How Do I Get Puppy To Sit And Wait For Food

chloebear

Holly is 4 months old and I am trying to teach her to sit and wait till instructed to eat, but she is into the bowl before it hits the ground. When feeding her I tell her to sit, but as I put the bowl down she is already eating. I am not sure of how to deal with this as she is a rescue dog, that had been very badly treated. When we got her she was underweight/straving and gulped her dinner in what seemed like less than a second. She takes longer to eat now but I can't get her to sit and wait.

;) She has worked out that I have a big soft spot for her and yes she is taking control of me. But I am worried that if I push her to far, the progress that we have made with her will be undone.

Does she know sit and wait any other time? Sorry, but you don't say if she's knows how to do this without the distraction of her meal. I would teach her to sit and wait for a tit bit first before even attempting to make her wait for her food.

Could you put the bowl down then let her into the room (on a lead) so you're not trying to balance the bowl and control her too?

Tell her sit, then as you start to bend to put the bowl down watch her and the second she moves, stand up straight again and tell her sit, this way you're getting in before she has a chance to get her face in the bowl and self-reward. This may well mean it takes some time for her to get her food LOL

Yes, you are expecting too much of her too soon ;) . She is only 4 months so would have the attention span of a gnat ;)

Teach her to sit and have her obeying at all times before introducing the distration of her food and then do so at a distance with her obeying the 'sit' command before slowly decreasing the distance between her and the food. Her desire to eat far outweighs her desire to sit or obey you :(

All of her training should be done progressively, in small increments of success, and if she 'fails' at some point go back to where she was succeeding and try again. Good luck ;)

She knows sit, but I haven't taught her wait and to be honest I am not sure of how to teach her this command

Sit and wait should be part of the same command ie when she is commanded to 'sit' she should stay there until given another command. Teach her this by rewarding her after she sits and does stay in the same postion. Start off by rewarding miniscule 'stays' and then progreesively increase the time between the sit and the next command, which might be something like 'Free' if you want to release her from the previous command.

Cody is 12 weeks old and I've taught him to sit and look at me and wait for me to say 'yes' before he eats, he gets excited but all I did was first put his bowl on the floor, then say 'sit' and if he goes to run at his bowl I just said 'no' and got him to sit again, with a light touch on his bum with the command 'sit' and I hold my hand like I had something in it and said 'look' as I brought my hand up to my eyes and as soon as he looked at me (the exact moment) I said 'yes' and he is allowed to eat, now when I put his dinner bowl down he walks to me and sits ready and looks before I use my hand, so now I just say 'yes' and thats his command to eat....he is so smart ;) I hope this may help you.

Blitz is 5 mnths old, we got him to sit first with the bowl still in hand, then when he mastered that which didnt take long, we got him to stay with still holding the bowel up infront of his face, if he moved he would be placed straight back into the sitting position and the process repeated again.

Now we get him to stay with the bowl of food on the ground, the stay command is with our palm out towards his face, as soon as we put our hand down and say good boy, he is permitted to eat.

We havent completely mastered this as he does sometimes rush during the stay command for his bowl, but we again repeat the process until he is permitted to eat..

My suggestion is just take it slowely and start small then eventually add in the stay command..

Good luck,

break it down

dont expect anything yet

hold the bowl and give it to her quickly before she breaks out of the sit

its important she is successful so make it shorter

if she is sitting still then thats good enough

try a leash so that u have some control..mind u ..dogs do tend to pull when they feel tension so see how u go

try holding the bowl longer and longer before putting it down and make her watch u not the food

some do love their food more than others and its terribly hard for them

keep at it! she will get the message

one of my dogs has only learned a trick ...it took him months...the new pup learnt it oh so quickly ..so theyre all different...just laugh and dont give up!

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=64101

The above link is the answer to you problems. :D

I like Triangle of Temptation, too :) .

Takes < 5 minutes to build this in to feeding your dog.

I've been really impressed with the results.

I really like how it takes nothing away from the dog- teaches in a positive way :laugh:

Consistency is really important for your dog. Even more so if a rescue- will give them security.

Some people think training your dog and being a good leader is somehow a bit mean-spirited.

The dog doesn't see it this way, though. Pups need a leader- you. Otherwise they take the stressful role of leader on for themselves and this is often the start of friction and difficulties with your dog, rather than a happy relationship. Rescues need strong leadership and consistency so they feel safe and come to know what's expected all the time in their new home.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Tell her sit, then as you start to bend to put the bowl down watch her and the second she moves, stand up straight again and tell her sit, this way you're getting in before she has a chance to get her face in the bowl and self-reward. This may well mean it takes some time for her to get her food LOL

This is how i taught my dog and within a week he was waiting for permission to eat. Now he just "talks" to his food and i don't know how im going to quash that.

We taught the sit command first (using smackos as treats) and then applied it to them at dinner time.

Any time they broke the sit command the food would retreat. Although we weren't fussed weither they waited for our permission to eat as long as they stopped knocking food everywhere :rofl:

My wife's families dogs are 4 years old, never trained but over the years they just learnt that they wouldn't get to eat until the food was on the ground. Although Piper (female Cocker) spins in circles sometimes :)

Mark.