Be Proud, Dolers ......

By rights this really should go in the "Off Topic" forum, but not everyone will be able to see it unless they have accumulated 50+ posts and anyway, it is a reflection of the great discussions which are possible, curteousy of the DOL admin and mods of of the people who sanely enter into discussions about training and different training methods - even if the method discussed isn't what each person bears preference towards.

Some lovely words by the mod on another dog chat site that I thought you should all like to read. I think that the congratulations first goes to all those who provide DOL for us to use. But this is not to forget that the participants within those threads have a great part to play and are also reason for DOL carrying the great reputation that it does.

So, all in all, its a :eek: to everyone here on DOL for the role they play in making DOL what it is.

We have no UK site like the the Oz site which Erni is from, its mixed training methods, moderation is excellent, here you must positive methods or face getting posts blocked or banned, except dogchat, if we had sites like the Australian site here UK dogs would benefit enormously, this is the link below and in my years of fighting the radical extremists here this was the worlds best site with seriously damned good trainers of ALL kinds and I really appreciate Erny and all her mates from Oz to this site anytime, they're really great guys and I cant speak highly enough of them and their home site.

The words come from Denis McCarthy who now runs his own UK based chat site for the purpose of talking about e-collars. Denis has been banned from numerous other sites over there - not for any reason other than he dared to discuss this particular training tool.

I think it would be sad if the mods and people in general here in Oz rejected discussion about anything other than in favour of their own bias'. It would become a very narrow field of discussion, not to mention view on training, if that were to occur. So thanks to all those here who are willing to entertain a broad-mind and to discuss sanely and with good reasoning and balance, the multitude of views pertaining to the field of dogs and dog training.

And of course, such diverse and balanced discussion is only made possible by the leniency and open-mindedness granted by the DOL admin and mods. So a big thanks there. :wave:

:)

Erny that is wonderful feedback :eek:

I was on Victoria Stilwell's (UK trainer from It's me or the dog) training forum last week and was flabbergasted at the mods on her site and how they shot down any mention of negative training methods or tools.... i.e. saying check chains are nasty, horrible, cruel and negative but recommending haltis. It seems there is no room for alternative methods it is their way or the high way!

So congrats to the trainers on DOL :wave:

Wow,

Thats really lovely of Denis to give DOL such a good wrap, and lovely of you too Erny to pass it on.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the mods on DOL for providing us with this forum. If it weren't for me stumbling across this site, my dog and I would be in a very different place right now. I've had the honour of meeting and discussing issues with some superb trainers and my life has taken a whole new path that I'm enjoying immensly.

I'm so looking forward to learning more....so bring it on! :thumbsup:

That IS nice to read:)

Thank you Erny for letting us see it, and ,obviously , for being a good 'ambassador' :thumbsup:

It IS an excellent place to discuss all things dog!!!!

And of course, such diverse and balanced discussion is only made possible by the leniency and open-mindedness granted by the DOL admin and mods. So a big thanks there.

:thumbsup:

The words come from Denis McCarthy who now runs his own UK based chat site for the purpose of talking about e-collars. Denis has been banned from numerous other sites over there - not for any reason other than he dared to discuss this particular training tool.

Thats really sad :rolleyes:.

What a great rap for DOL though. Sure - we don't all agree all the time - but IMO discussing and debating different methods of training is a great way to learn more, question why you train a certain way and also learn from others.... 'expanding' the toolbox as many say.

Not to mention - you may train a particular way, but I think you are being pretty blind if you don't learn about the other methods of training also - whether you decide to use it or not.

Yay DOL :)

I think it's important to keep views out in the open...always up for discussion & critique.

I can't see the point in banning a certain issue, no matter what thoughts are about it.

I know little or nothing about e-collars.....which means I've only ever been in circumstances that have needed nothing more than the positive approaches to training which I already know & use.

But I'm interested to read the experiences of others who found themselves in different circumstances ( like what Rom said up above).

Edited by mita