Bayliss

ish

Bayliss was the first dog that was my very own. He was a beautiful German Shepherd Dog, gold with not enough black, light eyes and the most east/west feet possible! To me he looked like the ideal GSD.

He was the cheekiest dog on the planet, always pinching socks, barking at cats and loved rough play. He excelled at obedience at a young age and was sick of it by two years old and decided that off lead recalls meant he could play chasey. He loved puppies of any breed and dispite his size could be trusted to play gently with them.

When we moved to a farm when he was two, he would spend all day watching the sheep. Not because he sensed some long ago link between GSDs and sheep, but because he loved meat! He loved going for a run with the motorbike through the paddocks and up the hills.

Bayliss became sick on a Monday, off his food. This wasnt uncommon (just making sure I loved him) but he was sick enough to go to the vet on the Wednesday. Vet didnt have many answers, just some meds to fix the runs. On Friday he was really down and uncomfortable. Back to the vet, I'm sent home. X-rays show bad news and hes rushed into surgery. His large intestine had twisted over, cutting off the blood supply. I didnt get to say goodbye, he was 2 and a half.

His grave overlooks his sheep and reads

Bayliss

6/10/00 - 19/7/03

The most loved dog that ever there was

He lived life to the limit, we all miss him

He's a real shepherd now

One year ago and it still hurts like it was today. I love you Bailey.

It always hurts :) but you're wonderful Bayliss will always be with you, believe me. I have two canine companions in 14mths, one only just 2 weeks ago at 9mths.I have their photos on the wall .My other Collie, who is 7yrs, stares at their photos every day and has a chat with both of them.

Your Bayliss sounds like a wonderful dog. I'm sure he is watching over you, your guardian from above.

I lost my gorgeous GSD X Geryhound bitch 4 years ago this past May- every year on the anniversary of her passing I take some flowers and go to the place I call 'Sasha's Park' as it was the park at which we stopped for a toilet break on the way home from adopting her. It's still hard after all this time, but the happy memories soon take over the sad :D

My sympathies go out to you in this difficult time.

• 7 months later...

Todays not an annaversary or anything, I just really miss him today. I stopped at his grave while I fed the others and had a chat. He was such a great dog.

My beautiful Bailey, i see you everyday in the things you have passed on to your cheeky neice Chili rat face, she loves the puppies just like you did, annoys the cats just as much as you did and I wouldn't trust her with the sheep if my life depended on it! I miss you especially swimming at the weir, you were always so worried that someone would go out too far. Poor Chili couldnt swim well enough to save herself let alone anyone else! You were always with me, and did well at anything we did together, bike rides, obedience, long car drives to Ballarat. I miss you mate, hope you have lots of puppies to play with at the bridge. Just because I have others, doesnt mean I've forgotten about you. You will always be my special boy, I hope you know that. If I had one wish it would be to have been there with you at the end.

post-19-1110281191.jpg

So sad for your loss, you will always have him in your heart and soul, he too can share Rielys poem. I have a copy of this poem on my bedroom door and when I feel sad I read it, then talk to him in his urn.

RIP Bayliss another angel in heaven

• 4 months later...

Two years ago today my beautiful Bayliss left for the bridge.

He was the cutest baby

babynew2.jpg

babynew.jpg

As a leggy teenager

leggy.jpg

With Monster

bayliss03.jpg

Easter '03

bayliss01.jpg

His favourite spot amongst the fruit trees where he could watch the sheep, this is where he now lies.

bayliss02.jpg

Bayliss taught me that love really is a German Shepherd dog, just like the stickers say. He taught me that sometimes life is about quality not quantity, he was only 2 1/2 when he died but he lived hard. He taught me that once you've had a german shepherd dog by your side, you can't be without one and when he died he sent a little piece of himself down into his neice Chili rat face who reminds me daily of Bayliss's love and gentle nature.

Whether it was riding around the paddocks at the farm on the motorbike, sleeping on my bed at gran and grandpas, being bandaged all over by all my class mates at tafe, being a star at german shepherd club or just running around the backyard, his happy nature and classic looks as well as that ability to sense my moods made him the most special dog in the world to me and I miss him everyday.

