Trick Of The Week - July

whatevah

Guest lolli

I am trying this with my TFT. I am having a problem though. She keeps dropping if I try to lure her front down. If I keep my hand under her she just looks at me like I'm nuts! She doesn't have a clue as to what I'm asking. So, she is doing an excellent crawl though!

Guest lolli

Sorry, I'm new to training. Do you click AS you treat? Or just after? Or just before? what is the timing supposed to be?

lolli:

Treat always follows click.

The idea is that click = treat.

If your dog does not look to you for the treat after you click, you need to go back and ensure that the association between the two are clear which is just a matter of click, treat, click, treat, click, treat, until you pause after the click and your dog looks to you for the treat.

There are heaps of threads here about clicker training, and on the net, if I haven't made things clear I suggest you do some reading up.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Someone on here should be able to help.

Happy training

Sam.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I really really wanna train my puppy this trick. so far my puppy is an eager student and learn things quickly. But her default position is sit. she will sit straight away when i try to get her attention. so far she knows how to begging, shake hand, belly rub, sit, stay/wait, drop and get a newspaper. I am hoping that i will successful teach her to bow soon. I am planning to use word "hello" instead of 'Bow'

cheers

• 5 weeks later...

After reading this last night I rushed off to find some good bait (leftover Christmas ham :( ) and started teaching Lea to bow. I was amazed at how quickly she figured it out (3 lures). She will hold the postion until I release her. If she does it, then drops her bum, I tap her on the belly and give her the treat when she is in the correct position. I didn't use the clicker (even though she understands it), I used 'Yes' when she did the right thing. I have to work on getting some distance between us, instead of her doing it right in front of me.

What hand signals do people use for this command? I am just pointing at the ground with 1 finger, so we don't mix up Drop.

Thankyou for having this trick section!!! Now I'll have to start working my way through the previous tricks.

• 3 weeks later...