Anyone Tried A 'husher'?

http://www.husher.com.au/default.aspx?depa...nt=About+Husher

I think I've worked out the worst times for my 2 barking- late afternoon when golfers are out, talking loudly etc. and other dogs across the golf course also barking. Both dogs seem to like the back deck (elevated) to "guard" their yard. I can keep them in the yard, but will need to tarp the fence to block their view. I suspect the noise is enough to set them off, so this could be a waste of time?

Yesterday, I caught the mini barking at a magpie, thru the fence :love: .

I'm now taking both dogs with me 90% of the time when I go out in the afternoon, though I can't on weekends when I work.

Both are well-exercised, but quite used to company. I often give a chicken carcass/ bones/ pigs ears when I go out.

I cannot leave the larger dog inside as he's chewed a doorframe.

There are holiday houses surrounding me, except for next door- neighbours are great, but when I asked they said the dogs seem to be barking more. The youngest one more so when b4 he didn't (now 8 months).

Am I kidding myself and should I go straight to an ecollar? I've tried an ultrasonic type with the smaller dog with no success.

Neighbours are unlikely to make a council complaint, but I don't want them to suffer for being nice.

Any ideas most welcome. Thanks :laugh:

A friend of mine has used one PW but there's no way I'd leave a dog unattended wearing one.

I use Jetcare anti-barking collars. They spray a cold jet of liquid on the dog's throat when it barks. They work well on poodles because we shave their throats so the hair is very short. They certainly have done the trick with my boys.

Edited by poodlefan

I tried a husher...if i looked the other way Sabre would take it off...no matter how tight i made it! So he only didn't bark if i was watching him....and he wouldn't bark while i was watching him anyway!

But yeah...i wouldn't leave a dog unsupervised in a Husher - actually says on the packet for the dog to be supervised while the husher is in use i think.

A friend of mine has used one PW but there's no way I'd leave a dog unattended wearing one.

I use Jetcare anti-barking collars. They spray a cold jet of liquid on the dog's throat when it barks. They work well on poodles because we shave their throats so the hair is very short. They certainly have done the trick with my boys.

That was my thought, too, if they'd ended up tangled trying to get the Husher off. I know Oscar (mini) would hate it. If I'm there, I can "shh" them myself or pre-emptively distract or bring them inside.

I found a problem with the ultrasonic one was that it also used a microphone that detected normal running or play as a bark, so he'd also be 'zapped' at the wrong times. Should have seen the face :laugh: . It wasn't a cheap one, either, but was borrowed, about 4 years ago.

Did you see a similar problem with the Jetcare one?

Was also wondering about the zap factor on a shaved throat if I did use an ecollar? Guess use level 1?

Was also wondering about the zap factor on a shaved throat if I did use an ecollar? Guess use level 1?

I have an eletronic anit-bark collar. An Innotek, however there is no manual way to adjust the level of the zap.

I did't know you could get one where you could do this? Can you tell me what brand it is?

The Innotek one works in that when the dog barks it automaticly starts at a low level and if dog barks again (within a second or so) jumps to

a higher level. There are 3 levels. If dog stops barking after first level, it re-sets and when dog barks again (longer than second or so) it is

only zapped at same low level. So in effect it automaticaly finds the right level of correction for that dog. However I have

been told about dogs that will bark through all 3 levels and get welts on their neck. But that's a serious barker or a dog with high anxiety

where the anxiety over-rides the pain and in these cases should not be used. I know of a person who put 3 yes 3 collars on a dog at once as

the dog barked through the collars. Very very stupid.

I have an eletronic anit-bark collar. An Innotek, however there is no manual way to adjust the level of the zap.

K9: This is a BC200 then? There is a way but it isnt simple...

I did't know you could get one where you could do this? Can you tell me what brand it is?

K9: Innotek used to have a BC100, they were quite a good collar but the have discontinued them now. They were full adjustable...

We use the Dogtra brand & they are full manual collars.. http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=antibark.html

The Innotek one works in that when the dog barks it automaticly starts at a low level and if dog barks again (within a second or so) jumps to a higher level. There are 3 levels. If dog stops barking after first level, it re-sets and when dog barks again (longer than second or so) it is nly zapped at same low level. So in effect it automaticaly finds the right level of correction for that dog.

