Cant Get Dog To Learn "drop"

My dog will be tested on monday for her "drop" command. For the life of me,she just isnt getting it!!

Ive resorted to physically putting her into postition,but she still doesnt seem to get what i want her to do.

She easily learnt "come" "sit" "shake"(hands) She even is pretty much getting "up"..but the drop is killin me.

Im not intending on showing her,its for basic obedience only,should i change the command(e.g to 'lie'),just incase she has associated "drop"with something other than wat i want her to do o r shld i persist with that command?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Edited to add: wasnt sure if i should post here or in puppy problems as she is only 3mths old

Edited by Lewis & Lyn

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being that she is only 3mths old I would either continue using "drop" or "down" if you play fetch with her I would use down as generally we all use drop to get things off our dogs.Use food rewards by first getting her to sit that way your half way there to start with,then let her sniff the food and slowly take it down to the floor,right between her front legs and hold it there- do not let her get the treat till she has dropped.I teach puppy pre school and advanced dog training and have found this method the most effective with puppies and also they learn to think for themselves rather than waiting to be pushed into position.hope this helps :thumbsup:

I have been gettin her food treat,bringin it to her nose,(while she is in sit position) bring food dwn between her front legs then out in front (in L-shape).. she NEVER gets into drop position no matter how tight i do it.

As i mentioned i have now resorted to bringin her front legs forward myself!

I use 'Drop' for lie down and 'Give' for give the toy etc

I teach Drop from a stand, luring with food to the ground and then either forwards or back towards their body depending on the dog.

I was told to do it from sit position as its easier for the dog.Like i said its only for basic obedience. Do u think its as easy to teach from standing. and how do u do it?

Some dogs do it easier from a stand, some from a sit.

You could also try getting her to drop under a chair or your legs (if doggie is smaller enough), lure doggie under and say drop when doggie hits the deck.

They will be quicker to drop from a stand. If you teach drop from a sit, the dog will always sit first, then drop. Since I want fast responses and minimal movement for competition, I teach drop from a stand.

Will your dog follow the food treat at all? What you could try is making an L-shape or bridge with your legs and luring your pup under your legs. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how well I explained that :thumbsup: It is easier to show than explain. This way the pup has to drop to go under your legs, and when she is in the right position, she gets the treat. Then you start fading the use of your legs.

she does follow the treat down to the ground but once i pull my hand out to get her into the down position she loses interest.

If i get a toy,she is OVER stimulated and loses focus.

I even tried skipping one of her meals to make sure she is hungry( didnt skip all together,gave her part portion

Are you putting the treats on the ground?? Or giving from your hand? They need to be on the ground with your hand removed fairly quickly, a couple of treats too to keep her in the position for a little while.

OK, I'm back at training on Sunday so come see me after your class. I will be taking the Canine Mans Best Friend class in front of where you take your dog for vetting.

Remember, all dogs know how to sit, stand, drop - they just have to learn to do it when you tell them!

Noels.

Are you putting the treats on the ground?? Or giving from your hand? They need to be on the ground with your hand removed fairly quickly, a couple of treats too to keep her in the position for a little while.

I tried both from the hand and on the ground!! and leave a pile for her to stay in position.

Wen she IS in position do i say Drop once and good girl or ...??? Please tell me? God i wish i had doggy friends in this area(sutherland/st george). lol

she does follow the treat down to the ground but once i pull my hand out to get her into the down position she loses interest.

Sound like you are moving the treat too far, too fast and that could be why she is losing interest. You could try having lots of little treats in your hand so she can snuffle them continously while following your hand to drop. It should only take a few successful drops for them to get it.

Mrs Dog..Im with Jannali Vet. Ive been seein him for over maybe 20yrs. I DID meet someone from PETCARE 2000 wo is in training too. Can i come to watch on sunday (provided im not working-im on call) at sutherland. My dog has ll shots etc??

I would say drop as doggie hits the ground, at this stage you are still teaching word association. So drop as doggie hits ground, followed immediately by a 'yes' or click, treats on ground and release quickly.

L&L here is a tip to try:

If you wish to continue from a sit (I, like Kavik, prefer to teach drop from stand) try this. At meal time, take the food bowl off the ground (fill with yummy food and hold in your hand). With your dog in a sit, begin feeding some food so that she is eagerly eating from your hands. After a few handfuls with the dog in the sit, gently start to lower your hand slowly and continue to feed for each increment she lowers. If she is keen on the food, she will start to lower herself just to get fed. Once she gets into the drop position, continue feeding and even dropping some food on the ground.

Do this a few times and then once she starts going into position easily, start adding the verbal command.

Kavik's tip about under the legs is also a good one.

L&L here is a tip to try:

If you wish to continue from a sit (I, like Kavik, prefer to teach drop from stand) try this. At meal time, take the food bowl off the ground (fill with yummy food and hold in your hand). With your dog in a sit, begin feeding some food so that she is eagerly eating from your hands. After a few handfuls with the dog in the sit, gently start to lower your hand slowly and continue to feed for each increment she lowers. If she is keen on the food, she will start to lower herself just to get fed. Once she gets into the drop position, continue feeding and even dropping some food on the ground.

Do this a few times and then once she starts going into position easily, start adding the verbal command.

Kavik's tip about under the legs is also a good one.

I dont think this tactic will work as she only gts dinner on "yes" command. She learnt that readily,and will now only take her meal after i say so. She also eats very calmly..she isnt a "scoffer". If i removed her food she would sit and wait for it,not beg to get at it!!!

ATM im using Jerky bits,the little tiny flaky bits. She does like them,but maybe i should try chicken or somethin really yummy for this one???

I will give it another go today and let u all know how she progresses.

How long should i persist in this command (training session time)? Should i mix it up and get her to do all her commands or just focus on this one till she gets it!?

Sounds harsh,but i left her with very minimal dinner lastnight,and have given her nothing yet this morning. Im gna give it a whirl on an empty stomach and see if i get more success??!!

Everyones help is greatly appreciated!! Thanx