Bests Ways To Prevent Constipation In Dogs

kyeesha

Hub's JRT was off colour yesterday, as the evening wore on she started to get worse, her tummy swelled up, she was lethargic and trembling all over.

Quick trip to the after hours vet and NINETY bucks later we discover she is constipated.

Has any one had this problem and what did you feed you dog to help prevent it. We have five other dogs atm, they are all fed the same food and by the look of the backyard none other the others have this problem.

The vet didn't suggest anything?

What's his normal diet?

Basics are plenty of fresh water available and exercise.

Others have said they buy the cheapest, canned food which seems to work well as a laxative as long as your dog doesn't get it every day. You could give some once a week? Add some cod liver oil to his food (only small amount)?

My vet suggested Metamucil when my smaller dog had problems with his anal glands. I did it for a while, but it was messy and he didn't like it much. Resolved, anyway.

Marrow bones can cause constipation e.g. if given most days.

She is fed the same as all the others, chicken wings, frames and mince, dry bikkies, meaty bones. She's very lazy and isn't a dog to run around and excerise ( she's NOT ya "typical JRT lol ), have suggested to hub's he start taking her for a daily walk which I am thinking may help.

Edited by kyeesha

Is she an older dog?

Perhaps she is not as good as digesting the bony parts of her meal, and this is causing trouble?

Has it happened before?

If not, then maybe she ate something else, or extra bone, or didn't drink enough water....

There are lots of maybe's :thumbsup:

I use Psyllium husks, obtained from health food store or fodder store or pharmacy. Psyllium is what metamucil contains, WITHOUT the sugar/flavouring. It works out much cheaper.

Hamlet weighs around 20kg, and only gets about a half teaspoon of the husks.This can be sprinkled on food, or soaked first for a few minutes(it forms a gel) then mixed in something yummy. The horse gets it (to prevent sand colic), as do the old cats(to help move furballs along)

All I would suggest is lots of water, maybe a bit of canned food, and check with the vet if it happens again.

Meggie is 7 yrs old and seems to have slowed down a bit re exercise so we have to keep an eye on that also.

Am thinking it MAY has happened before and we didn't pick up on what was happening. With six dogs pooping in the b/yard it's not easy to tell who has done what, except for Kirra our GSD her poops are quite noticable ;)

The suggestion of the canned food is good, will get some today, was going to get her some Parrafin oil also, what do others think re this, would it be too harsh for her atm.

Hub's is also going to start taking her for a walk each day, which will be good for both of them me thinks

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions, really appreciate them :thumbsup:

I use the psyllium husks also, as the dogs are toys I give a few sprinkle a couple of times a week, have done so for years and have had no issues with constipation. You can purchase psyllium husks in the health food section of the supermarket.

Carabelle

$90? You got off lightly! Took my labradoodle to the after hours vet the other night and it was $182.50 just for a consultation!

Edit: After she heard about it, my mum bought my dog some health insurance :thumbsup:

Edited by Blossom