Toileting Problems

Crysti_Lei

my 4 months old Saint pup pees on the furniture.

last week she discovered she can get up on the couch, and the moment she was up there she pee'd as if it was what you are menat to do in the couch, it was right in front of my, so i scolded her and put her out, where she finished her wee and was praised.

Day before yesterday, i found a big wee on the other couch, the only time i knew she was up there was when i drove down the driveway (when i went out to get lunch) as she watched me from the window as was sitting on the couch to do so.

But tonight was the clincher. She was locked in all day, 8 hours and only one big wee on the kitchen floor (i expected more! so was happy) but since we got home, and yes, she was taken out every 2 hours or so) she did lots of little wee's inside (i know she can hold as she hold all night.) and as my OH was getting into bed, he found that she has wee'd on the bed (earlier this week she worked out she can get up on the bed too!), i have no idea when she would have done this, but i wasn't watching her all night as i had a massive headache and couldn't move. Also, i don't have any other blankets so tonight my OH and i will both be sleeping under my Ninja turtles single blanket and freezing our butts off!

She can hold for many hours, as she does at night. she has that control. so i can only assume this peeing on the couch is a behavioural thing.

Can any one help me??

Also, while i have your attentions on the subject of weeing, how do i teach a dog to 'ask' to go outside for the toilet? The puppy will opt to go outside if she has the option, but with the door closed she wont cry or anything. the pug is a different Story, and a whole other thread, but he wont cry to go out either?

What, short of becoming a dog mind reader, can i do to know when they need to go?? as fly season is coming very quickly and i don't want to have the door open forever,

Thanks

Christie *dreading a cold sleepless night*

Sounds like you need to go back to basic toilet training. Every accident you allow inside is a step backwards. Take her outside to the same area, use a word when she starts to wee and praise and treat her immediately when she goes. It aint over til it's over. Stay out there until she wees. A short walk around the backyard can help get things going. Indoor accidents to be ignored unless you catch her in the act, in which case you take her out immediately.

She won't "ask" to go out until she's made some more headway with toilet training. If she's still regularly weeing inside, it shows she doesn't think it's wrong. When she learns it's wrong to wee inside, she will ask in some way (mine go and stand near the door repeatedly, they trained me :eek: ).

How's your leadership with pup? Could this be about issues other than straight toileting?

You can start "Triangle of Temptation" pinned in the Training/Obedience subforum. Also NILIF- nothing in life's for free.

Both help you set up good leadership with pup. Unless she sees you as a leader, all training will be difficult and/or unsuccessful. No fun with such a large breed.

What's she doing on the lounge without permission? I have a standard poodle and was told to keep him off lounges/ beds as the jumping on-off is hard on growing bones. Once you've made headway with training, have her on the lounge (safely) if that's what you want, but always with permission and she should get off as soon as you ask. Without leadership, having a dog on the lounge is telling them they're equal with you. Bad idea IMO.

Just because she can hold on all night, it doesn't mean she can hold on all day. At night she's asleep and he bladder will go into "night-mode" the same as a human bladder....it will concentrate the output so she can hang on longer. But during the day, she is awake, eating, drinking, playing and moving around so she won't be able to hang on for 8 hours.

Sounds like you need to go back to basic toilet training. Every accident you allow inside is a step backwards. Take her outside to the same area, use a word when she starts to wee and praise and treat her immediately when she goes. It aint over til it's over. Stay out there until she wees. A short walk around the backyard can help get things going. Indoor accidents to be ignored unless you catch her in the act, in which case you take her out immediately.

She won't "ask" to go out until she's made some more headway with toilet training. If she's still regularly weeing inside, it shows she doesn't think it's wrong. When she learns it's wrong to wee inside, she will ask in some way (mine go and stand near the door repeatedly, they trained me :cry: ).

How's your leadership with pup? Could this be about issues other than straight toileting?

You can start "Triangle of Temptation" pinned in the Training/Obedience subforum. Also NILIF- nothing in life's for free.

Both help you set up good leadership with pup. Unless she sees you as a leader, all training will be difficult and/or unsuccessful. No fun with such a large breed.

