Favourite Training Book?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I'm going to have to see if I can get my hands on some of these recommended books.

I haven't read many training books yet - only what I have got from the public library, but 'The power of positive dog training' by Pat Miller is good, and I also enjoyed 'The complete idiot's guide to positive dog training'.

I'm about to hire out 'Introduction to dog agility' by Margaret Bonham... anyone read it, or knows if it's good/so-so/not so good?

I'm wondering if it may put me on the wrong track if it's based on another country's agility rules... I'm very new to it.

• 1 month later...

Amhailte

Thank you!!!! I have been trying to remember the name and authors of that great book about training in drive and you have now remembered it for me!

Don't suppose you would know where one can buy it? I loved it so much that I painstakingly copied it (at work shhh) years ago but have managed to lose my copies in one of my moves.

It is definately not just for schutzhund training but for almost anyone who wants there dogs to work as if they are really loving it and in drive!

Annie and her boyz

I have read Jan Fennel / Ceasar Millan and didn't like any of those books. :p

From what I've heard - they won't get much credibility from me either.

Has anyone ever heard of "control unleashed" It has come highly recommended to me and would love to hear more :rofl:

Have just ordered a copy last week.

Will let you know !

I ordered mine yesterday and very much looking forward to it. :rofl: I wouldn't class Cesar Milan's book as a "training" book as such to me it is more aimed at techniques to use for relationship building within the pet home :) .

I've asked for "Control Unleashed" for Christmas :rofl: as well as a few others, "Ruff Love" by Susan Garrett can't remember the rest :)

"The beginners guide to dog agility" by Laurie Leach is in the mail on it's way to me now.

I'm only half way through but this is what I can say about it so far. 'Control Unleashed' is a program designed by McDevitt for "dogs with issues" (as McDevitt says). It takes you though the steps that each week at training she would do with the class. It is not directly made for agility but since most of the people she had in classes were agility dogs with focus issues or reactive dogs it can be used as a foundation for agility or used to help agility performance.

• 4 weeks later...

I only recently discovered this topic - must have been under a rock! Where do you guys buy these books? I have been busy googling and found Culture Clash and CIG Positive Dog Training and Morgan's book.

My family's getting them for Christmas for me, definately beats getting yet another bloody serving platter :rofl:

Unfortunately, mostly from overseas as these type of books are hard to get locally. Here are some websites to get you started:

www.dogwise.com

www.cleanrun.com

www.amazon.com

One local place which might have the odd book or DVD is www.airdogs.com.au

Don't spend too much :rofl:

well just finished watching Susan Garretts new Crate Training DVD.... and i would give it a definite 10 out of 10.....

Can you give us a run down on what it covers? This is one I'm really interested in :)

Off the Agility Click website:

http://www.agilityclick.com/prod157.htm

Regardless of whether you are introducing a puppy to a crate for the first time or retraining an older dog, "Crate Games" presents clear boundaries to teach your pet how much fun life is when he follows your rules. It is the cornerstone of Susan’s unbelievably successful dog training program. Watch your dog’s confidence grow as he masters a speedy recall, sit stay, distance work, amazing self control, distraction training, motivation, and drive – all from a game your pet will love to play! "Crate Games" will allow your dog to be more comfortable in a crate and better behaved when outside of one!

Step by step training that is as easy as it is effective. Imagine one program giving your dog the skills to not only become a phenomenal family pet but potentially the next World Champion!

• 1 month later...
well just finished watching Susan Garretts new Crate Training DVD.... and i would give it a definite 10 out of 10.....

Can you give us a run down on what it covers? This is one I'm really interested in :cheers:

sorry to take so long to reply...

but exactly what the previous post says... in the info taklen off the clean run site...

Susan shows how to train the dog to love its crate, slightly different than what i previously do.. or have been taught the best thing about this dvd is that you actually see Susan training crate games... how to use the crates for a solid start line stay, teaching dogs to find difficult tunnel/contatc entries... how she trains her dogs to be quiet in their crates whilst working her other dogs(this is what mine need the most)

Well worth it for the price...

I would give it 3 :o:o:happydance:

I have just Finished reading Leslie McDevitts CONTROL UNLEASHED

also 3 :happydance::champagne::champagne:

very informative and a definete 10 out of 10 great for any dog owner... looks more to games we can polay for reactive as well as shut down dogs, how to help dogs get over stress issues...

Another DVD i have also recently watched is Wendy PAPEs Games to Enhance Training... is good for those that need to enhance their tug games or those wanting to learn differetn games to play with their dogs.. has 16 different tug games to play with your dog...

2 :thumbsup::dropjaw:

Another place to purchase stuff in aus is www.airdogs.com.au very competitive prices

Edited by bordacollies4me

I only recently discovered this topic - must have been under a rock! Where do you guys buy these books? I have been busy googling and found Culture Clash and CIG Positive Dog Training and Morgan's book.

My family's getting them for Christmas for me, definately beats getting yet another bloody serving platter :o

i know what you mean, in my chrissy presents from the family were smelly stuff for the bathroom, things i would never ever use... and from my friends doggy stuff and alcohol... go figure

• 2 weeks later...

Have received and viewed Greg Derretts latest DVD

Great Dog Great HAndler The winning Combination

would rate it another great training source, ideally for the bit more experienced handler and only for those who have watched his other dvd's and are utilizing his handling methods... '

So if you have watched Great Dog shame about the handler... and have been trianing using his handling system then i fully reccommend it..

2 :scold::rofl: from me