Coloured Shampoos And Whitening Powders

You guys have been such a great help with the hydrobath question I thought I would pose another!

From reading the posts it sounds like the whitening shampoo works - does anyone use the others eg. black & bronze? And are they just as good. I need to buy my first stocks of shampoo and was wondering if I should buy this type of shampoo or just stick to a Fido's Hydrobath type shampoo.

Also does the chalk or whitening powder really bring up the white? I was wondering about using it when I send home the white dogs from the boarding kennels after hydrobathing them just to give that extra edge and make them look really smart?

As always your help is appreciated.

I use powder occasionally on my showdogs & its washed out asap .I wouldnt apply to a boarder that may not be bathed agin in quite awhile.

I also use white shampoos on the showdogs but thses normally have to be left on for set period to work well & even if a dog is real dirty it can take a few good scrubs to get the full results.

For the boarders we simply use a very mild wash .For grooming its the same plus a good flea/tick wash.

The coloured shampoos can be harsh on coats & not all suit each coat,in the whites it can send a dog blue if diluation rate isnt correct.

What showdog said - I would not use coloured shampoos on boarders as they can upset the skin - I only ever used them (black, bronze and white) on my showdogs during their show careers - switched to aloveen as soon as they were clipped off. Dyes and chemicals are used to achieve these colours - oh and by the way - just because something is "natural" does not mean it is not harsh or toxic. Eg tea-tree oil can be toxic for dogs.

When I had my Belgian Groenendeals I used the black on black shampoo. It worked great for getting rid of the ugly redness which comes from the baby fur. Obviously for these dogs, being completely black, there was no harm in using the shampoo as there were no other colours or dillution of colour to worry about.

Thanks for that - I have a distributor in Adelaide so don't think I will be buying product from Qld, although the Petway stuff looks good and they have sample packs so I could try before I buy. Freight to us is a bit of a killer so I need to stay as local as possible. Thanks for filling me in about the coloured shampoos and powders I will steer clear of them and just use something mild. I have read about Sard Soap in a few other posts so I suppose if I have some white I could always use that to bring them up nice.

Thanks again - I'm sure I shall think of something else shortly to ask.

Please don't use Sard Soap! Owners could have applied top spots and you will be stripping that out of them, endangering a dogs life if they come from a tick area.

The whitening shampoos do really work. I use Champion Tails, available from Horse Supplies. Ive never had a problem with a dog going blue/purple and I pour that stuff straight on. as said above, it can be a little drying so use a good quality conditioner afterwards. I try to just use the Champion Tails on the slightly off coloured parts and then regular shampoo everywhere else. :)

I have been having a look at both Plush Puppy shampoos/conditioner and also Groomers Edge from Clipperworld. The Plush Puppy looks quite expensive compared to others - ishka do u just use Plush Puppy on your own dogs or in a salon setting?

Can other salon groomers suggest a cost effective range? I would love to use the Plush Puppy because it is enviro friend, not tested on animals etc... but not sure how economical it would be to wash kennel dogs before sending them home.

recently I was at a dogshow and there were some borders there and I nearly had to put my sunnies on as they were so white and sparkly, I asked the breeder what she used and she said she has always used dazzledog (not sure of the spelling)

Please don't use Sard Soap! Owners could have applied top spots and you will be stripping that out of them, endangering a dogs life if they come from a tick area.

The whitening shampoos do really work. I use Champion Tails, available from Horse Supplies. Ive never had a problem with a dog going blue/purple and I pour that stuff straight on. as said above, it can be a little drying so use a good quality conditioner afterwards. I try to just use the Champion Tails on the slightly off coloured parts and then regular shampoo everywhere else. :)

Thanks for that Dru - i assume top spots are flea & tick treatments like Advantix etc.. I am in western SA so the locals don't have any probles with ticks but I will certainly ask travellers if they are using any treatments before I go using Sard.

We have always had great success with getting whites white with Champion tails (purple shampoo)

it is cost effective we only use a little diluted with water in dispenser to clean the whites on our Akita's.

It is great for coloured coats as well.

Hope this helps.

Malisa

post-4863-1194094250_thumb.jpg

Aust Ch Lanzeon Mishka

2 yrs 8 mths