What's she doing on the lounge without permission? I have a standard poodle and was told to keep him off lounges/ beds as the jumping on-off is hard on growing bones. Once you've made headway with training, have her on the lounge (safely) if that's what you want, but always with permission and she should get off as soon as you ask. Without leadership, having a dog on the lounge is telling them they're equal with you. Bad idea IMO.

Leadership is pretty good, deffinantly do NILIF. i haven't done the TOT with her coz its cold out side and i don't have the space inside LOL

She doesn't jump off the couch, so i havern't been worried about this, she kinda slips off as her body is the same level with the couch, there is no impact on her hips.

Alright, i will set my alarm for every hours today and take her out. thanks a bunch... hmm fun, toilet training basics.

Is she locked inside for 8 hours a day every day? She won't be able to hold it that long. Are you able to have someone come in and let her out to toilet during the day when you are gone for 8 hours?

The part about the 'lots of little wees' would see me taking a sample of her urine to the vet to check for a UTI.

Is she locked inside for 8 hours a day every day? She won't be able to hold it that long. Are you able to have someone come in and let her out to toilet during the day when you are gone for 8 hours?

The part about the 'lots of little wees' would see me taking a sample of her urine to the vet to check for a UTI.

she is rarely home alone. just Sunday as it was Fathers day, we were out doing the father thing and we couldn't let have run inside and out unsupervised as we have just laid new lawn.

Most days she has the door open all day, but in the evening when the it gets cold we shut the back door, and it is then when we start having accidents.

But today, i went back to the every hour thing and there were no accidents inside... from any dog! LOL

so if i can just keep this up i will be able to shampoo my carpets already and it wont be an exercise in futility :D

i was mainly worried that the peeing on the furniture was a behaivoural thing, so i, tonight, started the TOT with her (i found out that she's not the sharpest tool in the shed, "its called a tether, sweetheart, no amount of running in circles will get you closer to the food!") just incase it is a dominance thing.

i was watching today, when i was playing a bit of fetch with all three of them, puppy is very dominant over the Foster dog, Lucy. Whatever lucy had her head in, Puppy (Nauty) muscled her out and took over, i had to hold nauty back in the end so Lucy could have a drink. She is the same with the pug but not nearly as bad, but then Lucy is a very submissive dog.

Most days she has the door open all day, but in the evening when the it gets cold we shut the back door, and it is then when we start having accidents.

Okay, this is the key for me. Your pup hasn't learnt not to go in the house. Your pup has been making the choice to go outside but with the door shut her choice has been taken away. You need to go back to basics, keep the door shut and take her out every hour or so until she gets the idea.

My dogs rarely ask to go outside to the toilet, I take them out every few hours. If they need to go out they get off the couch and stand around looking hang dog. :D

i was mainly worried that the peeing on the furniture was a behaivoural thing, so i, tonight, started the TOT with her (i found out that she's not the sharpest tool in the shed, "its called a tether, sweetheart, no amount of running in circles will get you closer to the food!") just incase it is a dominance thing....

:rofl: Love it!

It's amazing how quickly TOT got my dog to improve his sit, stay. I was up to over a minute of stay (no leash, but rope backup) within a few days. This was with him drool hanging to the ground, too :D. "Good dog"! He also used to whinge when tethered, but is now much better. Great program and easy to do.

My older dog was slow to 100% toilet train and in retrospect I think part of that was a dominance thing.

i do like the TOT, but i gave up with my pug. he is incapable of even the slightest amount of thought when food is about. i tried it for about a month, when there was no improvement, i decided that it was my OHs job to feed him. i was doing it with my foster dog, before the puppy came home, in three nights i had her sitting calmly for nearly a minute looking at me, she's amazing.

Just because she can hold on all night, it doesn't mean she can hold on all day. At night she's asleep and he bladder will go into "night-mode" the same as a human bladder....it will concentrate the output so she can hang on longer. But during the day, she is awake, eating, drinking, playing and moving around so she won't be able to hang on for 8 hours.

I agree fully with this. :cry:

Ahh the joys of toilet training a Saint pup hey Crysti! :thumbsup::wave: Thank DOG Oakley is past that, because (as you would well know!) they don't just do little piddles, that one or two sheets of paper towel will soak up, they pee bloody rivers! ;) :cry: We went through SOOO much paper towel at one stage!

Edited by cassie the bernese lover