High 5/shake Hands

B-Q

okay, so after about a week and a half I taught Harry to lie down a while back, but I've been trying for weeks to get him to learn high 5 or shakehands.

I don't like the idea so much of grabbing his paw as I think he would be focussing more on what I am doing not what he should be doing, I've tried touching the back of his ankle to tickle it up but as soon as my hand goes towards the ground he just flops down, he has no concept that sit means just sit there, just stay.

Any idea on how to get him to offer his paw?

Hold a really good treat in your closed fist. Hold your fist out in front of him and let him sniff at it. After a little while most dogs will paw at your hand as they try to work out how to get the treat. When he paws at your hand, immediately open your hand and reward him with the treat. When he is reliably pawing at your hand, hold a treat in the other hand and offer him an empty fist, which he will hopefully still paw at. Reward him from the opposite hand - this will get him used to understanding that the treat doesn't have to be present in the hand offered for him to still get it. Then, finally, offer an open palm and see if he will paw at that.

Hope that makes some sense.

Use a clicker!!!!!

Some dogs get it faster then others. My female had it worked out in less then 10 minutes my boy took a lot longer and even now he sort of has the high five but no idea about shake.

Some dogs just dont get it, Dante can shake she just learnt it, Ty on the other hand just doesnt get it, he knows most tricks but hand shake is not for him

Thanks, will start more work tomorow. lol He defientley knows clickers means treat. I can click it once at the other end of the house and he'll come bolting, its ot a recall tool really he just figured out click=food and comes whenever he hears it, he has a good memory, I've got him listeing a lot better in the last week by consistnetly treating him, now starting to cut it out, he's doing well.

Buster just "got" shake hands, Harry doesn't have much of a clue, thing is he's really dextrous so once he catches on it shoudl be easy enough.

Thanks, will start more work tomorow. lol He defientley knows clickers means treat. I can click it once at the other end of the house and he'll come bolting, its ot a recall tool really he just figured out click=food and comes whenever he hears it, he has a good memory, I've got him listeing a lot better in the last week by consistnetly treating him, now starting to cut it out, he's doing well.

Buster just "got" shake hands, Harry doesn't have much of a clue, thing is he's really dextrous so once he catches on it shoudl be easy enough.

He can do it, took a few minutes of him strating to drool all over my hand because he could smell it till he eventually just raised his hand at it, treated that, the next time I waited till he touched it then opened my hand.

A couple of minutes later I stopped giving him the treat in my closed hand but gave him a spare, then I offered him an empty closed hand then eventually an empty open palm and the cue word.

lol he's a smart boy, he got it in 10 minutes.

CrashTest, Your not know a lot of tricks. I need something else I can teach him, he's AC/BC, very very bright but not hugley athletic really. Any more trick ideas?

Actually I'm also having troubl;e with Busters "rollover" and "spin" over the last 3-4 years I've been practicing on/off. Usually I give up after a few months because he just doesn't get it. He I used a treat to lure him but the thing is I think he focuses so much on the treat he doesn't relise what action he's taking so it doesn't click in his head.

Any other methods of teaching the sae trick?

Check out the relevant trick threads, and put your questions there, you might get some answers. Tia was hard to teach roll over using food she seemed to get a little bit anxious. So what I did as soon as she did she got a tummy rub. Now she offers rollover for a tummy rub, spin is quite easy you can use food or targetting method. Check out my web page as well http://www.dogtrick.741.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought my dog while making her sit in front of me with a treat in my hand saying "Thank you" and slowly pushing her paw up with my hand from behind her paw. As soon as she lifted it up I repeated the command and gave her the treat. She learnt it pretty quickly but originally I thought her to lift her right paw, but obviously my dog is left-handed then she never lifted the right paw only the left!

• 2 months later...

i taught my dog with her soccer ball. i had her sitting in front of me and just started scratching her chest where she likes it, as soon as she lifted her paw i grabed it and gave the command then threw the ball. it only took about 5 minutes, but now she shakes for everything. :laugh:

I taught high five to both paps...unfortunately I have gone wrong somewhere. They do high fives on command, but also when ever they want something, they will come up and just start slapping your leg etc :laugh: I ignore the behaviour, but they still just keep on doing it SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP..they seem to think that the high five action is what they have to do to get *whatever*

:D

Edited by kymbo

lol, I will have to try the treat in my hand thing, I have been trying to Teach Leck to shake since I got her(its always been the first thing I teach after "sit" and "stay") but leck just doesnt get it, its like it takes all her concentration to sit and stay, nevermind trying to do something else too!

Edited by BCNTC

• 2 months later...