My Puppy - Why Won't He Walk On His Lead?

MyPuppyBuster

Hello! My little 3 1/2 month Dachshund is so cute! I have now enrolled him in puppy school, which is due to start soon. But in the meantime, I am faced with another dilema! I need to walk him to Puppy School, however, he won't walk on his lead. He lies down on the ground and won't budge - he hates the outdoors and refuses to go anywhere.

I get down to his level and offer him small treats as an incentive, but it doesn't do anything! I have also made sure that he is in a routine of: when I come home, it's walk time, we "walk" for 1/2 an hour and then when we get home, I make my dinner and then it's his dinner time. I have been trying to keep this routine now for about 2 weeks, but it's so difficult doing it when he won't walk.

I've even isolated it to only our street, which is very quiet and not many other dogs walk there or cars.....

Does anyone have any tips to help me train my Buster??

Thanks!

Half an hour is a hell of a lot of walking for such a young puppy MPB. :mad

I'd recommend you limit walks to no more than 5 minutes. I'd be practicing with the lead in the back yard first too.

I don't walk my pups on lead for exercise until they are 6 months old.

How long does it take to walk to puppy school?

You have to remember that over-exercising isn't good for your puppy's joints but also that puppies tend to have short attention-spans. I know that with my 3 month old girl I can only do lead training for about 5 minutes at a time before she starts getting frustrated and loses focus. So I tend to do 5 minutes in the morning and then 5 at night. So far so good...

Oh cool - I didn't realise (this is my first puppy) that half an hour was too much!!! Silly me. Yeah, I've tried to walk him up and down the backyard..... What are your suggestions for the actual training part?

Also, the dog training school is about a 15 minute walk and I can't drive so what are your suggestions for getting him up there if he won't walk on the lead?

Thanks so much for your valuable feedback.

Edited by MyPuppyBuster

What does Buster do when you put the lead on? Does he do "donkey dog" (that's what I call it when they park and refuse to move) from the word go or does he take a few steps?

The key to get him to follow you is to get him used to wearing his collar and leash when he's stationary or at home where it doesn't worry him and get him walking happily around the house or in the yard.

I start with using food or a toy to encourage him to follow and to reward ANY forward movement. Like a baby, you start with a few steps and nice and slowly and build up. Treat or throw the dog for him...

You should get help with this at puppy school. Balky puppies are pretty common. :mad

I agree with what the others are saying about the lead training.

With getting to training classes - I assume a Dachshund pup is not that big at 3 months? Could you carry him to the class if he won't walk?

Aww carry him to classes :mad ..@ 3 month they r soo small.. I to have a dacy who is 1 year old I only walk him for 15mins 3 days a week with such lil legs they get way to tired quickly. half hour walk is to much for a dacy at that age..

I agree i used to put alead on him and let him walk around the house with it on.. Also i had acollor on the days i wouldnt be teaching him

Ok now we want pics!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well i do anyhow lol :eek::rofl:

Edited by Daxhound

I agree with what the others are saying about the lead training.

With getting to training classes - I assume a Dachshund pup is not that big at 3 months? Could you carry him to the class if he won't walk?

Thank you - is that okay to carry him? I don't want him to get used to that kind of behaviour! Do you recommend a doggy bag? I just get paranoid that he might squiggle out of my arms and crash onto the pavement and I would feel terrible if that ever happened! :mad

If it is only going to be to training, I would just carry him in your arms (you may need breaks though - they can feel heavy pretty fast :eek: ). I don't have a problem with the doggy carry bags if used correctly, but they are expensive, and a puppy might wee in it or chew it. Crates are great :mad but would add to the weight you have to carry.

Aww carry him to classes :mad ..@ 3 month they r soo small.. I to have a dacy who is 1 year old I only walk him for 15mins 3 days a week with such lil legs they get way to tired quickly. half hour walk is to much for a dacy at that age..

I agree i used to put alead on him and let him walk around the house with it on.. Also i had acollor on the days i wouldnt be teaching him

Ok now we want pics!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well i do anyhow lol :eek::rofl:

Your pup is so cute, love the hat!

Thanks for the advice - Now I know! I don't have any pictures that I can post - they're all on my phone and I lost the software to download them.... But he's inbetween a mini and full (Dad's a mini and Mum's a full grown).... He's black and tan (with little tan feet, eyebrows, snout and chest), smooth haired with a short snout. He's the cutest dog I've ever seen!

I had exactly the same problem with my dachshund when she was a puppy (she's now 18 months) and I thought she would never walk on a lead. They're so tiny though and I think you just have to see the world through their eyes - its enormous! She would come out the gate, go maybe 10 steps and then stop. Even encouraging her gently wouldn't get her to budge. Was determined though that she should get used to the sounds of cars and people and all other manner of noises when out walking so I would just pick her up and carry her for a few minutes, then put her down then carry etc. etc. !!!! Then I decided that puppies learn through other dogs so enrolled help of a friend with a dog so she could see that dogs walk on leads (!) which she did for a few minutes quite enthusiastically and then had to be carried. Not long after though she just started walking. I'm sure it will happen they do eventually want to walk and smell all those doggy smells. Patience, which incidentally with a dachshund you will need. Wonderful dogs though - enjoy.

What sort of lead are you using.

With our pups we will sit out the front Let the pup freee roam on a long leash to get use to the lead,once accepted we then start lead training.Basically dont lower yourself.

Make sure the lead is suitable.

With your voice tone make the walk fun & enticing,walk backwards if you have too.If pup has a mild tainty wait till its finished & then proceed.If pup does a quick burst make sure you praise .

Hi..may I suggest that you ONLY give him some of favourite toys/treats when he is outside in the yard, with his collar onm, and the leash attched, and dragging behind him :(

Play with him outside, feed him outside, all with the leash on (SUPERVISED). This way, he may associate the drag of the leash as being a GOOD thing.

You can then pick the leash up, and treat him, etc.

Walks should only be 5-10 minutes for such a baby.... that way he is still interested, and he isn't tired or sore.

If you are going to carry him in a container of some sort, get him used to it for a few days FIRST :love: leave it open, let him eat in it, play in it..so he isn't frightened. Pick him up in it for just a minute..praising him..and gradually increase the time.

Looking forward to pics :D

Edited by persephone