Clueless Vets

MyMontage

I actually wouldnt call the vet clueless.I can guarantee 99% of vets dont now many of the breed specific traits as it would be impossible for them too now especially if there not exposed to that breed.

Personally i couldnt care a less if my vet didnt now about OES being able to have multi coloured eyes like sibes aslong as they are super at diagnosing/treating.

Many dog exhibitors wouldnt even know,many are fascinated about chows having blue tongues,Chinese crested having different canines if there powderpuff or hairless

I don't know that I would call it clueless either. My dally had a small blue fleck in her eye at 3 months that now covers half her eye. I imagine that by the time she is old she will have one totally blue eye so dogs eyes can change and if they do you need to make sure it isn't anything sinister.

Oh, I am aware that vets wouldn't know all traits of certain breeds, but if I was a clueless owner, and didn't know that it was normal, it would be like the blind leading the blind! The vet could have thought there was something wrong, when really there isn't.

If it was a sneaky vet, they could have gipped me into getting his eyes tested! - and some owners may fall for that sort of thing.

Guest Robatife BCs

My old vet told me that I should get my boy off Eagle Pack and stop feeding raw meat because raw meat is bad for puppies and Eagle Pack isnt needed "you only need Chum or Pal, theyre all the same"....needless to say, I never went back to that vet! :laugh:

Can you imagine all the things vets have to learn when becoming a vet, all the different species of animals etc, etc. Being a good vet is much harder then being a good GP. GP's only have to deal with the one species. :thumbsup:

It is best to see a specailist vet in your area of chosen animal.

Guest Robatife BCs
Hold on, it IS bad for puppies to have too much raw meat, isn't it?

Not at all Eileen, I know many people who bring puppies up on raw diets. By the way, I wouldnt want my dog being treated by a vet that actually RECOMMENDED Chum!

I work in a vet surgery, and we're always more than happy for people who are experienced in different breeds to give us more information on their particular breed. To my way of thinking, the definition of clueless is a vet who doesn't take into account a breeder's experience. Aren't we all on the same side, working towards better health for the dogs? Having said that, I will say I've heard some really really tall tales from breeders :thumbsup:

Audrey

I actually wouldnt call the vet clueless.I can guarantee 99% of vets dont now many of the breed specific traits as it would be impossible for them too now especially if there not exposed to that breed.

Personally i couldnt care a less if my vet didnt now about OES being able to have multi coloured eyes like sibes aslong as they are super at diagnosing/treating.

Many dog exhibitors wouldnt even know,many are fascinated about chows having blue tongues,Chinese crested having different canines if there powderpuff or hairless

Most vets I've dealt with have been great (although I'm still looking for just the right one). I own a Dogue de bordeaux and alot of vets and their assistants havent had much to do with the breed and are happy to learn more about them.

But last week we took our boy to get a suspected cherry eye checked. The vet we saw didn't want to touch him to examine him, just looked and said I'll get you a quote for the opp. The descrition he gave us of cherry eye was nothing like the ones we've gotten off other breeders/vets and the quote was much hire than expected for this opp.

I've learnt from this that vets are like doctors, some are going to be great some just want to get you in and out as quickly as possible. If in doubt always get a second opinion.

There is an old adage.........The top 10% of a graduating vet class goes on to being the best scientific reseachers and never go into practice.

The next 20% go on to being the best practising vets.

And the rest of the 70% go on to make the most money. ;)

I took my OES to the vet the other day for his annual check up and the vet asked me "have his eyes always been like that" as in one blue and one brown!

I wasn't very impressed! Shouldn't vets know things like that are NORMAL!

Sheesh!

the only reason I can think of is that he may have thought the blue one was a cataract or abnormality, I guess he was thinking of checking her sight from the point of view that they may have changed recently and if so he needed to find out why, or were they naturally alway different?

If you think your vet is clueless, find another. I trust my vet probably as much if not more than I trust my own doctor. She's bloody knowledgeable and continues to update her skills.

Spare a thought for all the vets who have to deal with clueless owners. :rolleyes:

Yeah his eyes have always been the same as OES like some other breeds can have wall eye (or two blue, or two brown, or in Charlies case one of each....wall eye). It looks much different to that of a dog with a cateract.

I have never once seen the same vet at the one surgery that I go to....thank goodness....he is not sick very often!

post-11412-1190967440_thumb.jpg

I took my OES to the vet the other day for his annual check up and the vet asked me "have his eyes always been like that" as in one blue and one brown!

I wasn't very impressed! Shouldn't vets know things like that are NORMAL!

Sheesh!

:happydance2: :shakehead:

BTW How is lil Charlie? :thumbsup:

Edited by codygirl

He's Fantastic Codygirl...thanks for asking. He was in the Perth Royal today...had a ball!

He loved all the attention he got.... I was quite amazed at how many people asked if he could actually see, or where his eyes were!......They are only under the hair!!!