Heeling Warmup This Morning (vid)

Hi Shoey

I have our home trial in mind (Northern), or one of the South West ones like Portland double, probably both. I am still not a VCA member yet, so I better get moving.

We have a fun day on Sunday at Northern, complete with a mock trial.

We only recently moved up to class 6 though, and dog has not learn't drop on recall yet, so really not sure which ring they will put me in. :(

LOL - yep its all you that needs work :( . I have a thing about using the outer hand to give the stand signal. I prefer the hand closest to the dog just looks a bit neater. I use the hand furthest for a drop but with a stand all you really need is quite a small signal and by giving it with the hand closest to the dog you aren't having to twist your shoulders or anything.

Yep I was going to say turns (but then I know all about needing to work on those) as mine are dreadful.

The other thing it looks like on the video is that the dog is forging a bit. While thats great in itself I have been told its possible to get enthusiastic heelwork in the correct position so possibly you need to refine it a fraction to bring the dog further back. The way I do it is to reward down close to your leg in the exact spot you want the dog to be. If they are to far forward they obviously miss there treat and therefore move back to get it. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Overall though I loved the enthusiasm so from that point of view you get full marks from me. Nothing nicer then a dog enjoying there heelwork.

Oh one more thing I think you possibly stop to abruptly on your halts. If you slow down just before a halt it gives the dog a much better chance of getting the position (not that the dog is missing any) and a neater peformance.

Edited by ness

Looking good DD. :(

I was going to say the about turns too. He was good on the stationary ones so maybe you are taking too big a step in the moving ones, it is hard to see without seeing you from the side.

Thankyou for the comments.

The outside hand signal for stand is due to my default settings to what I learnt all those years ago I am afraid, and while your thoughts make perfect sense, it may be a little too late to change them before I debut him at trail very soon, maybe after first title.

ATM I am focussing on the left about turn, as I want it a lot tighter.

The slight forge every now and again is an anticipation thing. He is constantly trying to outguess me as to which direction we are going, so I may be giving off a false cue somewhere in my body language on the turns, because this is where he does it on most occasions, mainly when he is in a high drive. Its like he wants to commit to my turning signal too quickly, almost at the very milisecond that I know where I am going. It seems to point towards a footwork problem.

I really want to be analised by someone who really knows what to look for, so I plan to be shooting a lot more video soon. Dog has been taught to heel receiving reward while in correct position using left hand running down leg, so the problem is post learning stage.

That's some nice attention and attitude you have there, Dogdude! :eek:

He does seem to be going out a little wide on most of the about turns, but not sure if that's a bad thing (i.e I know you have a slightly different style of heeling in Oz than we do in NZ, so they might be completely acceptable to the judges where you are, even though they'd be penalised here).

Good luck when you start to trial!

Yeah, the left about is the problem, he very rarely goes wide on a right about turn.

Have been focusing on left abouts this morning, and have found a sizeable improvement, just have to work on getting it set as default. I hope a month or two will be enough if we keep the focus on it.

Edited by dogdude

Wow! :cry: I wish my dog and I were that good!!!

He still likes to work a little too wide.. and needs to pay a little more attention to me. Your dog is just so focussed on you!!

-I- need to work on my bloody signals! I'm so sloppy :eek: I'm always bending down for my dog.. I also have a habit of 'bobbing' when I turn which I'm trying to break :rofl: I also have a bad habit of saying his name in the wrong places or when I'm not supposed to talk.. Augh.. I'll never be promoted!

Yeah, the left about is the problem, he very rarely goes wide on a right about turn. .

It must be a cultural difference thing then. :eek: I think the Oz and NZ styles of heeling must be quite different.

I got my LAB a little neater by routinely treating in the middle of the turn (dropped the treat where I wanted his head to be, if his head wasn't there, he didn't get it), wasn't long until he worked it out. Also tidied it up by sometimes either doing a 270 instead of a 180, or taking a few steps back immediately after the turn, ensured he had to give me attention and stay in heel position through the turn since I could do something unpredictable immediately afterwards. So perhaps those ideas are something to play around with while doodling? Not that I'm the heeling pro or anything. :cry:

ok - finally got to watch it....

sorry - I couldn't concentrate on account of the SPEED that tail was going - I was sure he was going to take off any second :D :D ;) ;) :shrug:

He looks great DD! I absolutely :rofl: the enthusiasm.

Pointers?

I'm with Ness - his forging a little and of course (as you already said) his turns are a little wide..... keep the treat at your knee and that should make em nice and tight....

I am sure you already know -but his drop was a little crooked too :rofl:

His halts are perfect! Great attention and nice and speedy!

Soo.... when do we see you around the trial rings, huh, huh?!?! :laugh::o:rofl:

You've made me all motivated to video mine now too - might con someone in for it tomorrow :rofl: