Blowing On Pups Face

Alpha

The little girl in our areahas got a a puppy. It 's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, a lovely boy. However I noticed that when ever he mouths her ( he is only 9 weeks old) she blows in his face O asked her why she does this and she said the owner ( breeder) told her to when he bit :) Now I have not heard of this as a way to stop/limit puppies mouthing and have never used this method ( a stern "no" has sufficed) but I do know that years ago there was a dog at obedience club that was very aggro towards people and it was found the boy who owned him was blowing in the dogs face ;) I don't want to lead this kid on the wrong path as they seem to want to go to puppy school and have asked me about obedience training. So if any one could let me know about this I'd appreciate it :(

If it's just a puppy then blowing in it's face is far less dangerous than an adult dog. HOWEVER I can't imagine any puppy ceasing mouthing etc. from just a blow in the face.

From what I've seen before, blowing in a dogs face is annoying & irritating, not something you eally want to do, not that fair to a puppy.

Giving the dog a short & sharp repremand would be far more effective.

For mouthing we tried a lot of things, Dante was so bad that he would run at you and lunge trying to bite the back of your legs.

I found water pistols worked well, by saying "Ah Ah / No" and then if they didn't stop they got sprayed, but you have to remember not to let the dog see the water pistol otherwise it associates with the water pistol not the Ah Ah / No.

Some people simply walk away from their dog and ignore it - unfortunately didn't work with Dante as he would just run after us.

Some people scruff the dog, I personaly don't like this, but that's just me.

Some people, curl the dogs lip over so it's over the dogs teeth, so effectively the dog bites itself - didn't work for us.

Some people give a veral repremand - depends how soft natured the dog is - didn't work for us.

So many different methods, it really depends on the dogs temperment/nature and what is more suitable.

If you did that to my smaller dog, he'd bite you. Absolutely hates this and reacts as if you are being extremely threatening. I found this out when playing with him one time. He wouldn't bite me, but he clearly was really upset by it.

Better ways to teach "no bite" IMO. I hold my pup's muzzle firmly while saying, "No bite" in a deeper, authoritative voice. I don't hurt my dog at all while doing this, just hold his muzzle closed gently, but firmly such that he cannot continue to bite. It's much easier to show you how, rather than type it.

He got the message quickly. Nothing good happens when he bites- I'm not amused, I don't play with him, hold his muzzle closed and look and sound unhappy. Then I'm happy when he sits and does something else like a good pup. A CKCS pup probably likes to please, too.

I think that's a very unfair way to treat a puppy. One of the most important things we owe our dogs is to treat them fairly.

I hope there will be no complaints about the dog when this child gets her face bitten.

That advice from the owner (breeder) would be close to the most stupid and dangerous advice I've ever heard.

I'm trying to figure out who owns the pup. The child or the owner(breeder)

:) I thought as much but I don't proclaim to know it all, glad to hear that it's not the norm or even that acceptable. I will put her on the right track this afternoon regarding it. I did think it'd be damn annoying too. The child was bought the pup by her parents for a birthday present, mum and dad know little about dogs but got an indoor dog. I can't get much info from this kid as when I asked if she got him from a breeder...she said yes, a lady with lots of puppies :( I asked if the dog had papers and she told me they put paper down in the laundry for the dog :rolleyes: , when I explained about papers, she said he has have them for his needles :bottom:

Just now when she dropped by with the dog, she told me he was "between 4 and 9 weeks old" I explained he could not be 4 weeks old ( too big IMO) and he's be too young to leave his mum. I have explained to her about the face blowing and she seems to get it, doesn't seem to be overly "bitey" anyway. I know what you mean, PW, I used that method too but this is a CKCS with a small muzzle and I wouldn't like this kid grabbing this dog too much ( she was a bit too heavy with the "hands on" with Lawson as a pup and I had to stop he a few times) I have told her she needs to tell him firmly,in a deep voice "No" not shout or yell. I even showed her with Lawson a few times( bought him inside already revved up ;) )

SO thanks again everyone

Yep, one fairly sure way to ensure you get bitten - right in the middle of the face, or on your pursed lips.

Looks like another know nothing would be byb flogging out a litter of pups and sending them off to the unwary with lots of wrong advice.

And when the pup does bite the kid's nose off, it will be the breeder who will be to blame, but the pup will be bumped off anyhow, for being savage, and that will be a black mark against cavs, and breeders. The only saving grace is that 99.99% of cavs would NEVER bite

Save us proper breeders from these idiots, will someone please.

"We put paper down in the laundry"

A classic, can I have it?? :laugh:

Not a method i would use.

With our dogs we have the small few that luv "blowing in the face" which starts the zoomies.

This dog may decide this method is a great game.

I never hold the muzzle because a pups mouth is very tender/teething & to me that causes unnecessary pain that they may react to more,in hand shyness/face shyness.

For us its just a simple,no fuss"No" here plus transferring the dogs attention to something else.The less fuss made & the quicker the focus is placed onto an acceptable activity the quicker it learns

I don't understand how somebody would think that is an intelligent thing to do.

I have seen plenty of people do it, and on all occasions the dog jumps up and/or tries to bite the persons face...

Not a very good habit to teach a puppy...

My dog is one of those rare ones that Show dog described- my OH will curl his hand up into a trumpet shape and toot out a few blasts and that triggers my dog to do little zoomies. She sticks her nose up into his hand (the one that's making all the air and noise), feel the air, then flip round and do a tight little circle zoom (because we're on the couch), then go back and repeat.

She also loves her belly farts (you know- the one where you do raspberries on their tummy?).

I would definitely never do this unless I knew she was ok with it and certainly wouldn't suggest it as a training technique. What was the breeder thinking????

PS- Lol about the papers remark. How adorable!

The kid's only 10 (actually 11) but I forget my kids have grown up around dogs and know what you mean when you say " papers", "breeder", etc. Feel free to use the paper in the laundry quip, Jed...I only repeated what she said.

Well, I have blown (very softly and briefly) in my dogs faces (beagles & shar pei) if they atttempt to lick my face. Never had one try to bite back, they just back off. Saw another beagle breeder do it and it worked. Have not done it for mouthing though. That is a more serious problem and needs firmer action.