Ahh!

Kowai

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! If we had have travelled any further than Werribee this morning I might have been tempted to throw Gambit out of the car on the way home, just kidding.

Gambit was in Eric Booth's CCD class,1st in the ring and worked on my right hand side the whole time. He wouldn't drop, stand, watch me etc. I'm at the end of my tether.

He works so well when not in an actual Trial situation. I've been told to relax, be firm, play with him during training, make it fun, train only for short bursts, reward, reward, reward, I do, I do, I do.

I pulled him out after the heeling part of the exercise. No recall, stand for exam, sits or downs. I was so upset.

He had fun playing with him Mum (Kaasha Double or Nothing) and Roy (human being) his bestest mate, a couple of paddles in the dog pool at Werribee, did a poop and piddle and then it was time to go into the ring. I talked to him, teased him with his tug toy and I thought he was ready.

I know that other people have been in the same situation with their dogs and I would love to know how you went about getting the dog over the scardycat hurdle.

How come he can show off when not in a trial situation and do the exercises perfectly with a bounce in his step and then become a different dog completely?

Oh well, back to the drawing board, I have entered him in the Cup Day Obed Trial, and I had seriously thought about pulling him out of that but I'd pay the entry fee and it should be a good trial so I'll give it one more try.

post-6277-1193454262_thumb.jpg

Hi Gamby

Does he work better off lead, rather than on? Sometimes the lead can mean pay less attention like on a walk. Maybe give him a try straight in Novice?

No matter how well they are trained, occasionally they act like someone elses dog.

I was suprised last time at dog club, Oscar worked awfully, during our club comp (of course!) He had not put a foot wrong in the lead up.

We got a pass in the morning and highest scoring Werribee member in Novice but bombed out in the afternoon. It was pretty hot in the afternoon though :rofl:

I find with Cooper, not to spend a whole heap of time with him prior to entering the ring. That way he is more keen to be with me and works a bit better. He is crated until 2 dogs prior then I'll take him for a quick wee, and bit of focus, then in the ring.

Also, no matter how you train, you are different in the ring. Nerves take over and you're more "serious" which the dog can pick up on. In training we often talk a lot to our dogs, and are able to correct them when in the wrong position. The dogs definately pick up on your change, even if very slight, and this will make them behave in a different manner.

I try and do heaps of ring training with Cooper and limit my corrections whilst ring training. The things I need to work on I tend to do them either at home, or somewhere else as a seperate training session, not combined with ring practise.

That way he knows what the ring is about, and is more used to the serious side and not being spoken to whilst in the ring.

In between excersises though, I make it a big deal and big plays and praise so there is still that element of fun to being in the ring.

Wylie, I'm know Yildiz did well with quite a few awards, but not sure about what passes etc were gained and with which dogs.

Edited by BC

Hey Dogdude you might have hit the nail on the head. :rofl:

Yes he does like to work off lead and what you say about a "Lead means Walk" could be the answer

Thanks

Hi Gamby

Does he work better off lead, rather than on? Sometimes the lead can mean pay less attention like on a walk. Maybe give him a try straight in Novice?

No matter how well they are trained, occasionally they act like someone elses dog.

I was suprised last time at dog club, Oscar worked awfully, during our club comp (of course!) He had not put a foot wrong in the lead up.

Kowai, how did you go?

BC, well done!

Gamby, better luck next time!

Welllll we kind of went badly! :rofl: It was SO HOT out there on the grounds! I've always had trouble with Zach being a little slow in the heeling work but yesterday he hardly wanted to move at all! We started out okay but then ended up with him heeling right back behind me! The figure of eight was horrible because of it! :love: When I would come to a stop he wouldn't sit and he failed to sit on the recall.. Otherwise he did a perfect stand for examination.. except a horrible heel up to it, and his recall was good apart from not sitting..

Normally with his stays Zach is rock solid! He did a great sit stay... But then with the drop stay I was nervous he'd roll over into dead dog because of the heat.. He normally loves to sunbake :rofl: Well I think we were halfway through the drop stay when.. yep.. there he goes and rolls over into dead dog for a few seconds. Do you think that'd be enough? Nope.. Zach also -loves- to roll in the grass on nice hot days and yep away he goes, rolling around right next to the poor dog next to him! Then he jumps up and goes sniffing around between two dogs doing their drops!! :):):love: Like I said he almost -NEVER- breaks his stays and if he does he always just comes back to me, never distrupts the other dogs!

So I decided to scratch for the afternoon.. Zach just wont work in the heat it seems :laugh: I guess I made the mistake of practicing before hand.. He worked great then, but then let it all go in the trial!

Kowai & Shoemonster

I do feel for you Kowai.

I remember seeing Zak on the day. I passed you both as I was returning to camp to get the poo bag.

Who was your judge?

But, Hey!, congraulations for taking the first step into Obedience training.

Thanks for the offer of luck Shoemonster.

Normally with his stays Zach is rock solid! He did a great sit stay... But then with the drop stay I was nervous he'd roll over into dead dog because of the heat.. He normally loves to sunbake :love: Well I think we were halfway through the drop stay when.. yep.. there he goes and rolls over into dead dog for a few seconds. Do you think that'd be enough? Nope.. Zach also -loves- to roll in the grass on nice hot days and yep away he goes, rolling around right next to the poor dog next to him! Then he jumps up and goes sniffing around between two dogs doing their drops!! :love::):) Like I said he almost -NEVER- breaks his stays and if he does he always just comes back to me, never distrupts the other dogs!

At least it sounds like Zach had fun :rofl: . It was very hot yesterday so it seems to me Zach maybe had the right idea. I hope he does better for you next time though.

Kowai

My Staff works about 80% better on a cold day, and the first chance I get, I am gonna start experimenting.

The still warm days put Oscar to sleep, so I am going to try giving him a quick cold shower with a watering can or something, say, 5 minutes before working him and see if that changes his energy level. Hopefully it will send him nutso like after a bath.

The heat seems to extinguish his food drive no matter how hungry he is. It is frustrating to see almost two completely different dogs according to weather movements! Bloody Staffords!!!

:Congrats to everyone that done well at Werribee.

Badluck Kowai and Gamby :laugh:

Well done BC!

Gamby - I too found that the lead Leo switched right off. Gave him the perfect opportunity to gawk around as he would always get a 'tug' eventually (lead reaches it's length etc) when he had to continue to follow. You can see it in the tapes - perfect attention - then he goes off to space, only to come back again :laugh:

Once I hit Novice - this disappeared as he much preferred heeling off lead :laugh: :laugh:

He'll get there eventually!

Don't worry about bumming out guys. My mum was at the werribee trial also. She got a pass, 1st in her ring and highest scoring Werribee member is CCD. In the afternoon she totally bummed out and got a NQ on the recall. I think everyone, dogs and people were feeling the heat there on Saturday. Good luck to all at their next trial!!!!!