Low Drive Versus High Drive Dogs

Where is your sense of adventure!?!?! I think i'd like a high drive BC one day (or a kelpie) just to *really* test myself!!!! I must admit - moderate to high drive dogs are the best ;)

LP - do what I did and get a Dally :p

If Zig is anything to go by - that's taking "Testing" to a WHOLE new level!!!! :mad:rofl: :p

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is your sense of adventure!?!?! I think i'd like a high drive BC one day (or a kelpie) just to *really* test myself!!!! I must admit - moderate to high drive dogs are the best :)

LP - do what I did and get a Dally ;)

If Zig is anything to go by - that's taking "Testing" to a WHOLE new level!!!! :mad:rofl: :p

Apparently he's the "low maintenance" model :p

i cant seem to find wat drives Indie....??..

she isnt particulary food driven,toy mad,priase needy.. she just is ...well INDIE..lol..

Im finding it very hard to reward good behaviour wen i cant find wat excites her!

I mean Lewis...he just would do about ANYTHING just to hear me say "good boy"..Indie,..she couldnt give a rats!!what do i do?

she isnt particulary food driven,toy mad,priase needy.. she just is ...well INDIE..lol..

Im finding it very hard to reward good behaviour wen i cant find wat excites her!

I mean Lewis...he just would do about ANYTHING just to hear me say "good boy"..Indie,..she couldnt give a rats!!what do i do?

It depends - can you list what she DOES like - rather than wonder about what she doesn't????

she likes all of these things but isnt "driven" by anything...Well none of the above,hence y i listed them. i was hoping for some suggestions??

Im findin it very hard to train her when she isnt motivated by the basics.

Ok - so she likes food? What type of food are you using? Does she like one above any others?

She likes toys - What type of toys? Tug toys, plush toys, balls? etc?

She likes your attention? In what way - you razzing her up, gentle pats etc?

It's good that she likes these things - thats what you want. Next step, once you have worked out how she rates each of these (perhaps sit and ponder for a little while) is to bring out the 'drive' for each.

That might mean - keeping a toy only for training and keep sessions short (playing with the toy) so that she always wants more of it - end just when the game is getting exciting. Pester her a little with the toy until she gets a bit annoyed and 'plays' with it :laugh:

Get her to work for her dinner - you do a sit, drop and stand for me and now you get your dinner? Feed her by hand a bit to get her to 'enjoy' the food

Play the 2 food game where you throw food one way and once she has got that throw it the other (this can be done with toys as well)....

Great that she likes the things - now we need to make them more 'exciting' for her :rofl:

It depends - can you list what she DOES like - rather than wonder about what she doesn't????

Also how you deliver the rewards/toys/food has a lot to do with the dogs reaction too. I can say "good girl" to one of my kids and she just looks at me and say yeah so what. But if I say "WOW GOOD GIRL YEE HAR" this certainly pushes all her buttons.

The same goes for toys - some dogs you can wave a toy in their face and they just look at you as if to say whats your problem, its your job to find their "on" button. I actually think most dogs have them - some are just a little harder to find.

And yep give me a high drive dog anyday - although they do come with there own set of issues - usually involving over enthusiasm :laugh:

And yep give me a high drive dog anyday - although they do come with there own set of issues - usually involving over enthusiasm :)

Good answer Ptolomy :)

Yep - i'm suffering from this at the moment.... although she seems to quieten down when she is in season :laugh:

Usually I need to find a way of not quenching her drive (last thing I want to do) but to stop her from jumping out of her skin for ONE measely piece of dry food, pat or throw of a toy!! She's fun, but sometimes :) I wish she would stop for a breath!!! :rofl: :D

The response I get from friends? Well - YOU WANTED a high drive dog!! :thumbsup::) No Sympathy I tell you!

:laugh: at the high drive comment. Hmm I am still supporting a couple of injuries as a result of the last time my medium drive dog decided to flip into top gear. Doesn't happen very often but when it does watch out!!!!!

ETA. I did mention to one of the gurus what I should do as I couldn't get Ness to concentrate for practising her dumbbell holds. They suggested I reduce the value of the food. Well problem is all I was using was boring old dry food in the first place and she isn't even high drive.

Edited by ness

When people are saying they only want a high drive dog, which drive are you talking about?

By saying you are only after high drive dogs, but only use tug toys as rewards you knock out heaps of other dogs whose major drive is either food or you.

