Kong's

Hey all

I'm just wanting to know if Kong's are actually worth buying? If so, is there anywhere that you can get them cheaper then the vet's? ebay is kind of around the same price as the vet's i've seen. I would need to buy Large/X-Large one's.

Also, I see on ebay that there are different shaped ones, are these any good? :happydance2:

Hey Emzy,

They are great... I just have to work out what to put in mine that the dog can't get out in a matter of minutes but it isn't too hard - he gets bored quickly but loves it for a while :happydance2:

Cheapest place is Big W or Kmart - I think they are under $20 (that was for a large puppy one)

Haven't tried out the different shapes though...

Yes definitely Big W or Kmart are the cheapest I have found

My Beagles love them but also have been able to destroy them easily. They can be expensive to replace if you have a dog who loves their food as much as they love to play!

The original "Kongs" are indestructable :happydance2:

I have a round/ball shaped one which is great to play fetch with, and also put food in, and the funny pear shaped one.

They are quite expensive, but its worthwhile in the long run when you think about how many toys/balls you will need to replace.

I often put meat frozen in ice cubes or something in mine, and a big smear of peanut butter or livamol has them licking for ages.

I agree all of my dogs have had kongs - and love them.

I get mine from PetStock or Big W and tend to stuff them with a little bit of natural yogurt and some bits of biscuit for Louie, but he is a bit dumb and I still need to shake it down for him!

Make sure you get the right size.

Louie also has the kong treat ball - he has not played with it yet as I accidently bought an adult and not puppy one

Kongs are great. Sucks that they're expensive, but its worth it when they're indestructable :mad One of the few toys you can give a Staffy or similar..

Make sure you get the right one too. The red ones are normal kongs, pretty indestructable and are meant for most dogs. The black ones are more expensive and are meant for real chewers like Staffies. Then you've got Kongs like the water kongs which float in water, but wont stand up to -too- much chewing :rofl:

My staffy loves his - a nice big black one. He has had it for three years - we dont use it with treats, but as a fetch toy and he can't get enough of it!

I would highly recommend one - they are definately worth the money!

I'll have to be the dissenting voice here.

My dog is pretty luke-warm about his kong. I've stuffed it with all sorts of different things, but he's just not that into it. He'll chew on it if you stuff it with something nice, but not with much tenacity. He much prefers to chew on marrow bones or pigs trotters, or even sticks of wood if I leave them in the yard.

In the end I let a friend borrow the kong for his dog, and apparently she wasn't terribly interested in it either. So I won't be replacing it. :rofl:

My dogs were not really ever interested in the kong as the stuffed toy to play with while Im out, but I do use one as a reward in training.

I have two kongs (one 7 year old and one about 4-5 year old) the 7yo still in tact but the rubber is starting to crack, no wonder - it was out in the sun often. The 5yo - use it all the time in training. Its harder than it orignially was but still VERY good. Both have deep teeth marks of course.

I had to, of course, replace the strings they were on as the dogs on occasion would pull it off the string.

I also own two orbee balls. They are nicer looking things, smelled good at first. After about one year they are still as soft as they were orginally but the decorations on them peels off and one got ripped when the dog pulled on it. Dogs still like them and they are still useable, but one will go in no time as it will rip apart at the next pull.

So all in all - in my experience kongs are more durable.

ETA - I have also used the normal rubber balls, from Kmart, the $5 type things. They didnt last at all, and rubber cracked after about a year. And they had a yucky smell to them.

Dogs still like to chase them anyway

Edited by myszka

K9: Orbo's & Orbee balls are used for two different purposes. Orbee balls are a training / play tool.

Orbos are a tool to keep the dog interested.

The ball that will last the longest is a canon ball. Made from steel, will last forever. The dogs teeth will not...

Harder the ball, harder on the teeth, softer the ball, softer on the teeth.

My two love their kongs! I buy the black ones - the red ones have been wrecked. I add water to some of their dry food and when it's soft, mix it with some yoghurt or vegemite and then stuff it in and freeze them overnight - keeps them going much longer that way!