Very Worried - 6 Month Old Puppy

Thanks Poodlefan. :cheer:

When the vet nurse took her leash I thought she'd lead her straight out the back but she paused and Ebony saw me leave through the glass doors. :rofl:

That little face was heartbreaking. I could see fear of abandonment. She thought I wasn't coming back. :)

Won't she be pleased to see me later!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Option 1 - Management:

I have to treat her like an old arthritic dog for her whole life.

No agility. No ball throwing. Playdates cut short.

Cartrophen injections, fish oil, Glucosamine, Chondroitin.

Option 2 - Treatment:

For approx. $5000- they can fracture her pelvis and try to realign it with the hips, but she'll still end up with arthritis, and it's not guaranteed.

Hugely invasive.

Think I'll be going option 1 and hope for the best.

Life is just not fair. My poor little girl. :rofl::)

What did she do to deserve this? She's the sweetest thing on legs.

Edited by hortfurball

Pixie recently had her darling kaeliegh pts due to other issues, but I know she was successfully managing severe HD.

Swimming was a big thing, and diet. Please PM her to ask exactly what she was doing - it made a HUGE difference.

It may also partially correct as she grows into her bones as well. Slowing down her growth, limiting her exercise etc is vitally important until she has finished growing. It is possible that with the high protein and good food she's been getting, she has grown too quickly and therefore she doesn't fit together as well atm. Building up muscle to support the hip joints will help to stabilise them.

Whatever you choose, good luck - she can still live a long and happy life with the right management.

So sorry to read this about your baby girl

My male Shar Pei has HD, he has a had femural neck extension which has helped but his other leg is gone now and I do not want to put him through it again

HD can be managed for a short period of time, my boy is on natural treatment from a naturalpath and lots of swimming

He is 4 years old now and sadly I will not have him for much longer but it has been a great 4 years

Yep! What Tramissa said :rofl: It must be devastating but there is a lot you can do - cartrophen etc is really good - just thought I'd mention that I had an excellent, highly qualified chiro here for Zig recently who has a standard oodle x something with hips that are off the scale for dysplasia - she bought this dog years ago before understanding BYB etc - she does very gentle massage and manipulation to help manage the HD....might be something worth looking into.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll do everything you can :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

The vet mentioned swimming too.

There are no dog pools in Perth are there?

Anyone know?

Will PM Pixi for advice and do a forum search too.

I've been managing my old boy's arthritis for years so am sort of used to that.

None of my dogs have ever been overweight so managing that is not an issue.

I'm used to adjusting up and down by half and quarter cups judging by the waistline.

You don't have to have a pool to go swimming :rofl: Creeks, Dams, beach etc. or do you know anyone with a backyard pool?

Swimming is unreal for building up their leg muscles and getting condition. I started my 10 year old swimming when we moved into this house in September. I can see a big difference already, that that's just 10 mins a few times a week. Now that it's getting hotter, she'll be in nearly every day.

I'm really sorry to hear this HFB.

Good luck with managing this. I don't know anything much about HD but I'm sure that DOLers with the knowledge will help you out. I know a few dogs with it that seem to manage OK. She'll be in good hands with you I'm sure.

The vet mentioned swimming too.

There are no dog pools in Perth are there?

Anyone know?

Will PM Pixi for advice and do a forum search too.

I've been managing my old boy's arthritis for years so am sort of used to that.

None of my dogs have ever been overweight so managing that is not an issue.

I'm used to adjusting up and down by half and quarter cups judging by the waistline.

Sorry to hear Horty :thumbsup:

Poor Ebony.

There is a dog pool in Canning Vale.

I do not know the exact details off the top of my head but can get it for you if you are interested..

I feed my Lab with HD Hills Science Diet JD (Joint Diet) It is brilliant!!

You need to feed for about 3 weeks to see a difference and it is not cheap to feed but it is well worth it. she is 8 been diagnosed almost 2 years ago and you would barely know she had a problem.

She bounces around like an idiot as much as I try to stop her :thumbsup:

JD has all the supplements that help with joint problems and I really cant recommend it highly enough. I know a few people who feed it and they are all happy with it.

It is only available from your vet.

Thanks for your concern and well wishes everyone.

The little girl is back from the vet. I took her outside when we got home and she immediately did a wee the good little girl (wonder how long she'd been holding on) and has been crashed on the couch ever since.

I saw the x-rays, not good. Even my untrained eye can see it's severe. they showed me a normal x-ray for comparison and it is markedly different.

The ball is right out of the joint and resting on the edge of it.

There's no way I'd be able to completely stop her exercising, as she tends to do little figure eights chasing flies in the backyard. That doesn't actually worry me too much as there are no short sharp movements, and she needs to do some exercise. I intend to keep taking her to obedience and hopefully do obedience trials with her now that agility is out of the question. Puppy playdates will resume in a few weeks under careful supervision with off leash time limited to very short social sessions, with her being on leash the majority of the time.

Her switch from Advance Puppy Growth to Advance Adult (Normal) is underway. I'll keep her weight right down to low normal, as I do with the old arthritic Kugameister.

Her Cartrophen injections will start in 2 weeks when she goes back to have her stitches out.

Oh, and am looking into the best way to get supplements into her, whether we go Sasha's Blend, change to Hills or just add the appropriate supplements like I do for Kuges, haven't decided yet.

Bikle, yes please!! I'd love details as I hate the beach :thumbsup: Yes I know, I'm odd.

It's all that soft sand you see, bad for her. :thumbsup: Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :thumbsup: