Advocate Vs Advantix Vs Drontal

KatLek

alright, i know there are quite a few discussions about advocate, advantix, worming and much more.

i have read through some of them and i am still confused!! :cry:

I have an adult greyhound and an adult whippet. Both had the annual heartworm injection. Both are on Advantix once a month and Drontal once every 3 months.

Advantix :

- Repels and kills paralysis ticks

- Repels and kills brown dog and bush ticks

- Kills fleas, reduces flea allergy dermatitis

- Kills flea larvae

- Repels and kills mozzies and sandfles

- Controls lice

I just adopted a whippet pup. She is about 3 months old. She has NOT had an annual heartworm injection which I will put her on when the other two dogs are due for theirs - to synchronise the timing.

I am looking at putting the pup on Advocate and Drontal.

Advocate :

- Kills fleas and fleas larvae

- Prevents heartworm

- Controls intestinal worms and larvae

- Controls demodectic mange and sarcoptic mange

- Controls ear mites

- Controls lice

Alright, the confusion bits are :

1. I need to put the pup on heartworm treatment (i.e Advocate). But Advocate does not have tick prevention. What should I do?

2. Advocate has intestinal worms control. Should I then still put her on Drontal?

Overall, am I missing anything for any of the 3 dogs?

Sorry for the long post. I am hoping some DOLers can shed some light. :)

Thanks!!

HI there. Advocate is very good but it does not control ALL worms so you should definitely keep up the Drontal as well. Advocate also controls heartworm so ...

If Advantix controls all fleas and ticks and you've never had a problem with demdectic mange, it may be prudent to use the Proheart jab, the Advantix and Drontal

OR

Use Advocate and Drontal and you can forego the Proheart.

Hope this helps :)

Good question Katlek

We have Greyhound and Collies. To make it more complicated - Collies can't use anything with Ivomectin or related drugs in them. (Almost every flea / tick treatment).

We use Advantix Collars for ticks - smell minty fresh which is a nice extra. About $7 for two months protection against ticks.

Great value, doesn't contain Ivomectin in affectable quantities and lasts two months - vs the spot ons which last about two weeks.

We use Revolution for heart worm and flea preventative. It is a spot on and seems to do a good job without smell, mess etc. Is $$$ though.

We then use Drontal for worm protection. Various vets have said it is the best quality all round protective worming treatment.

I would be interested to know what combo others use. Unfortunately the annual injection contains quantities of ivomectin that are dangerous for affected dogs.

Otherwise I would do the shots.

Regards

kall.

Are ticks a big issue where you are?? If so then I would use Advantix and a monthly tablet like Interceptor Spectrum (which does heartworm & gut worms) and also Drontal monthly until she is 6 months old then you will be able to just use the Advantix & Interceptor until she is old enough for the injection.

If ticks aren't a massive issue then I would use the Advocate and Drontal her monthly until she is 6 months old and then just the Advocate until she is old enough for the injection.

Thats just my opinion - hope it helps. :)

Nothing is 100% for ticks, so bear that in mind.

Also the spot-ons like Advantix have to applied every 2 weeks (NOT monthly) to cover for paralysis tick. Expensive.

I've not used a tick collar, but would do so if my dogs were mostly outdoors. Most economical. Don't like the idea of the collar getting on me or the kids skin.

I currently use Advantix (but not fortnightly year round) and Interceptor Spectrum. I also check both dogs regularly for ticks- part of pat/ cuddle times. I just do it automatically now and keep their coats shorter in summer. I have 2 dogs, buy the dose for very large dogs and divide the dose between them with a needle and syringe and split the tablet by weight.

We use Advantix Collars for ticks - smell minty fresh which is a nice extra. About $7 for two months protection against ticks.

Great value, doesn't contain Ivomectin in affectable quantities and lasts two months - vs the spot ons which last about two weeks.

I have never heard of Advantix Collars. I actually have never seen ticks collars that smell nice. I am only familiar with Kiltix collar and Preventic. I have tried Kiltix and it did small really bad and really strong :)

Where do you get your Advantix Collars?

Ooops - my apology - are you completely right. I would have sworn it said Adantic - never mind - yes Virbac, Petcare, Preventic, 2 month Tick Collar for Dogs. (straight off the packet).

I was anti anti anti collars. They tend to exacerbate matting in Collies (my opinion only). I have been pleasantly surprised and the strong minty smell is quite nice. Like they just brushed thier teeth.

I shop at either Pet and vet direct or Priceless Pets. Both VERY cheap compared with bricks and mortar stores.

Kall

Advantix dont make collars, you are possibly referring to Preventic.

We cant use the annual heartworm injections due to sensitivity.

We use Advantix, the spot on treatment for ticks, fleas etc, and then sentinel spectrum for worms which includes heartworm.

I took the post a saying that you are happy with Advantix and Drontal for your adult dogs and not sure what to give the pup until she has her yearly heartworm injection.

If thats the case I would give all 3 dogs the same but also give your pup the monthly or 6 weekly heartworm chews/tablets until you can synchronise the 3 together.

If you do a search about the annual heartworm injection, you'll see some DOLers prefer to avoid it due to potential side effects. From memory, some breeds have a greater than average rate of side effects e.g. ??boxers (don't quote me on that). I prefer to give the monthly tablets. To me, it makes sense that smaller dosage monthly should have less side effects (though who knows?).

Perhaps use the prohart monthly tablets, advantix and drontal for your pup until she is old enough for the yearly injection?

I personally think advantix is great...mostly because of the extra benefit of that it keeps the flies and mozzies off my dogs :eek:

1. I need to put the pup on heartworm treatment (i.e Advocate). But Advocate does not have tick prevention. What should I do?
Nothing for now, you don't live in a tick area, just don't take the little pup into the bush. When the pup is older use the same products that you do on the older dogs.
2. Advocate has intestinal worms control. Should I then still put her on Drontal?
Yes, Drontal will take care of any tapeworm, which Advocate won't cover.

If you do a search about the annual heartworm injection, you'll see some DOLers prefer to avoid it due to potential side effects. From memory, some breeds have a greater than average rate of side effects e.g. ??boxers (don't quote me on that). I prefer to give the monthly tablets. To me, it makes sense that smaller dosage monthly should have less side effects (though who knows?).

i have read some discussion on DOL regarding this.

Both my grey and whippy are on Proheart (recommended by our Vet). We have no problem.

Nothing for now, you don't live in a tick area, just don't take the little pup into the bush. When the pup is older use the same products that you do on the older dogs.
Yes, Drontal will take care of any tapeworm, which Advocate won't cover.

oh good. I was still thinking of finding out if I am living in a tick area. But i do search through them pretty regularly (at least 2 to 3 times a week) for any odd things that are on them.

thanks Greymate!!! :cry:

Ooops - my apology - are you completely right. I would have sworn it said Adantic - never mind - yes Virbac, Petcare, Preventic, 2 month Tick Collar for Dogs. (straight off the packet).

I was anti anti anti collars. They tend to exacerbate matting in Collies (my opinion only). I have been pleasantly surprised and the strong minty smell is quite nice. Like they just brushed thier teeth.

I shop at either Pet and vet direct or Priceless Pets. Both VERY cheap compared with bricks and mortar stores.

Kall

Advantix dont make collars, you are possibly referring to Preventic.

We cant use the annual heartworm injections due to sensitivity.

We use Advantix, the spot on treatment for ticks, fleas etc, and then sentinel spectrum for worms which includes heartworm.

i have read somewhere that greyhounds do not do very well with tick collars. So we have never looked into getting that for any of our dogs.