to a strange looking creature with long lanky legs, a head too big for his body, clumsy paws on the end of his legs and ears that don't seem to know where they should sit on his head. Sometimes they're on the top of his head, sometimes they're lower, sometimes they flop down, sometimes they stand upright......other times, one's up and one's down. He has a topknot of fluff between his ears that looks downright ridiculous, and his coat is half baby fluff and half shiny, silky dog hair.

All in all, he's an odd looking fellow right now. How long does this stage last? Do people actually show their pups during the ugly puppy stage? Not that I'm planning on showing, him, I'm just curious.

:rolleyes: I have a lab pup who has been ugly since he was 5 months old. Very leggy and awkward!! He is ten months old now. I expected it - it's normal for his bloodlines. He's beautiful to me :rofl: I wouldn't show him at the moment even if I could (he has developed elbow dysplasia). I wouldn't expect to be able to show him for another 6 months or so. The trick with show dogs is to be able to see their potential and be patient. Some people rehome their dogs at this stage and then kick themselves later ;)

Some dogs go through adolesence with their bodies "together" and some don't! Just like people ;)

Edited by blacklabrador

:rolleyes: Hi, yep - puppy uglies are have many stages !

with wolfhounds, you get the fuglies at 4-6 months, 11-15 months, and some in between !

just don't overdo the exercise, and keep your puppy trim and not fat. the coat will change a couple of times, and you will get 'bum high' and wither high moments too.

here's a few of Tamsyn at the fuglies, first three months, one year and then one of her as my beautiful adult in the next post.

fifi

post-2082-1184889373_thumb.jpg

post-2082-1184889448_thumb.jpg

Puppy uglies.....yes I know all about those :rolleyes: Depending on lines many larger breed puppies will 'go off' as they grow and unless you have a puppy that's a little shy and needs the constant exposure it's sometimes advisable not to continue showing them, pull them out for a while until they start to come good. Sometimes I've found that puppies that hold it together up to 12 months of age and do a lot of winning through the puppy classes don't make it as adults, this is more common in dogs than bitches but it does happen so the fuglies aren't always a bad thing. In my experience the fugly stage can sometimes continue up to 18 months of age, sometimes longer and of course there are a few that never come out of it, but generally most dogs at 4 are unrecognisable as the gangly, out of proportion teenagers they once were :rofl:

oh Gayle - I went through that!

Kinta's ears did NOT know what they wanted to do!!!! If memory serves me right Benson's ears were a very similar set to Kinta's.

Depends how serious a showie you are - some keep them at home, I'll go out and show coz it is GREAT social - strange people leaning over you, checking your teeth etc,etc.

Some lines go through the uglies worse than others..... Leo went ugly, but still stayed 'relatively' in proportion.

Kinta I can't *really* comment as I got her at the 'end' stages.

PM me if you want some 'ugly' shots :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Hi, yep - puppy uglies are have many stages !

with wolfhounds, you get the fuglies at 4-6 months, 11-15 months, and some in between !

just don't overdo the exercise, and keep your puppy trim and not fat. the coat will change a couple of times, and you will get 'bum high' and wither high moments too.

here's a few of Tamsyn at the fuglies, first three months, one year and then one of her as my beautiful adult in the next post.

fifi

oh she's not fugly she's beautiful haha i love the sad look...i want to cuddle her awww

Fifi, your wolfhound went some through amazing changes! And came out absolutely stunning. But I gotta say, that photo of her at 3 months is adorable.

Benson's breeder told me he'd go through an ugly stage and she commented that the uglier he got the more handsome he'd become. Well, he's pretty odd looking right now so I think he's gonna have movie-star good looks when he grows up.

We still think he's wonderful though, and he was never meant to be anything other than a well-loved family pet so when it all comes down to it, it doesn't really matter what he looks like.

This evening, he's walking funny too......courtesy of a day at the vets having a little procedure performed. He's not at all impressed right now!

Fifi,

Ill take your dogs anyday, fugly or not.. close to what the lady said about PC when we were at the show.. "what is THAT (doing here)"....

PC is bum high again and eating like a horse... three breeds in one dog.. cant wait until she settles out..

She might be ugly mutt, but she is my ugly mutt...

Fifi, how could you say that :D Large sighthounds certainly go through some radical changes during growth. I've been trying to find a particular photo of Bree but can't find the one I'm after :) I never noticed an "ugly" stage with her body but I did with her head :laugh: These photos aren't of the ugly head

8 weeks

DSCF0020.jpg

8 months

DSCF0128.jpg

17 months

PDVD_022.jpg

3 years

Colour.jpg

No more Deerhound or Wolfie pics please... im in "I cannot have another pup and I want one of those stages'.. :)

And your pics arnt helping.. especially since I have convinced OH that a wolfie was the perfect breed to join the doghouse.. Even dragged him along to shows to show him everything else..

:love: oh Hounder, Bree is stunning !

sighthounds and the larger breeds like leonbergers ect. are such a long time in maturing, with so many changes in body & coat.

Thats why many breeders sell a potential show puppy as just that ...... a POTENTIAL show dog.

Because there so many variables in growth, all you can go on is your very early assessment, knowing the lines, and good raising.

I don't really think mine are fugly ! they are precious in every stage ! but sometimes you look at a young dog and think....... :D :laugh::) !!!

fifi

Hey Raz, I think you've got competition with doghouse for a wolfie now !!!

Fifi the photo I was looking for but can't find is of Bree at about 4-5 months and just looks like Tamsyn at 3 months. Lockie, though always leggy, hasn't hit that gangly stage yet. His growth has been well balanced so far.