K9: BC200 has 7 auto set levels.. & yes but some dogs need the higher level or they keep barking...

However I have been told about dogs that will bark through all 3 levels and get welts on their neck.

K9: No, this is incorrect, no anti bark collar puts out enough power on any level to even mark skin... Having the collar fitted for excessive amounts of time can produce soars, called pressure necrosis. Nothing to do with electricity...

But that's a serious barker or a dog with high anxiety where the anxiety over-rides the pain and in these cases should not be used.

K9: again incorrect...

I know of a person who put 3 yes 3 collars on a dog at once as the dog barked through the collars. Very very stupid.

K9: 3 of what type of collar?

I didn't know you could get one where you could do this? Can you tell me what brand it is?

I haven't bought one yet. I'm looking at only the antibark type. I liked the Innotek BC200 one that has the rechargeable battery (about $200-220) but Steve from K9 Force has said some dogs learn to work around the program on this collar, making it useless.

Some websites:

http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=antibark.html

http://www.hushpuppy.com.au/

http://www.barkcontrol.com.au/category1_1.htm

I know of a person who put 3 yes 3 collars on a dog at once as the dog barked through the collars. Very very stupid.

That's probably why they're banned in some states :eek: .

If you want a laugh, there are lots of videos of stupid humans wearing and activating them on YouTube.

Have to remember dogs have hair on their throats, unlike us!

A few websites have collar manuals on there to read. Most say the dog should only wear the collar for 8 hours at a time, due to the pressure of the prongs on the neck. (Same principle as the bedridden getting bedsores- pressure on one area causes eventual skin breakdown).

but Steve from K9 Force has said some dogs learn to work around the program on this collar, making it useless.

K9: the design of operation means that if the chip detects that the dog hasnt stopped barking it will time out (switch off), some dogs work this out, only a small percentage, but some do. If they do the collar wont be much use.

Also, the collar does keep ramping down if there is a period of inactivity (no barking). This is a nice feature for a dog that has forgotten, or a way for a smart dog to bark in small bursts every few minutes without getting a correction at the level that dog needs, to stop barking.

I preferred Innoteks old BD100, fully adjustable levels & sensitivity...

However I have been told about dogs that will bark through all 3 levels and get welts on their neck.

K9: No, this is incorrect, no anti bark collar puts out enough power on any level to even mark skin... Having the collar fitted for excessive amounts of time can produce soars, called pressure necrosis. Nothing to do with electricity...

But that's a serious barker or a dog with high anxiety where the anxiety over-rides the pain and in these cases should not be used.

K9: again incorrect...

K9: 3 of what type of collar?

Thanks for your response K9 and info on the other collars avail.

If no damage can be done to skin even if dog continually barks through high levels then the user must have left collar on for too long. When/if we are in contact again I will point this out. Good to know and feel re-assured no damage can be done. My girl is collar smart and will now not bark at all when it is on. Has never barked past the first level. So my current collar has been perfect for her.

I would be concerned about using an e-collar on a dog barking out of stress/anxiety. Even if the collar stopped the barking, if the dog is still stressed could he not then find a new way of releasing his anxiety changing the problem behaviour to a different one, not fixing the cause of the dogs problem. I can see a use in conjunction with other behaviour modification. But some people use to fix the sympton without working on the cause of the anxiety. That's why it concerns me.

Re: 3 collars. Electronic, citronella and another one that I can't remember. Maybe that wrong type of collar being used. If things aren't working I wouldn't keep adding multiple collars. suggest professional advice.

I have loaned my anti-bark collar (Innotek one being talked about in this thread) to a friend with a Japanese Spitz. Now if I put it on one of my Kelpies, not a sound, but she says that it hasn't helped as much as she thought it would with the Japanese Spitz. Maybe Kelpies are more sensitive? Or maybe due to more hair on Japanese Spitz.

• 1 month later...

Your questions are quite broad, Joanne. You'll find a lot of information here on the forum, so I suggest you start researching by using the "search" function here.

If have access to databases of journal articles (eg Web of Science, or even Google Scholar) you'll find a wealth of articles that way. If you don't have access to the full papers, check your local university's library catalogue on-line.