Your special friend Monster has now joined you Bayliss, I know you'll be happy playing with her. Watch that slippery wet grass when you're running around ( he often lost his front legs when running and would proceed to slide on the side of his face with his back legs still going like crazy, whenever I see a dog do this now, they're "doing a Bayliss!") Look after all the other GSDs who are missed here and know that we still love you.

• 11 months later...

Another year has gone by without Bayliss by my side. Feels like it was yesterday he was sick and I left him with the vet - but at the same time alot has happened in these 3 years.

I hope Bailey knows how often I think of him and how high he set the bar for what I expect temperament wise in my dogs and pups I breed. Although he was never used at stud, Baileys bloodlines are right through my breeding program through his 'almost sister' Cindy, mum of Checa and Desmo, and his niece Chili.

As unlucky as I feel I am, to lose Bayliss the way I did - I feel equally as lucky to have fluked such a special dog first up, cementing my thoughts that GSDs are the breed for me.

Aside from all that, I was exceptionally lucky to have him as my best mate, even for a short time.

Bayliss, I know that your final resting place is a few hundred k's away from where I live now but you're always close by in my heart. We wondered if you and Zac would've been friends, if you had met, and I think you would have - so take care of each other. Don't break the squeakers in his squeaky star straight away mate, and Zac, don't heatbutt Bailey too much. You boys have broken my heart but I take comfort in knowing you have each other, plus Monsty who you both adored.

I miss you Bailey, you'll always be my special boy

:rofl::thumbsup: :rolleyes: bayliss take care of all our special friends at the bridge , i hope u find my dodge and become great mates.. your mum wrote about you, and i think you and dodge will get along great,, thats if he hasnt already found you...

what a beautiful looking dog Bayliss was sounds like you and he had a wonderful time together, no matter how long we have our dogs be it one year or 14 years its just never long enough, the unconditiional love they give us can never be found anywhere else, hope you've found my Labby King and my 2 Sheps Nicky and Blackie Bayliss, they were at the Bridge long before you got there, King at 5 months, Nicky at 5 years and Blackie at 11 years, they'll make sure you're okay and Monster as well, I still miss my babies like crazy after all these years, although my 6yr old Labby Whisky helps keep my mind focused, life goes on kisses and hugs you you all.

If I had one wish it would be to have been there with you at the end.

But you WERE.

Or am I stupid in believing that we can be with someone spiritually?

Just my opinion but I firmly believe that we are always with the ones we love no matter how far apart we are.

Night night Bayliss Angel. :cry: Forever young now. :love::laugh:

• 11 months later...

Its been 4 years since the original best dog in the world died.

A couple of weeks ago, the movie "I am Sam" was on the telly - know the scene where Sam is running along a hallway with a cake or pizza, slips over and slides on his face? Reminds me of Bailey, he was such a clumsy dog - I laughed and laughed when I saw it in the movie, and thought of him.

One of my favourite memories of Bayliss was when we lived in Wodonga, he was out on the verandah lazying around. I was upset about something, no idea what. I went outside to get some firewood, Bailey must've known I was upset because he tried to make me play. I had a huge chunk of wood and he put his mouth around it, trying to get me to chase him. Big goose.

Another was when my and my friends went swimming at the waterhole in Yackandandah. My friend Krispy was teasing him and swam out a fair way before crying out for him and pretending she was drowning. Bayliss swam all the way out to her, and she splashed him in the face! He was so offended, he wouldn't look at her for days!!

Bayliss, you big Rat, you're never far from my mind. I'm glad Chili is so like you in temperament and in the near future new families will get to experience their own best mate with her babies - with you both passing on the best temperament I've come across in a dog.

I hope you're looking after Monster and Zac and that Chili's poor boy puppy found you. Your beautiful dad Danny passed away a few weeks ago, play nicely - you're both the top dog.

Love you mate, miss you