Chicken V Beef

Ok this is a dumb question I know

But I have had my puppy on a home made diet combined with a dry food

her home made food is made with chicken and lamb mince human grade+the usual veg, oil ect... can I change to beef or at least add it she is 5 months old

I know Im going to look like a bad owner but barf patties are 17$ for 12 and human chicken mince is costing me 8-10 $ a kilo and its getting expensive I can get beef mince for 3-5$ a kilo if I buy in bulk

but all puppy food I look at is chicken I dont want to do the wrong thing and " break " :eek: my puppy

I feed mainly chicken ie carcasses, wings, necks, ground carcas(mince).......however, I wean my babies on beef mince (human grade), they start eating little balls of it from 3 weeks of age. My babies will be eating slices of chicken necks by 5/6 wks.

Mine are all Barf fed, and I dont use human chicken mince, I use either chicken mince my butcher grinds for me which is the whole carcass minced ($1 kg & fresh), or human beef mince, lamb is always expensive so I dont bother with that, they get lamb from eating lamb flaps/ribs.

I feed mainly chicken ie carcasses, wings, necks, ground carcas(mince).......however, I wean my babies on beef mince (human grade), they start eating little balls of it from 3 weeks of age. My babies will be eating slices of chicken necks by 5/6 wks.

Mine are all Barf fed, and I dont use human chicken mince, I use either chicken mince my butcher grinds for me which is the whole carcass minced ($1 kg & fresh), or human beef mince, lamb is always expensive so I dont bother with that, they get lamb from eating lamb flaps/ribs.

does minced carcass have enough meat in it for a Cavalier? I was doing 1/2 minced carcass and 1/2 and chicken or lamb mince

I cant give her whole carcass or chicken wings or lamb flaps or any bones for that matter yet as she has possesive agresstion issues we are dealing with at the moment that are triggered by bones

It depends on the dog (eg, possible allergies or digestive problems), the dry food used, and the mix of fresh and dry food . . . among other things. For my money, chicken carcasses or meaty frames are preferred because they give a better balance of calcium to potassium (ie bone to meat). . . and it's nice that they're dirt cheap. If they're too big for your dog, get a good meat cleaver and whack them to bits. I use a supplement that's high in zinc and other trace nutrients . . . feeding beef won't up the selinium which is commonly deficient in diets, so might as well up the whole lot together.

On the other hand, the greyhound racers down the street feed just beef muscle meat and their dogs aren't short on bone and seem to be tough as nails.

PS

She should be allowed to eat her meal in peace and not under threat that someone is going to take it away. Mine all have their own crate they eat in so they can all eat at their own pace without others trying to steal it (bones especially)etc.... If they were all out loose with a bone each they would spend the whole time growling & guarding their bones & no time actually eating LOL.

Iam getting a crate big enough for her to eat in to make her feel more safe as she has grown out of her's but even when alone( we had a web cam set up ) with bones she will literally shake will fear whimpering growling barking and not eat them or leave them till she wears herself out and falls asleep if she hears any noise she wakes and starts again

we are working with a behaviourist funny thing is its really only bones she is like this with so it was decided that bones are just too cause to much stress right now so we have cut them out in whole form totally so only minced for now

Edited by Falling_dawn