Barf Offal

ncarter

beef liver, lamb liver, chicken liver, beef kidney, lamb kidney, lamb hear, beef heart. It give a little bit of all these things. One at a time just roated depending on what I have, in a small amount, a couple of times a week. If you have to choose one type, I would use some kind of liver.

beef liver, lamb liver, chicken liver, beef kidney, lamb kidney, lamb heart, beef heart. It give a little bit of all these things. One at a time just roated depending on what I have, in a small amount, a couple of times a week. If you have to choose one type, I would use some kind of liver.

All of the above, plus ox tongue, sometimes a nibble on a pigs head - they love the eyes :cool:

making up approx. 10% of total food intake. I usually get chicken frames with gibletty bits still attached.

annieK

Offal is organ meat.

So dont think Ox cheek is offal (correct me if i am wrong)

I use the same as Espinay2, i freeze up several weeks worth of meat so they get a variety over the days they are fed mince. Have liver, heart and kidney mixes in there at the moment (all beef).

Offal is organ meat.

So dont think Ox cheek is offal (correct me if i am wrong)

I use the same as Espinay2, i freeze up several weeks worth of meat so they get a variety over the days they are fed mince. Have liver, heart and kidney mixes in there at the moment (all beef).

I think ox cheek, ox tongue and heart is classed as muscle meat as opposed to offal. Offal is kidneys and liver?

But there is no need to be exact & scientific about it. The main thing is variety, and I think 10% of total food over a period of a couple of weeks is fine. Otherwise you will send yourself nuts :laugh:

annieK

I like getting Offal from Woolworths as they sell it diced which saves me touching it anymore than I have to. I shouldn't really give Woolworths a plug as I work at Coles. :whiteflag:

i've just been cutting up beef liver and lambs fry for the first time! man i didn't realise how big they are :laugh: by the way is lambs fry liver? really should have asked the butcher, i just assumed because it was next to the beef liver! and boy it sure stinks no way ted was leaving my side while i was cutting them up!! already diced would be quite handy, although it is so cheap at my butchers, will have to check it out.

should they be getting a little bit of offal every day? or is it more a special treat thing?

Unless your dog wont touch it whole i would try giving it too them whole (or halved depending on dog size)

The only cutting i do is down to the correct portion size.

Up to you whether to feed it everyday or not, i only feed it when i feed mince and i only feed that every second-third day.

hi anyone know what is the best type of offal to use in barf? ive used ox hearts before but i found them too fatty. what about chicken liver are these good?

Sheep Liver is what is used in the commerical barf diet if that helps

I like getting Offal from Woolworths as they sell it diced which saves me touching it anymore than I have to. I shouldn't really give Woolworths a plug as I work at Coles. ;)

Hi I just had to comment on your post, it gave me a laugh :rolleyes: .

Thanks I needed one.

by the way is lambs fry liver?

yeah it is.

If you buy offal from the supermarket/butcher how can you be sure there is no hydatid (sp?) tapeworm in it?

Because it's been inspected and passed as fit for human consumption. I won't feed any other kind.

I use any kind beef, lamb and chicken liver, and kidneys. I blend it and add it to the BARF mix. My dogs won't touch it raw otherwise. :rolleyes:

I use any kind beef, lamb and chicken liver, and kidneys. I blend it and add it to the BARF mix. My dogs won't touch it raw otherwise. :rolleyes:

Yukky, does it smell really bad blended? Smells gross when i cut it down to size ;)

I use any kind beef, lamb and chicken liver, and kidneys. I blend it and add it to the BARF mix. My dogs won't touch it raw otherwise. :offtopic:

Yukky, does it smell really bad blended? Smells gross when i cut it down to size :eek:

Put it this way Tollers... I've only ever sniffed it once. :cry: