Beef 'chuck' Bones.

They were next to the gigantic marrow bones (about the size of my forearm). It was labled 'Chuck' bones and had a fair bit of meat on it. Its cut into about 8cm thick slices.

What part of the cow is it??

I'm assuming its safe to give to my dogs right?

ETA: Also, how often do you give your dogs meaty bones?

I give the them one HUGE marrow bone each week, plus Chicken frames for brekkie. I wanted to increase meaty bones in their diet.

Their normal diet is Royal Canin (GSD pup & Adult Lab) plus bulk human grade mince (cheaper in bulk) sardines or tuna and a whole raw egg, shell and all. Plus a spoonful of natural yoghurt as well.

Edited by RiverStar

My butcher uses the spine of the animal for chuck bones,not just the bones from the neck. I don't use them anymore because big dogs can chew pieces off and they're very hard bones. I'm using lamb flap bones now and they're good because they are softer and more easily digested..plus they do the job of keeping the teeth clean.

I don't use them anymore because big dogs can chew pieces off and they're very hard bones. I'm using lamb flap bones now and they're good because they are softer and more easily digested..plus they do the job of keeping the teeth clean.

Righto. I'll keep an eye out for that then. I'll see how they like this pack though and decide.

reddog21: My older girl crunches through flaps easliy too. I hope these chuck bones do a better job keeping them clean...

Edited by RiverStar

Cool, thanks for the replies and advice everyone. I normally give them brisket bones but saw these chuck bones and thought i'd give 'em a go.

I'll supervise them with it just incase and see how they go.

Thanks all! :rofl:

Edited by RiverStar

I actually prefer brisket bones, they're a little softer, but still good teeth cleaners, chuck bones are very hard.

I like brisket bones the best too. I think chuck bones are ok to be given occasionally but certainly not frequently.

Kaiser's just lost all his puppy teeth. Some permanent ones are set but there are some that are only just cutting through.

Will the chuck bones and marrow bones be too hard for him? He likes gnawing on bones....

Kaiser's just lost all his puppy teeth. Some permanent ones are set but there are some that are only just cutting through.

Will the chuck bones and marrow bones be too hard for him? He likes gnawing on bones....

I feed my dogs based on raw meaty bones (about 70% of their diet) and I don't feed really hard bones any more. There are a few reasons but the most worrying thing is that really hard bones have been known to crack teeth and even result in teeth being snapped off. I wouldn't recommend lamb shanks or neck bones from cows for younger dogs especially and with caution for all ages. Marrow bones IMO are too rich for the average dog and are best given as a 'treat' infrequently. I know they're very popular but they don't deserve to be IMO.

With a pup, I'd be sticking with the softer bones such as lamb flap, lamb neck chops (rosettes), chicken parts, turkey parts, and the occasional piece of roo on the bone such as tail. Beef brisket is also good IMO. :thumbsup:

Oh, the aim of feeding meaty bones is that they EAT the bone not just the meat. If the bone is too hard, they can't eat it. :rolleyes:

Are beef brisket bones very large?

Yes, but many butchers cut them into pieces the size of a fist or so.

Aaah great, thanks.

Might have to locate them, good change from lamb flaps and chicken carcass.