How To Hand Raise Puppies

rottyluva

:eek:

hi i am current hand raiseing 7 rotty pups as mum didnt have enough milk.

they are now 8 days old and thriveing,

i have them on a puppy replacement milk and i have a prob with some getting constipated and some have diorea.

ive hand raised 11 before so i do no wat im doing.

its just i always thought hand raised pups are smaller in the long run.

is this true?

and does any one no the usall weight of pups at different ages.

mum is a natural born bobtail and she had 3 with no tails.

its it sometimes normal for bobtails to have a curl in there coat?

coz i read that on a breeders website just wondering

post-20942-1191274765_thumb.jpg

Yep, your vet is the one you need to speak with - they are the ones who can see the pups, advise you best and monitor their progress.

I'm guessing the parents have not had their hips and elbows x-rayed and scored? How about their eyes? Are they certified free from entropian and ectropian?

i have them on a puppy replacement milk and i have a prob with some getting constipated and some have diorea.

You need to follow the forumla directions exactly. Constipated or diarrhoea usually means that the formula you are using is either made up too strong or unsuitable. What are you using? Divetalac can cause more issues (personal experience) than Biolac.

Runny poos are also often a sign of stress. The more they scour, the more likely they are to dehydrate and drop off.

its just i always thought hand raised pups are smaller in the long run.

is this true?

No it isn't. Fed properly and appropriately, they will grow to what their genetic limitations tell them to.

You will need to see your vet, as some of the puppies may require fluid injections, they may also need to rest their stomachs for 24 hour and be put on vytrate or something similar.

Has the bitch been fed correctly ? what type of diet is she on ? most bitches can provide adequately for their pups, but close attention mist be paid to the nutritional requirements of the bitch.

Go and see your vet, a sudden change in formula could make them all ill.

Yet another 7 BYB Rotts, another 7 nails in the BSL coffin for the Rottweiler. :rofl:

You people make me sick, it is all about money. You do not even think what you are doing is so wrong and puts the ethical breeders and owners at risk of losing this wonderful breed.

I think your price is disgusting, I do not charge much more than you are and all of my dogs are health certified and temperament tested.

Bobtails can often have spine deformaties. Get these pups checked by a vet. If you can spare the money, vets are expensive and you just might not make enough in the end.

Angry, I am pissed,.

Can't offer you much help Warley - I have never had a bobtail and have not seen one in person (apart from one pup I barely remember when I was a toddler). Although the gene does exist, they are not as common as many people seem to believe.

My understanding from the few photos I have seen is that yes, tail length can vary considerably.

My father had a few bobtails back in the 70's, and no spine x-rays were taken back then. The line that was producing bobtails for him had other health issues and temperament issues though, so he discontinued using stock from those lines.

I've not heard of anyone having bobtails and x-raying spines. Mind you, it's damn rare that I hear of anyone even having bobtails - so not surprising I wouldn't hear of spinal x-raying :rofl:

Take the puppies to the vet for a checkup and to get their feeding right, it will give them the best chance of survival

As other Rottie people have stated the Bob tail gene is not a good one

A friend of a friend breed her Rotties without doing any health testing as you have done, she thought that there was no need for health testing of what looked like 2 healthy dogs. The father of the pups was a bob tail the mother docked (before tail docking was banned)

Well it turned out a large litter with 5 bob tails, seeing as tail docking was banned everyone wanted the bob tailed pups.

Well 2 years later only one of those pups is still alive, all 5 have problems with their spine and have had to be put to sleep

The only boy that is left is with a very nice owner who has spent thousands on his vet treatment trying to keep him alive, he spends his life in a doggy chair on wheels so that he can get around

One of the female bob tails was put to sleep for attacking and killing another dog, it was only discovered after she died that she had a deformed spine and she attacked after the other dog after he jumped on her to play

This friend of a friend has also been sued by 3 of the people that brought the puppies for compensation, last I heard they won, not sure how much they got but she did have to sell her car?

I would recommend that you desex your female and not let her have any more puppies, the bob tail is not a good thing

Please remember DOL that this is a chance to educate, some people have no idea about the correct way to breed dogs

Sorry to hijack, but just curious- what is it about the Rotti bobtail gene that is different to other bobtail breeds? Or do other breeds with bobtail genes have spinal problems but we just don't hear about it?

Always wondered about the issues that could arise through breeding bobtails as there are issues in the Manx cats as well as Manx mice and rats.

Bobtails are born without any tail at all. Some are born without anus' and some are born with a form of spina bifida. It is not a good gene, yes there are some that come through okay. But as much as I would like to have used these dogs in the past and promote the bobtail, there are just too many health and temperament issues that go with it. The ones that are born with a short tail are not bobtails. There was a dog many years ago bred by Heatherglen that was a true bobtail. He did go on to become an Aust Ch but did not live past 5. He went in the lower back and had to be put to sleep.

So now that tail docking is banned, I would rather have a tail than health and mental issues. Prefer to still dock though.

Please remember DOL that this is a chance to educate, some people have no idea about the correct way to breed dogs

You got that bit right.

They were given the appropriate advice for the litter and that was take them to the vet.

Spike: I know of several Frenchie breeders who began to xray their dogs and bitches. This was more of a case of just seeing what is there and making sure that everything was ok. This was especially done in those with no tail at all, as can happen.

I also believe that there have been some Tentie breeders who have done the same.

Are you taking the litter to a vet?

There is a big chance your puppies will start to die if their feeding, bowel movements are not correct

Please see your vet about getting the puppies desexed before rehoming too

There are alot of dumped Rotties in Australia, it would be horrible to hand raise a litter of pups to then find out some had been dumped in pounds or breed over and over again to make someone money

ETA. Warley, breeding is all for you :rofl: too hard for me, I just save them and desex them :rofl:

Edited by peibe