Just a little confusing is all, i would say 80-90% of dogs have high drives but whether they are tapped into or not is another thing.

When people are saying they only want a high drive dog, which drive are you talking about?

By saying you are only after high drive dogs, but only use tug toys as rewards you knock out heaps of other dogs whose major drive is either food or you.

Just a little confusing is all, i would say 80-90% of dogs have high drives but whether they are tapped into or not is another thing.

Good question TO - I think it varies for each person.

For me - high drive constitutes a high drive for *something* - i've been lucky as both of my dogs go nuts for food/ toys and attention.

BUT I do agree with Ptolomy that it can be switched on in most dogs.

The biggest thing for me is that the dog will go to the ends of the earth for this one thing. and by that I mean they put their heart and soul into whatever they are doing, full of enthusiasm and pizazz all because of the reward at the end.

This is why i'm so up in the air about Leo - the above describes him perfectly for obedience, but agility - he seems to come out 'moderate- high' perhaps because of all the super fast BC's :thumbsup:

A high drive dog will keep on going like an energizer bunny because what they are doing is so rewarding :D

To build up a high drive dog and keep it there IMO is Bl**dy hard work!! :laugh::rofl:

Also how you deliver the rewards/toys/food has a lot to do with the dogs reaction too. I can say "good girl" to one of my kids and she just looks at me and say yeah so what. But if I say "WOW GOOD GIRL YEE HAR" this certainly pushes all her buttons.

The same goes for toys - some dogs you can wave a toy in their face and they just look at you as if to say whats your problem, its your job to find their "on" button. I actually think most dogs have them - some are just a little harder to find.

And yep give me a high drive dog anyday - although they do come with there own set of issues - usually involving over enthusiasm :laugh:

Tried all the get down all fours YEEHHAAAAAA...sure the neighbours think im a crazy lady,kinda talk..NOT really fussed!!

I mean sure,she MIGHT sometimes get excited,but only if she is already in hyper puppy mode.

She used to LOVE her cuz toy,..but she's over it now...and even then she wasnt driven by it.. as in..if i took it away she just went "oh well,seeya"..didnt come begging for more!

Im not using her drive for training to show or do any work with,just basic skills..mainly the metre radius(staying beside me)but she just bolts.

Her recall used to be great,but for some reason,she is now selectively deaf...

Dont get me wrong,she is a well behaved,very placid etc,just not very responsive!

Thanx everyone for your replies

i have an old staffy who was very driven..to obsession. Luckily her passion has died down hith old age

my lewis boy is happy with sweet talk and a pat,and rewards me with a big staffy smile and enthusiasm to do as i say..

But Indie...Aloof is the word I would use to describe her!

I would say that most of us need to have a much better understanding of our dogs than we really do to be able to say that our dogs do or don't have inherent drive for something. The human factor/interference IMO is just too great. I think we as owners are often far too inconsistent or misguided to really be accurate in assessing our dogs natural drives.

Some people stifle drive

Some people encourage drive

Some people tap into the wrong drive

Some people fail to recognise the right drive

Problem is that not everyone is aware of the above & many make categoric statements that are clearly unfounded when someone really knowledgeable actually observes them with their dogs.

U indicated that its more to do with the owners..I asked do u think Im stifling and could it be me even though the same trechniques worked for another dog??

ETA- Im here for answers...SO BEFORE people misinterperate anything i write,,i ask Q's only with an absolute want for learning.

Im so sick of threads turnin to crap from people assuming different.

Edited by Lewis & Lyn

U indicated that its more to do with the owners..I asked do u think Im stifling and could it be me even though the same trechniques worked for another dog??

Well I don't know you, so I can't say...

but I would say that if someone/anyone is saying that their dog doesn't respond in any drive, that the problem is more likely to be related to their relationship/interactions with them than any genetics the dogs has. Maybe you are an exception? I don't know b/c I don't know you. The same techniques may have worked for another dog but is it possible that the other dogs had different drives & that your relationship/interactions with him are different?

I have 4 dogs, all have different drives & levels of drives, but I am quite confident that I can get each of the 4 working for me enthusiastically whether I use food, toys or praise.

Why use the exact same training techniques for a different dog?

Just because you trained one dog with one method certainly doesnt mean it will work for the next dog.

No one is having a go, or misinterpreting, Vickie just gave her opinion of drives in dogs and the influence of the owner.

Really dont understand why you have got your hackles up :laugh: